Join Early Retirement Today

Calming down
Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Calming down

With all the noise about oil prices, inflation, SS fuding....sometimes I just need to calm down. I usually go back to basics and concentrate my thoughts on what I actually have control over such as savings rate, asset allocation, low cost funds, lower fees, etc. What do some of you do to get past all the noise and distractions and, as Mr. Bogle likes to say, "stay the course?"

Elroy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Calming down
Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It really is hard to take the emotion out of it sometimes. I think that is just human nature.

It helps to have a plan that you stick to. These kinds of days (and worse) are a good time to think about how you truly feel about the amount of risk you are willing to take.

Take a deep breath and think long term.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Find something to distract you.

I see all these conversations worrying about everything and trying to find the right place to be, but for the most part I'm not even checking my portfolio lately. I'm happy with my long term passive strategy and so that helps.

But the big thing is I have other distractions in my life. To keep it really brief without hijacking the thread, I'm quitting my job, moving to another state and then finding another job, so I have enough on my mind that there's no room for investment worries.

If you don't have a good distraction, cheat on your spouse. That will add some complications. (JUST KIDDING! NOT recommended.) Seriously, sometimes you need to break away from this and other financial BBSes, quit going to the money sites and don't watch the financial news. The commercial stuff is designed to keep this in your mind, and the forums are full of people discussing their worries. Sometimes you have to push it away for a while to get your mind back on other things.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #4

Take a trip to any poverty-stricken area of the world.

I went to Africa last year -- gave me a whole new perspective on just how WELL things are going for me here. If every dime I had disappeared in a puff of smoke I'd still be better off than some of the poor bastards I saw over there.

A cheaper alternative, if you've kept financial records, is to take the focus off of tomorrow for a second and look at how far you've COME. I tote up my savings every month when the statements come in and put it on a spreadsheet. I LOVE looking at the totals from three, five, seven years ago!

Good Luck!
Caroline

Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 AM   #5

A cheaper alternative, if you've kept financial records, is to take the focus off of tomorrow for a second and look at how far you've COME. I tote up my savings every month when the statements come in and put it on a spreadsheet. I LOVE looking at the totals from three, five, seven years ago!

That's really good advice, and what I do myself sometimes, when I start to get worried. For instance, factoring in yesterday's drop, I've fallen about $19,000 from an all-time peak I hit just on May 9. But I'm still ahead of where I was on, say, March 9th, by about $5,000. And I'm still about $78K ahead of where I was this time last year.

So overall, things could be worse.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #6

I agree. I focus on long term trends. I keep an Excel chart like the attached:

Grumpy

Attached Files
File Type: doc PortfolioGrowth3.doc (22.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too. It puts things in perspective, on a personal level, when you can see the progress being made. Makes the dip a little easier to tough out.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Find something to distract you.
Right on BMJ! Otherwise known as having a life.

This is about the corniest thing ever, but here it goes...

A couple of years ago in the midst of stressing about some market turmoil I got a fortune cookie that read "Relax, you will always have everything you need" It was what I needed to hear at the time and made me feel better. The market goes up, it goes down, we have out goals, etc. but here we are and we have everything we truly need.