Join Early Retirement Today

can i?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

can i?

can i put 125,000 cash into an ira? is there a limit

whats the dif between roth ira and ira

i have 125,000 bucks and i want to invest it somewhere and watch it grow. but i need returns of at least 10%

this is lump sum i want to start out with

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeennis View Post

i have 125,000 bucks and i want to invest it somewhere and watch it grow. but i need returns of at least 10%

Welcome to the board.

Roth IRA: Post tax but grows tax free and withdrawal of principal is allowed without penalty.
Traditional IRA: Pre tax, but grows tax deferred, with any withdrawal causing a taxable and penalty accruing event.

Traditional IRA and Roth IRA Contribution Limits

You cannot drop a flat 125k into an ira due to contribution limits. Depending on your income of course, but it is likely to be a good idea to drop 4k into a roth ira this year, and DCA the 125k into a taxable stock account (indexes at Vanguard) over the next year.

As for "at least 10%" ... the stock market is not guaranteed by the FDIC =D Some years you will break even and be lucky, some years you will lose money, some years you will gain money. The average over a "long enough period of time" seems to be 10%, but this does not imply that each year you gain 10% =D

I am so not touching the "What should I invest in" question there but look at Vanguard's indexes and pick some low cost ones that have returns and risk that is likely to be a good idea for you and your family.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A little more info. in your title, please and I think your questions could be answered by a simple google search...
Old 12-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeennis View Post

You can NOT put $125k in an IRA (unless it is already in a tax deferred plan like a 401k, in which case you can roll that money over into an IRA). You can only put annually into an IRA the lesser of your earned income for the year or $4000.

You will have to invest the $125k in a taxable investment account.

IF you are content to let the investment ride for a LONGTERM (10+ years), then equities "may" average out over the ten + years to get you 10% return. You simply cannot count on every year making 10%, year in and year out.