Join Early Retirement Today
Can you shed some light on these "scheduled distributions?"
Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Can you shed some light on these "scheduled distributions?"

So my Mom forwarded me a message from what looks like HSI Baltimore talking about great advantages of "scheduled distributions."

Sounds like another "too good to be true" story so I'm just looking for some info.

Here's an excerpt from the message:
On June 15th, 2009, Dayton Superior Corp.
is required by federal law to pay investors a 97% "Scheduled Distribution"...

Right now, more than 100 companies are issuing abnormally large, 1-day payouts to their investors.

Why would they do that?

Well... businesses need money to grow. But banks aren't lending to anyone right now. So some companies are willing to make ridiculously large, one-time "Scheduled Distributions" to entice ordinary Americans to invest.

And while most companies are cutting their dividends or doing away with them entirely these "Scheduled Distributions" are getting bigger and bigger.

Here's just a small sampling of what you could've been paid in 2008:

98% on September 1st: Atherogenics (pharmaceuticals)
31% on October 6th: Tribune Co. (newspapers)
66% on February 15th: Sea Containers (shipping)
74% on July 1st: Interep National Radio Sales (media)

What's amazing is that even though many stocks are at their lowest levels in decades, some investors are making a killing from "Scheduled Distributions"...

Robert Mann of Buffalo, NY, put $15,000 into the power supplier, Cherokee Int. Corp., in September 2008. Just one month later he pocketed $6,000 a 40% "Scheduled Distribution" plus the $15,000 he originally invested.

Ray Ludman of Newport Beach, CA, invested $10,000 in the grocery chain, Winn Dixie, in November 2006. Just 17 months later on April 1, 2008, he got his $10,000 stake back... PLUS, he collected a "Scheduled Distribution" of 71% -- putting an extra $7,100 in his bank account.

And the calendar for 2009 is looking even better...

LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Where's the part about "invest with us now! We'll make you rich! (oh, but don't ask us about any tax impacts from this short term investment secret"? ?

-- Rita

Only got A dimple, would have preferred 2!
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
I have a deal for you too, cash please and in small bills (to paraphrase R. Heinlein.)

I'll bet they're using a play on words to lure suckers. Mutual Funds and such will have recurring distributions that look like capital gains to the tax man and might look like income, but all they do is "devalue" the worth of the existing shares and increase the number of shares in the portfolio.

This is why you need to be wary about buying mutual funds at the time that these distributions usually occur (with ours it's the end of the year, can't speak for others.) You could end up with a taxable gain and no net gain in portfolio value.

All the percentages shown are likely just come-ons, I mean why would anybody just give you money?
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by deepc View Post
All the percentages shown are likely just come-ons, I mean why would anybody just give you money?
Well, the specific instance you're referring to is called, in technical terms, an "annuity". You give someone a bunch of money and for a recurring fee they promise to almost certainly give it back.

But I wonder how much of the "scheduled distributions" is really a return of principal. Brought to you by hucksters without principle...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
scheduled distributions are identified properly here
Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets
scheduled distributions are identified properly here

Get your “Scheduled Distribution” Now — Better than Stocks! Stock Gumshoe

This article ID's and gives a good discussion of what "True Value " newsletter wants you to believe you cant get any where else.

Lso included are links to evaluate each of these options through FINRA and appropriate warnings to do your research as well. Good luck....
gabatsns is offline   Reply With Quote