Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandus13 View Post
P.S. would the new start-stop feature drive you crazy in DC stop-and-go traffic?
I don’t know about the OP, but it would drive me crazy. I was thinking about a Chevy Traverse and the new model has stop start. All models have it and you can’t shut it off. I thought about buying a older car, but then just went ahead and made due with what I have (LBYM).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have Toyota Corolla (10 yo) and a Honda Accord (8 yo). Neither has ever had a repair. Just regular maintenance and new brakes as needed. The Toyota gets the better gas mileage but is a smaller car.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I have Civic and has been bullet proof.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Five and a half year old 2013 Corolla has needed tires, wiper blades, new brake pads, and finally a battery at around five years. Some issues with wear on the plastic on the door frames, car is kept outside. 43k miles. Mileage is so-so, averages 25-26. Lots of hills here, even going to the grocery store, which is a 400 foot difference in elevation. Small engines do NOT like climbing hills. Reasonably comfortable, mostly manual controls except the touch screen for the radio. Can't see it in bright light. Acceleration is pretty weak. Expensive to buy used around here. Might cost $9-10K, maybe more at the Toyota dealer. I paid $15k at the end of 2012.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Mazda 3s are very reliable and a bit more upscale than Civics and Corollas. Also they handle better.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:05 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Might want to read this post (or whole thread) before buying a new Honda:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...09546#p4009546
I had seen the reviews about the Honda seats before we bought, and it was a concern. We test drove, of course. After owning for 7+ months, including some 4+ hour trips, the seats have been fine.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

We do not even bother going to the domestic (so called) auto dealers. For us it is Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai/Kia and a look at Lexus and Acura. Though our first go to's are always Toyota and Honda.

It is not only the vehicle for us. We see, and have experienced, large differences in the quality of the service depts between the domestic and foreign dealerships.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #68

I have noticed the difference here in Houston with domestic VS the foreign manufacturers. I go onto a Chevrolet lot and they treat me like I am buying something special and you do not negotiate. Ford is similar . I go to Hyundai , Kia they will make a deal no matter what . Toyota and Honda are both easy to deal with but not as easy as the Koreans . I can't understand why I just cannot deal on an American Manufacturer. ...Used to
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #69

Really, for commuting, a hybrid (gas/electric, not plug-in) will meet the requirement for good gas mileage and reasonable price. Rather than new, look for cars coming off lease, and those for sale by rental car companies. They come with a warranty. I know you are interested in something your husband can maintain, and the internal combustion engine still needs maintainence. Both Ford Toyota have good reputations. Kia/Hyundai have been off-again/on-again with hybrids. That is like Chevrolet some years they manufacture, other years they don't.

Use Cargurus.com for search of cars on local lots (they even provide a look at the maintenance and accident records), google the rental car agencies for sales.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I had seen the reviews about the Honda seats before we bought, and it was a concern. We test drove, of course. After owning for 7+ months, including some 4+ hour trips, the seats have been fine.
Be sure to check your dipstick regularly:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...?f=11&t=244271
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:17 AM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

***UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST******

We bought a certified pre-owned 2013 Honda Civic LX with 33,000 miles. It had one previous owner. It was a no-haggle price of $11,900 and out the door price of $13,540. It comes with 7 years of free oil changes, tire rotations, and VA state inspections.

Probably not the deal of the century but it will do the job.
ohyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #72

5 year old car with low mileage? Great buy!