Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Car advice? Want combo of good mileage/price/maintenance
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are moving back to the US after 3 years of military overseas. We are bringing back with us our 2 identical 2006 Honda Odysseys. My husband is a YouTube hobby mechanic and keeps them in good running condition. Once we get to NoVA, we plan on buying a commuter car. We will leave one van with our au pair/kids during the day, I’ll drive one van, and my husband will need a vehicle to get to his work place 45 minutes away (not far via mileage, but downtown DC.)
Based on googling, I was considering a 2018-ish Honda Fit. It wouldn’t fit our entire family (4 kids) but our current Euro-spec Kia Cerrato doesn’t either and it works for us. Any feedback on the Fit? Any other options I should consider? Should I look for a few years older? I don’t have a problem (at all!) buying used but it didn’t seem to depreciate enough to be worth it. I’ll take any advice!
ohyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IF I were looking and if I tended to keep my car for a long time I would look at Honda Fit, Honda Civic, and Toyota Corolla. New or used. Civic and Corolla will give you more options in terms of size. Civic, and I think Corolla, just went through a body change in the past year or so. That that may positively impact the price of pre owned units for buyer.

If I were buying a car simply for commuting, Honda Fit would be at the very top of my list.

It often pays to spend a little more upfront to get something that will provide more value over time. Our last Camry lasted 20 years with no major issues. Currently running a 2006 Accord and a 2007 Solara. No plans to replace either.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

*IF* I needed something for commuting (thank GOD I am not!) I would be looking at something 3-4 years old with less than 50K miles and it would be either a Corolla or a Civic. That type of commute will be brutal on ANY car (and brakes) so I would want something that is cheap to acquire and maintain.

No way I would buy a BRAND NEW anything for a commuter car. No way. No how.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Heck, let him live a bit and buy a Corvette...

You can all ride in one of the vans if you need to go...

j/k
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

In my area Subarus are very popular. Find a used one.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
In my area Subarus are very popular. Find a used one.
Subarus seem to be gaining A LOT of popularity recently. I live in an affluent area in the NW 'burbs of ATL (not what I would consider the Subaru demographic) and have noticed that they are multiplying!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought a new 2005 Prius. The best mileage it ever got (~60 mpg) was in stop-and-go traffic in rush hour going around the D.C. beltway. My daughter is still driving it and loves it. I think it has something like 180k miles on it.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
gone traveling

With raising two kids, I'd put safety first in consideration. With spending a lot of time in it, comfortable seat & ride would be next.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #9

A Prius will be at its best crawling through downtown traffic.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

j/k

Problem solved! I don’t know why I didn’t think of a Corvette!! :-D

Seriously though, it looks like I’ll be checking out Corollas and Civics in addition to the Fit.
ohyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Bunches of Subies here in Oregon. Sister & BIL have been through 3 Foresters and nephew has an Outback. The Foresters regularly trounce my Mazda CX5 on fuel economy & have more storage room. I like to think the CX5 is a bit more lux and perkier to drive.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd go for a Nissan Altima..we have one, terrific mileage, quit possibly the most comfortable seating car we have ever owned. It also has an extremely roomy back seat. We'd done day trips with four adults and never had a problem.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #13

Pretty much all the car manufacturers make a decent product, pick a model you like and go with it. I prefer to buy used, and some certified domestic used cars still have many miles on the 100,000 mile warranty.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'd also look at a used Prius. Owners love them and they seem to last forever. Not to mention the fuel economy and roominess for a small car.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I too suggest the Prius. If they hold up in Manhattan taxi service, they would make a great commuter car. Now, they are larger, more comfortable and less weird in styling.

We have a new generation Hybrid 2018 Camry. It is downright quick and so quiet. We get 52 mpg in town and 48.5 mpg on interstates. And no one would know it is a hybrid if wasn't so silent and smooth. At $26k, it also wasn't a bad priced car.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:00 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

j/k
I bought a honda fit with 100k miles on it and drove it 2 years, 90 miles a day with great mpg and oil changes only. But...I drove my vette to
DC last month and had a great time
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

After decades of preferring GM, last year we bought our first Honda, a CRV, and love it. Pretty good US content too. I would say go with Civic or Accord.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have a 2012 Honda Fit and overall really like the car. But if you are considering getting one, my suggestion is to get a newer model with built-in back up and lane change camera. Also, the newer model has better acceleration as the one I have (despite being a sport model) is pretty slow. Also, hopefully, the A/C is stronger in the newer models as Fits are known for the greenhouse effect large glass windshield.

I do love the cargo area and the way the backs seats configure for hauling different sized things around, but MPG is very good. Not hybrid-like, but good.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I too suggest the Prius. If they hold up in Manhattan taxi service, they would make a great commuter car. Now, they are larger, more comfortable and less weird in styling.
Yeah, I am going to have to disagree with the underlined portion. The newer ones look like they...um, well, I can't say it on the forum. They are still UGLY, UGLY cars.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'd go for a Nissan Altima..we have one, terrific mileage, quit possibly the most comfortable seating car we have ever owned. It also has an extremely roomy back seat. We'd done day trips with four adults and never had a problem.
I also have a nissan but a versa. Very roomy as i am 6'3 275 lb and plenty of room. 38mpg bought ours new in 2012 OTD price of just under 13k with a lifetime engine warranty. Only thing i have had to replace was 1 battery 1 belt and 1 plug change. Still running on the original brake pads at 160k miles
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote