Join Early Retirement Today

Car fund vs IRA
Old 09-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Car fund vs IRA

Right now, my car is getting old so i'm in the process of saving for it. However, i cant quite yet afford to max my Roths (in addition to my TSP(401k)).

Would i be better off saving money in a taxable mutual fund so that i can eventually buy the car I want with cash and not have to finance, or use that money to finish off my IRA's but be forced to finance my next car when it does give out?

I'm just afraid by the time she does give out, interest rates will be sky high again. My other concern is I dont want to just be so typical and have to borrow to buy a car.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Car fund vs IRA
Old 09-14-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

it depends what sort of car you're looking for. if you're going to buy a brand new car then you should be fine for financing. if it's a used car then you might have to pay a bit more in interest, but the long-term tax benefits of maxing out your roth should far outstrip the interest costs.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cant get one of those low or no interest deals the car companies are offering?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:06 PM   #4

It'd probably be a new car. I prefer to buy new, but save by owning them a long time (mine now is 10 years old and i'm gonna keep her as long as possible).

Yes i could get a low interest rate now, but maybe not 3-4 years from now. So i have to decide do i sock away this extra cash i have into a taxable fund or just finish off my Roth and count on financing the car.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Why dontcha put the money in the roth, and if you cant get a low/no interest rate loan, you can withdraw the contribution amount (but not the gains) without tax. At least I think you can...check the roth rules on the irs web site. Then if you need it, you got it, if you dont, you dont.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #6

I'm fairly sure you have to hold the Roth for 5 years before withdrawing principal, but I may be confusing things with conversions.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 PM   #7

Yeah, i think your right on that TH. *Withdrawing contributions is not considered a "qualified distribution" if done before 59 1/2 and/or prior to having a roth 5 years, but non-qualified distributions of Roths dont necesssarily incur penalities. *My understanding is that contributions can always be taken out of a Roth both penality and tax free at any time, regardless of age.

Ok yeah i'll probably do that then.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Jim - I think the 5 year period is minimum for a tax free qualified withdrawal. I believe you can ALWAYS withdraw principal tax free, as you already paid taxes on it. Its the gains that are taxable if they're non-qualified withdrawals.

So if you put 6k into a roth, and its worth 8k, you can take your 6k back out after a year or two if you wish. You just cant put it back, you'll continue to be limited by the annual contribution maximum.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:33 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It'd probably be a new car. I prefer to buy new, but save by owning them a long time (mine now is 10 years old and i'm gonna keep her as long as possible).
Good idea.

My only suggestion: buy a car that will suit your needs in ten years. I have a little two-door coupe, and I'd keep it except it's too darn small. In retrospect, I wish I would have gotten a four door or a slightly larger car.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Boy I wish you could figure THAT out.

Last time I bought a car, I was single, living in a mcmansion, making a million bucks a year. Now I'm married, expecting a baby, living in a smaller house, retired, and living off my investments.

:P
Old 09-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Last time I bought a car, I was single, living in a mcmansion, making a million bucks a year. *Now I'm married, expecting a baby, living in a smaller house, retired, and living off my investments.
So, I guess that means you now need a minivan that looks like either a Cadillac or a Town Car?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well we're going to suffer with my Expedition and her Rav4, both of which should continue to serve us well for another 5-7 years!

But my BMW convertible and my Infiniti Q45 and her Corvette have gone by the wayside...
Old 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Pay Yourself First.

The car fund should be a secondary priority.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #14

No advice on the "fund" question, but a few
observations re. cars.

In my big spender days we drove Cadillacs. All
behind me now. I will never again incur debt to
drive a car, or any vehicle. Right now we have a Jeep
Cherokee with 202,000 miles and a Dodge Ram pick-up
with 140,000 miles. No plans to replace either anytime
soon. However, my sense of style prevents me from
driving a rust-bucket, or allowing my spouse to do so.
At one time I thought maybe my "biker"
career would end at the same time we needed a newer
vehicle. But, I am still riding (the bike) and so our
current arrangement will need to continue for a while.
The way I look at it is that I can afford the basic
minimal repairs until the wheels fall off, as long as
the vehicle still looks good.

John Galt
Old 09-16-2004, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Well we're going to suffer with my Expedition and her Rav4, both of which should continue to serve us well for another 5-7 years!
I dunno, maybe it's just my paranoia, but one of the first things I did when we had a kid was buy a new car. I kept the old Explorer as my kayak-toting beater, but the kid only travels in the new SUV with lower/wider/better suspension, rollover protection, anchored child-seat, traction control, etc.

But then I'm always looking for any excuse to buy a new toy
Old 09-16-2004, 11:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Tell ya what. I'll strap my kid into that expedition and we can play chicken.

Unless you're driving something with "peterbuilt" or "mack" emblazoned on it...
Old 09-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #17

Meet my new pickup truck (purchased especially for the occasion)*

Old 09-17-2004, 07:06 AM   #18

Hi Wab. Still on the diet. Only a little cheating

With a truck like that no one would ever call you a
girlyman

Re. the Rumsfeld quote that appears on all of your posts, I'll bet whoever wrote that thought they had tapped into a speechwriter's dream phrase. Probably
worked a lot better on paper than when he actually delivered it.

John Galt
Old 09-17-2004, 07:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I saw that truck the other day. Have to pick one up the next time I need to haul 20 tons...

Reminded me of that hyundai commercial making fun of everybody driving tractors and dump trucks. Real life taking the fun out of commercials...
Old 09-17-2004, 07:52 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I heard that that monster gets 6-8 miles to the gallon. If and when I ever see someone driving one of those on the road I'll be sure a have a good laugh. Most likely I'll see one at the gas station.

That vehicle is not compatible with LBYM!

Tags
ira