Career advice - lateral move for less stress?

After 3 1/2 years you were probably at the point of diminishing returns in that job being a good learning experience, so unless a big promotion were imminent a change would be prudent anyway.
+1

Congratulations! I'm late to the thread but agree with others that you made the right decision. After 3 1/2 years you were probably at the point of diminishing returns in that job being a good learning experience so unless a big promotion were imminent a change would be prudent anyway.
+1 I think of my career as stable (one Federal agency for 31 years) but I changed every few years from one specialty to another (or a promotion) within a broad field and one complete field change over the course of that time. There was one area in HR that I enjoyed more than the others and I could see making a decision to specialize and forgo promotions to pursue something that works particularly well for you. But it wasn't quite that rosy for me. All things considered I am glad I bounced around - it probably kept me from getting depressed.

Staggerlee,

Congrats.

Still curious about the non union thing. I lived in NY for awhile and know numerous state employees. All are union. Just curious.

Big Dawg

Thanks BigDawg. There are a few thousand state employees who are designated management/confidential. These are political appointees but also people who deal with budgets, personnel, and other sensitive material. We aren't unionized.

So did it end up being the same salary and how is your boss acting now that you have decided to go?

It's the same salary but I will continue to get my annual performance increases plus 2% COLAs. My boss is out on vacation but I called him and told him I decided to take the job prior to his departure. It was a brief conversation, he was pretty short with me. "Yep, figured you would take it since you did the second interview. Anything else?"

In contrast, I got a very nice "welcome to the team" email from one of my new supervisors. I've asked around about him and he is well-liked and respected.

Well, what a nice farewell from the boss you worked your tail off for. Enjoy your new position.

That your boss didn't say "Congratulations I'm very happy for you" is extremely telling. You were wise to move, he's a jerk, and actually much worse but this forum doesn't let me type it.

A (good) manager's number one goal should be to promote and advance her/his team. Even if I wasn't happy to lose someone, I still faked it!

Staggerlee,

Congrats.

Still curious about the non union thing. I lived in NY for awhile and know numerous state employees. All are union. Just curious.

Big Dawg

I spent the first 15 years as a unionized civil servant and the last 10 as a non unionized non civil servant but maintained some protections such as bumping rights in case of layoffs and rights for some discipline cases, once you promote to management you give up a lot for the money. Also my agency would hire managers off the street and they were at will employees.

I spent the first 15 years as a unionized civil servant and the last 10 as a non unionized non civil servant but maintained some protections such as bumping rights in case of layoffs and rights for some discipline cases, once you promote to management you give up a lot for the money. Also my agency would hire managers off the street and they were at will employees.

Yep. But you have some more flexibility and more opportunities for advancement - generally.

That your boss didn't say "Congratulations I'm very happy for you" is extremely telling. You were wise to move, he's a jerk, and actually much worse but this forum doesn't let me type it.

A (good) manager's number one goal should be to promote and advance her/his team. Even if I wasn't happy to lose someone, I still faked it!
Agreed. It doesn't take much to say "I'm sorry to lose you; you'll be missed".

I agree, if I didn't take the management plunge I would probably still be w*rking.

I took the management plunge in 2009 and don't regret it. It was a calculated experiment to see if it would make my work more interesting after hitting a plateau in my 40s, ensure that I put all my education and personal expectations to their maximum use that I could during my career and, yes, increase my compensation. I've gone as high as national VP and, at 50 trying to ER at 55, I've been able recently to change orgs, step down a rung yet maintain my income, while finding a far better manager than I had in the VP role. Most of my moves have either had me looking forward to the next one after assessing things at the 18 month mark due to unfixable BS Bucket issues, or getting a bad surprise in a job I liked when a good manager left or something else shuffled the deck. I like my current situation but am wary that a shoe will drop and change something. No matter how well I assess an opportunity going in, Camelot never lasts long, it seems. Thanks to my savings habits and FU money, I might well finish it all out as a solo contributor again for a good org with a non-psycho boss and if the job seems independent and enjoyable.

Congrats to the OP for not doing what so many in a bad situation do, which is to let life happen to them by staying in a bad situation and become an unenjoyable complainy-pants. Better to try something else, even if you're unsure of it, if you think it might give you more options for the thing after that, whatever it may be.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats to the OP for not doing what so many in a bad situation do, which is to let life happen to them by staying and become a complainy-pants. Better to try something else, even if you're unsure of it, if you think it might give you more options for the thing after that, whatever it may be. [/QUOTE]

I discussed my transfer date with my boss yesterday and he had a few :LOL: comments.

"I'm just trying to understand why you're leaving. We work great together."
Overall, yes, but his manic, always-stressed demeanor frequently makes me stressed by association. I guess he's oblivious to it. I'm ready for some calmer managers/coworkers dude!

"I'll be shocked if you ever work past 5:30 at this new job."
Again, he views the grueling hours we endure as some kind of badge of honor.

"You're not going to have as many opportunities for advancement there."
Maybe, maybe not. But I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Still have not received something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to see you go, but good luck in the new position."

This is funny. Were you thinking, "You are so right! Yippee!"

I discussed my transfer date with my boss yesterday and he had a few :LOL: comments.

"

What did you decide? Good luck and I agree with all the advice here. If you are going to work insane hours, try to steer your career out of public sector. Working those hours in private equity or investment banking will be much more financially rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

"I'm just trying to understand why you're leaving. We work great together."
Overall, yes, but his manic, always-stressed demeanor frequently makes me stressed by association. I guess he's oblivious to it. I'm ready for some calmer managers/coworkers dude!

Again, he views the grueling hours we endure as some kind of badge of honor.

"You're not going to have as many opportunities for advancement there."
Maybe, maybe not. But I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Still have not received something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to see you go, but good luck in the new position."

Did you have any reply to these comments,the guy seems to be oblivious about mentoring or creating a positive work environment.

Back
Top Bottom