Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm an ex computer guy - I took advantage of tuition reimbursement from my employer and spent 3 years getting my MBA - I was 29. The box was checked and I never looked back. My biggest promotions were based on character and performance.

When you graduate with your bachelors - you go out and party - when you get your MBA you go home and mow the grass!
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the insight everyone! I guess I should also have mentioned I wanted to knock this out while I am still childless and without a house so dedicating 2 nights a week or some weekends doesn't mean the lawn doesn't get mowed or the kids get left alone all night. I've heard enough horror stories from a family friend who went to Med school and had a young kid (married out of undergrad and child right away).

Megacorp is going through some interesting times right now, and without going into too much detail has been in the news a lot the past 3 years or so. I figure making sure I get the free education while the going is good is better than waiting a few years and trying to do it later when it makes more career sense but without the certainty of covered tuition.
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Presentation skills were a number one priority in Officer Candidate School. You would not be commissioned if you couldn't do a basic presentation. "Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, tell them what you told them." It's been over 30 years since this was told to me but I guess things learned under tremendous pressure tend to stick!

It is possible that they put to much emphasis on. I recently finish Sec. Bob Gates book Duty. His negative comments about the Powerpoint culture in the Pentagon are every bit as nasty (and funny) as his comments about Congress. He list failing to stem the obsession with Powerpoint among young officer was one of his biggest failures on the job.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote