Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're making me think again. Cut that out!

I'm going to skip my college years because there are just too many to remember.
College graduation to 1983 - small engine mechanic, sub teacher, house cleaner, cashier, think tank technical staffer, yadda yadda yadda
1983 to 1988 - software and computer system management for 3 different contractors.
1988 to 2007 - entered federal service but changed positions voluntarily from lab experimenter to plans/programs support staffer to contracts manager, then back to lab experimenter and program manager.
I was never bored.

If going to w*rk right now feels like going to the dentist to get 10 teeth drilled without Novacaine, and you have the opportunity to make a positive move, go for it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Firm A was just under 8 years.
Then 2 years at graduate school.
Then just under 4 years at firm B.
Then just over 10 years at firm C.
Then several temp jobs over 8 months.
And currently 9 years at firm D as of today.

While I haven't worked at any one place for much over 10 years, firm D will likely see me for another 3 to 3.25 years because I'll be retiring then. I just don't see taking on the hassles of taking on a new position for such a short period. The one saving factor for me was that firm C and firm D contribute to the same retirement system. Otherwise, I'd probably be looking for another job and looking to work at least another 10 years.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Son-in-law changes jobs every two years more or less. Important thing is that he's never burned a bridge in the process.
Yup leaving every job with the possibility that you could go back if they are still in business is great, and at least in the game industry, the majority of my jobs have been because of great contacts made at previous jobs or college.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have spent 31 years with my last employer and have run the full job cycle. Aggressive early, job promotions, big raises and relocations. Now I barely get reviewed, being in an advisory position I am largely on my own. However, who knows how long this run will last. The one big thing is that I saw this coming years ago and planned for ER. Now Ive got 18 weeks until I could bail out, but who's counting? I have no regrets about hanging through some tough times and not jumping from job to job. But that's just me/
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I think jumping from job to job has a lot to do with the type of job. Nothing wrong with it if there is pension to protect by staying. When it's time to go ya gotta go.

I was in the car biz and was in 4 different dealers in 35 years. The last one was 21 years. This is very unusual today as most dealership owners spend most of their time trying to figure out how to rip the employees off.

No big deal, just move on. Excelsior!
This is my sentiment.

In college, I had lots of co-ops, and my college had mandatory co-ops every 3 months. Most students kept there co-ops 5 years, In my 6 years I had 4 co-op employers which totaled 3 years (36 months) of experience.

I can clearly see I was immature at the time and needed some growing up (in hindsight).

At the 4th stop, I learned a software, and was hired by the company which developed that software once I graduated. I have been (here) ever since. That small software company has been bought or sold off 3 times.

merged with competitor in 2000
sold to investment banker in 2001
sold to publicly held company in about 2005 or 2006.

Each merger or buy out made the situation worse... in 1997 and 1998 we had keg parties in the lobby and it was FUN. And I was getting paid. Now I am in middle of a career change myself, as this has clearly run its course, and my manager is an ID Ten T. His boss is also an ID Ten 10 T. His boss is also an ID Ten T. Once I lose respect for someone, it's tough to get it back, so time to go.

I focus on salary more than continuity of employers. If salary keeps going up, then you are doing something right.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #46

One and only job as a lawyer/HR manager in a public megacorp (Navy shipyard). 30 years spent there. Few good memories.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...

• Pumped gas at a Sunoco station
  • Sports reporter for local newspaper
  • Sorted bottles in a soft drink warehouse
  • Machine operator making soft drink and food cans
  • Clerk at a hardware store,
  • Machine operator making/packaging creamed corn and tomato juice
  • Disc jockey
  • Janitor for UPS
  • Grocery bagger
  • Pizza "chef"
  • Machine operator making exotic packaging materials; i.e. cardboard boxes with custom foam inserts
  • Machine operator making various and sundry car parts
  • Machine operator making plastic bottles
  • Machine operator at a sawmill
  • Moved chickens, packed eggs (lasted 3.5 days)
  • Sold Demonstrated vacuum cleaners
  • Printer's apprentice (fired at lunch)
  • Bartender
  • Electrician's helper
  • Wafer bitch Research technician (25 yrs)
  • Research technician, part deux (2.5 yrs and counting)
And probably some I've forgotten...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #48

Okay, here goes:

- stock clerk & janitor for clothing store
- stock clerk for retail department store
- convenience store clerk, part time
- gas jockey plus minor mechanic at Exxon station
- stock clerk for wholesale auto parts distributor
- auto parts clerk for Buick dealership
- route body parts sales for GM
- liquor store clerk, part time
- copier & fax sales
- grader for veneer manufacturer
- imported plywood sales

11 jobs total

Age 13 to 31: 10 jobs
Age 31 to present: 1 job
Old 12-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am curious, though: am I extremely atypical in the number of my employers, or are others moving frequently as well?
We're about the same age. I'm at gig #5 now, although I made a career change for this one. Wouldn't be surprised if I end up at gig #6 before long.

So, no -- for our generation, I don't think you're atypical.

Sorry to hear things are getting ugly at w*rk; hope you find something better soon.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

We will see what is out there. Worst case scenario is that I hunker down and suck it up for the next 3 years until ESR.
I did some job hopping early in my career, mainly for more money... a few times because I was looking for a better gig.

I decided a long time ago that w*rk sucks. I can feel your pain, I get frustrated at work myself.

My job is not terrible, but I do not look to it for satisfaction. It is a paycheck. Right now I have a job where I am in control of what I do (for the most part), don't work any overtime (maybe an hour here or there) and make a good living. I avoided a promotion opportunity a while back just to keep my life simple as I approach FIRE. I was not going to get into a situation where someone expects a lot of overtime.... I consider myself a short-timer!

It seems to be working out. I will FIRE next summer.

One way to make a decision (assuming you do no absolutely hate your current job)... Only consider taking another job if the new job really improves your situation in a substantial financial way or quality of life..... A lot MORE MONEY or fewer hours and the same money or more money!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been in the construction field since I was 18... twenty years ago. Same company for all that time. I need a change badly. But its pretty much all I know how to do. Quite depressing actually....

FIRE is my only way out it would seem.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #52
Confused about dryer sheets

I have been working for many companies over the last two years. But I have and continue to do that for a reason.

When I first graduated from college I worked in the medical field, started my own businesses (four to be exact) and did some freelance work in medical writing and Web development. In total, I worked have worked for 8 companies in the last three years. What is the end result? A chance in 2011 to earn over $250k because I have full-time employment with three companies (two I work on my own time) and I still have my businesses.
medinvest56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #53

1) 4 years programmer at Hughes Aircraft, next project was in Cobol, so went to . . .
2) 14 years programmer at small aerospace firm, company was dissolving around me, so went to . . .
3) 1 year programmer at TRW, bad fit so leave aerospace for . . .
4) 8 years programmer at small stock trading firm, they switch to Xtreme Programming, so . . .
Retired
Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
they switch to Xtreme Programming, so . . .Retired
The unquestioning embrace of Xtreme/Agile is one of the reasons I retired also. But that's a subject for another thread/forum.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And probably some I've forgotten...

Didn't you claim to be an ass model in a previous thread about j*bs?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Didn't you claim to be an ass model in a previous thread about j*bs?
No, that was "model ass"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #57

Dang, I am going against the grain here again. I'd serve your 3 year sentence and be paroled into FIRE. But, I am super goal oriented. And, my military service taught me how to live thru some pretty crappy gigs.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Let's see...

• Disc jockey
Play Misty for me
Old 12-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Okay, here goes:
11 jobs total

Age 13 to 31: 10 jobs
Age 31 to present: 1 job
For me and most of my peers of similar age this has been more or less the trend. Get out of school and try out a few jobs, get as much experience as possible, and then start to settle down the job hopping while family life picks up.

I worked for 4 companies from 18-25 and have had 4-5 very different Marketing roles within the same Megacorp in the past 8.5 years. The latter is a very nice attribute to the workplace as they encourage people do move around every 24 months....or we go thru a reorg and you end up in a new role by default.
jblack is offline   Reply With Quote