Join Early Retirement Today

Careers for the future
Old 11-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Careers for the future

My daughter is in 11the grade. She needs to determine what to major in college soon. With so much talks about outsourcing most high-tech jobs (i.e., hardware engineers, software developers, network enginners, data base administrators, etc.) and other jobs (i.e., accoutants, production workers, industrial engineers, reliability engineers, quality assurance workers, etc), what is the best major to choose now? Surely, she needs to identify the type of work that she might enjoy, interests, and talents. Based on tests on interests, she's most suited for a career in technolgy. In addition, she excels in math and science subjects at school. My thinking is that a career in health care is pretty safe from outsourcing. Jobs such as doctor, nurse, dentist, chriopractor, phamacist, and so on will remain in the U.S. Obviously, jobs that require direct customer contact will also stay: lawyers, carpentors, civil engineers, actors, and so on.

Any thoughts on this depressing issue?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Careers for the future
Old 11-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My spouse changed majors numerous times in college. From music scholarship to accounting to engineering to education, then back to engineering. I expect my kids will probably be just as wishy-washy.

So whatever your daughter (or my daughter) chooses, I suspect she will end up doing something else anyways. The trick is to keep all options open and not to specialize so soon. Another trick is to take time to work a little bit and travel a little bit before doing the college thing.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think health care is a good suggestion, but I would also seriously consider looking at finance and accounting. My perception is that there is less of a glass ceiling issue in this area than some career fields. Every business needs 'bean counters' and increasing govt. regulations (such as Sarbanes-Oxley) is creating more demand.

I've seen no major trend toward outsourcing as of yet, but that doesn't mean finance careers won't move offshore, nor medical, as noted in this thread:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...84680#msg84680

Old 11-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
My daughter is in 11the grade. She needs to determine what to major in college soon. With so much talks about outsourcing most high-tech jobs (i.e., hardware engineers, software developers, network enginners, data base administrators, etc.) and other jobs (i.e., accoutants, production workers, industrial engineers, reliability engineers, quality assurance workers, etc), what is the best major to choose now? Surely, she needs to identify the type of work that she might enjoy, interests, and talents. Based on tests on interests, she's most suited for a career in technolgy. In addition, she excels in math and science subjects at school. My thinking is that a career in health care is pretty safe from outsourcing. Jobs such as doctor, nurse, dentist, chriopractor, phamacist, and so on will remain in the U.S. Obviously, jobs that require direct customer contact will also stay: lawyers, carpentors, civil engineers, actors, and so on.

Any thoughts on this depressing issue?
As someone who has recently finished school, my advice for her is to pick an area that she is genuinely interest in and major in that area. Don't try and pick a career at this point. Most people switch career tracks during college -- several switch plan many times. As long as she studies something that makes her happy -- and works hard with whatever she does -- she will be able to find a good and secure job.

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #5

Hmm, if I were to go to school again, I would do a double major in science and econ/business. Everybody needs a solid background in science and math, and you can't outsource entrepreneurship. Biochemistry would be my pick for the science, but make sure she takes statistics as well (usefull in many areas). By the time she's ready to graduate, she'll have the option of going to med school, starting a business, or getting a job as a government research wonk.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

If I could do it over again, I'd do whatever it takes to get a government job!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If she is interested in math and science and has an innovative/curious personality, consider Mechanical or Chemical Engineering. Thousands of opportunities for women in the oil and gas industry for example.

Consolidation of the oil and gas industry in the 80's and 90's scared most college grads away and thus average age in the industry is now late 40's. I am about to retire from the industry and our company is working hard to bring in new young talent. The industry employs a wide range of engineering talent, from subsurface to facilities to projects to economics and planning. Algo great opportunities for foreign assignments (with the multi-nationals).

But I agree with other posters. She needs to go into something she loves and makes her excited. That is the only way to excel in a career.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
....My thinking is that a career in health care is pretty safe from outsourcing....
I have a couple of words for you and they are, "H1B Visa".
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

If I were just starting out, I would get into Senior housing. There are many options available in this field and it will be growing for at least 30 years.
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
If I could do it over again, I'd do whatever it takes to get a government job!
I think a lobotomy would be more useful than a degree.

For the OP:

It is a waste of time to try to pick a career at this point. She should study whatever interests her and double major in economics or business. I found that an economics major did a very good job of teaching me to think clearly; a skill useful in most careers. I have also reinvented myself career wise about a half-dozen times in 11 years of post college work. No doubt she will be doing the same.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #11

Two stipulations IMHO

1) Encourage her to do something she is relatively interested in. If not she will start with one major, change it, change it again and be in school 5-6 years.

2) Encourage her to major in an area she can get a job in after school unless she it is needed to enter grad school. Too many people drop a lot money on useless degrees, can't find a job that pays well and then have a figure out what they want to do in life.

Lastly, good candidates usually find work regardless of some outsourcing. Even if that were the case, sharp people can and will adjust.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #12

Thanks for all the advices. The bottom line is that she will choose something that she will enjoy doing. I only point out the pros and cons. She thinks that biomedical engineering would be a good choice. We will see.

Spanky
Old 11-19-2005, 10:45 PM   #13

In choosing a major, interest and satisfaction are most important. Deciding on a major based on future job security and compensation is not likely to result in long term satisfaction. It may even result in burn-out or under-performance. Instead, students are best advised to look at major choices that excite them. If you choose what you enjoy, you are more likely to excel and succeed. Don’t let your major choices be determined by someone else’s advice. Don’t select majors based on expectations of making lots of money rather than what you enjoy. It will be difficult to complete a degree in a field that you eventually recognize as being a bad decision. In the long run, you will be good at what you do if you enjoy it, and that will lead to your greatest success.

Choosing a job is different -- but not much. At least that's what I think.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
Don’t let your major choices be determined by someone else’s advice. Don’t select majors based on expectations of making lots of money rather than what you enjoy.
That's a great advice. Very often many people choose a career or an occupation based solely on money and status. When asked, many people would say that they want to become a lawyer, money manager, doctor or any other high paying positions.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
She thinks that biomedical engineering would be a good choice. We will see.
Has she already picked a school? I can personally vouch for a good program at UCSD (and excellent beaches):

http://www-bioeng.ucsd.edu/
Old 11-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Can't disagree with that.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...0&ft=1&f=1007y

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I listened to that show the other day. Amazing story.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Has she already picked a school? I can personally vouch for a good program at UCSD (and excellent beaches):

http://www-bioeng.ucsd.edu/
She is considering University of Wisconsin (at Madison) and Cal Tech. UCSB or UCSD is nice. One of my nephew went to UCSB. He said that people brought their surf boards to class. It is definitely a fun place. I also have another nephew who is attending UCSD, and he seems to enjoy the academic challenge and the ocean view.

U of W (at Madison) is most affordable.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:

U of W (at Madison) is most affordable.
True, but they should have the hammer and sickle as the school
insignia.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote