Join Early Retirement Today

Case of the Mondays
Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Case of the Mondays

I'm sure this is said a lot but Monday's definetly help me remember why I have my early retirement goals. Just thought I'd throw out a sympathy post to all of us suffering from a case of the monday's but also let's make it a reminder of our goals of FIRE.

For those who are already FIRE'd congrats and I am truly jealous!

Check out, Zac Brown Band, Knee Deep
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thanks for reminding me it is Monday - I had no idea what day it was...
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it Monday again Well back to work, just 1 year, 11 months, 4 days, 9 hours, 49 mins, and some odd seconds that keep changing
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm really having trouble finding the motivation to work and be productive today. With all the talk of the government shut-down, I was mentally gearing up for a day(s) off, and on Friday I was as excited as a school kid on the last day before summer vacation. Even though the announcement was made late Friday night that the gov't wasn't shutting down, I just haven't been able to get back into work mode.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We endured a pay freeze and are now going through a badly bungled reorg here. It is a wonder I show up every day...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are 2 days in my week. 6 Saturdays when I take it easy and Sunday when I take a rest.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
TGIM! I need to buy something at the mall, and it's always too crowded with the working class on the weekend days.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

What a pleasant Monday it is, in retirement! You who are still working have a lot of retirement fun to anticipate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
TGIM! I need to buy something at the mall, and it's always too crowded with the working class on the weekend days.
Yes, we have some shopping to do today, as well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Monday sux..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We endured a pay freeze and are now going through a badly bungled reorg here. It is a wonder I show up every day...
A Fed reorg is interesting to watch. Difficult employees are hot potatoes, managers will try to ditch them. It is amazing to watch their efforts to sell the guy/gal who they want to fire to another manager.

Now is the time to consider building your own firm (or joining someone else's), develop a business plan, start a contact list of the folks who you would want to join you. Federal employees are no longer handcuffed by the pension plan.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
It's Monday I just checked my calendar . . . nothing on it.

I love being retired!

martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
If it wasn't for "trash day" and "shaving day" then I'd never be able to remember when to check the mailbox.

TGIM so that I can stop hunkering down in the house to avoid the crowds and go back to enjoying the quiet neighborhood...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Monday was my favorite day of the week for the last five working years. Of course I worked Tues-Fri so that may have made a difference.
JmfromTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Monday is my favorite day because it reminds me that I have off the next 5 days.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've made an important discovery. This isn't for everyone, but a 4-day work week is the answer. I don't mind Monday, as I have forgotten most of the job over the previous three days off (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Another fact of this approach is that there is no "hump day." I can not explain sufficiently how well this works for me. If you can not be retired at this moment, the 4-day work week is tremendous. Second place probably goes to the 5-day week, with one or two days working remote, from home.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I've made an important discovery. This isn't for everyone, but a 4-day work week is the answer. I don't mind Monday, as I have forgotten most of the job over the previous three days off (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Another fact of this approach is that there is no "hump day." I can not explain sufficiently how well this works for me. If you can not be retired at this moment, the 4-day work week is tremendous. Second place probably goes to the 5-day week, with one or two days working remote, from home.
That makes sense to me. It's not a realistic option for me right now (love my job, pays well, etc), but I love 3-day weekends. I feel like on the 3rd day of a 3-day weekend is when I finally get to my "me time" and can really recharge and relax. With the current 5/2 schedule, I always feel like Monday is coming too soon.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When I switched from working full time to part time in 2001, I just about never worked on a Monday. In those 7 years (2001-2008), I mostly worked from home for about 2 years, then went to my office 3 days a week for about 3.5 years, then went to my office 2 days a week for about 1.5 years. I worked maybe 10 Mondays in those 7 years because I hated it so much, and because I became busy on Monday nights and I would get home too late and too work out to do stuff.

Now Monday is not much different from any other day of the week, as I am off every day!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #19

Hmmmm, it's technically Monday in CST. I probably should get some sleep before the w*rk day. LoL... I guess it sucks for me!
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

The only days I know are garbage days (Thursdays) and generator automatic maintenance run (Saturdays). I have to put the garbage days on my Outlook calendar so I get a reminder to pack it up and take it out to the road for pickup. Otherwise, it would never get done.

We have the generator's maintenance cycle on Saturday to remind us we're supposed to go to Mass that evening.... power outages completely mess me up because then I have to actually put forth the effort to check the day of the week.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote