Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Celebrate birthdays at work?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice to see there are a few other FIRE wannabe extroverts out there!

My new boss is a pessimistic introvert...I am finding this experience interesting to say the least. Some of your replies have provided a bit of insight.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

my office posts all birthdays on the front calendar on the intranet. We don't have office-wide celebrations except for bosses - last week we hummed a kazoo rendition of happy birthday to the director. Then had ice cream and cup cakes.

But, my office works in somewhat fluid teams, so small groups go out to lunch and someone picks up the tab for the b-day person. My b-day is on a holiday so everyone is always apologizing for missing it/being late. I don't care if we do or don't celebrate mine or anyone elses. But, since that is the social convention, I go along.

We also celebrate all of made up holidays (adminitrative's day, bosses day as well as life's milestones as an office (wedding/baby showers, retirements, etc), held during lunch hour in the office. I rarely attend those unless it is someone I truly interact with.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We do it once a month, for all the birthdays from that past month. My boss is always nice enough to foot the bill for the cake (and considering how much more she makes than us, AND that it's her idea to do the birthday thing, I think it's entirely apropriate).

The singing is silly, I agree. And the cake is frustrating as I think it's a needless temptation for those of us that are health concious (not to mention that we frequently get ice cream cake - not fun for the lactose intolerant).

All in all, I'm ok with it, because it only takes about 15 minutes & it can be a nice break. But then again, I like all of my coworkers, except for 1, so I dont mind socializing for 15 minutes. If I couldn't stand any of them, that would be a different story.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow reading all these posts has given me much greater appreciation of where I work, since I don't have to put up with participate in such events that would make me feel like I'm 11 years old.

I view work/personal as church/state - should be total separation.

But hey whatever works. We quiet introverts will put up with what we must, as always, until FIRE.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Where I worked prior to retirement the long standing tradition was that the person celebrating their birthday brought cake for the their co-workers. This was a way to announce that it was your birthday. Then everyone would either take the person to lunch or happy hour.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

At my firm you get your birthday off if it falls during the workweek. Seems to me they dont like celebrating much of anything around here. Besides when the people pay their bills.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
"That'll be 8 dollars".
I know this is a birthday thread, but this line reminded me so much of a promotion party hosted by a very cheap frugal guy at his own house. As the night was winding down, he pipes and says "That'll be 5 bucks a head for the pizza!"
Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Andre1969,

That kinda drama is one of the reasons I loathe these things. Although I will say my last job at megacorp was smarter about it. If it was your birthday, you got to pick whatever cake YOU wanted. They would buy several cakes to suit the birthday people. If you didn't like the cake, you didn't eat it and could just pick something different when it was your birthday.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #29

We don't celebrate birthdays as a matter of course, here in MegaCorp. However, when our SVP turned 40, they had a small party for him.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I worked in an office they got tired of all the birthday stuff so they started giving everyone the day off for their birthday. But then some people would float that to a Friday or Monday so that they could have an extended weekend. Others carried it to Thanksgiving or Christmas or whatever. It completely lost it's function along the way.

My husband's office is a nice, close bunch of people that all get along well. But they have more parties than I've ever seen. They do the cake and cards in the office and then they also go out to lunch, with my husband (the boss) paying for the birthday person's lunch. He always buys them a gift, too. This can easily add up to $40-$45. I've pointed out that this seems a little out of line. But he likes to show he appreciates them and they do something similar for him on his birthday. He thinks it's worth it in "good will".

They were getting out of control at Christmas, too. But the last few years they cut way back on gifts to others in the office and instead have a "giving tree" where you can buy gifts for needy families or developmentally disabled adults. That seems to be a much better idea.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

A couple years back I was in a small office (~20 people) that did cake & song for each person in the office. Though I agree with the person that said singing shouldn't be done past age 13 or so, I liked my coworkers in the office so taking 15 min out of the day to stand around and socialize was fine.

Moved from there to a Megacorp job, typically no birthdays but about every 2-3 months, there would be a party for something or another (retirement, year end, bigwig's birthday etc.) for the finance group of 60+ people. Beer and wine was provided so they weren't bad. Good turnout, too (Megacorp also supplied taxis home for anyone who needed and usually a few people would take advantage)
Old 05-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Report prints out boss tells managers and if you're working that day they will say Happy Birthday.