Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cheap Fun Stuff
Old 10-07-2004, 12:27 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is a pattern repeated on many, many boards. A pleasant start. Progressive upticking of the "swr" agenda. Some comments about why Intercst is wrong, lies and hides things that turn into full blown hatefests. The paranoia. Alienation and attacking any dissenters. Thread hijacking. Making claims that people support him or follow his "ideas" or use his "methodologies", followed by that person saying they do nothing of the kind. Rising frustration and annoyance in the community. A ban.

Whether he's looney, bipolar, has MPD, a substance abuse problem, or whatever it is, I'm about done trying to fix the situation, or trying to fix him. Following his "ideas" and "tools" will leave you washing out tin foil and eating cheap dog food well before you expire. Responding to him here or anywhere else is simply feeding the beast.

Thats it, I'm done talking to or about the goose that eats the golden eggs and leaves droppings everywhere he goes.

I implore you to do the same. Ignoring it does work. Make sure you ignore its alter ego's too. Look for people who only show up to have a conversation with it, or to start one, then disappear until the next bout. Usually low post counts.

So in response to the above...if you dont ignore, it will disrupt.
He certainly seems to have you under his spell, TH.

When it all gets to be too much, I just hum the "Theme to Star Trek" and everything starts looking better immediately. You should try it too.

,\\//

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am a long standing lurker to this board. I rarely post but enjoy the info on this board every week. I would like to second the call for ***** to be banned. He is definately a troll. And never seems to have anything important to say that isn't self agrandizing. If himself is included in the term "important" then he has lots of important stuff to talk about.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #23

Quote:
This is a post that I first put to the Motley Fool board on November 29, 2000...
He's done this many times before. He's far too busy and important to take the time to compose something current. This is like dropping off a cassette tape of your thoughts and opinions at the coffee-shop because you're SO important that you're above sitting down to have a cup of coffee with the guys - and you know they need to hear what you have to say. If he tried this in my coffee-shop, the guys would call him an a**hole and throw him out on his head.

*****, I hate to say it, but the rejection you receive has nothing to do with defenders of any methodology. It's purely personal - people dislike you intensely. And you just keep feeding the flames with actions like this, so you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:11 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

And he never seems to have anything important to say that isn't self agrandizing.

The reality is that I have made huge contributions to the various board communities, blazerjeremy. Intercst was in a technical sense the founder of the Motley Fool board (he is the one who sent the e-mail that got the board set up), but it was my posts which built that board into one that was often referrred to as the most thought-provoking on the face of the internet. That was a major accomplishment of mine and I am of course proud of it. It is of course embarassing to me to see what the board has become today (last week there was a poll in which 51 percent of the community there voted against on-topic debate).

Dory36 got his start on the Motley Fool board; I think it is fair to call this board a spin-off of it. The NoFeeBoards.com board is also a spin-off of the Motley Fool board. So the Motley Fool board is part of out history, whether we want to acknowledge it or not. By no stretch of the imagination do I say that I was the only poster who did important things to build the Motley Fool board. Intercst did important things. I do not share in the "cult of personality" re intercst that seems to influence a good number, but I certainly acknowledge his importance in shaping the early days of our movement. And there were hundreds of others who helped aspiring early retirees in important ways and that revealed to this community its awesome potential to do good.

I am proud of my Retire Early contributions. I understand that it is not the ordinary procedure for me to be the one to tout them, and I think that the ordinary procedure makes sense in ordinary times. These are not ordinary times. There are posters in our community who have made it their business to disrupt any thread which I put forward, SWR-related or non-SWR-related. They do this because I told the truth about SWRs and because they are loyal to intercst, who for obvious reasons very much does not want the truth re SWRs to be told. These people hurt our community with their actions. SWRs matter. People planning early retirement need to know what the historical data says re SWRs.

They need to know a lot of other things too, of course. It's not all about SWRs. When I put up some old non-SWR posts that received a good reaction the first time around, I help people learn about the subject matter of this board. When the threads are not disrupted, exchanges take place that help me learn. That's what it is all about, learning together.

The DCMs don't like it one bit to see learning take place on threads in which the ***** name is prominent. They think to themselves: "***** has helped a lot of people learn about this stuff in the past, so there's no reason not to believe that he will be able to do it again, and then those people might take a look at the historical data and see that he was right all along in what he was saying re SWRs." DCMs don't like it that that is what is likely to happen. I do. I think that it is important that the many community members who have expressed a desire for reasoned debate on the SWR topic (along with many other topics, of course) see those desires realized. If it appears that putting up some old non-SWR posts can help bring that about (while also generating lots of non-SWR learning experiences) I am happy to give the idea my best shot.

Perhaps it will work. Perhaps not. It can't possibly do any harm. Except to the DCMs. And you know what? In the long run, it doesn't even do any harm to them. In the long run, they came here because they want to learn about the subject matter of the board too. So let's all get about the business of Learning Together!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:50 AM   #25

This is like dropping off a cassette tape of your thoughts and opinions at the coffee-shop.

I am responding to comments made on the threads generated from the re-postings, Lurker2. So I am very much sitting down at the table and drinking down the hot stuff along with all my buds.

Not all posts are worthy of recycling, to be sure. But some are. The posts that I am putting up on Wednesday mornings are posts that generated good reactions the first time around, either in that they received a high number of recommendations or in that they provoked particularly insightful or strongly felt responses. The majority of this board community has never seen these posts, and they would need to pay Motley Fool $30 for the privilege of doing so if they wanted to take a look at them. What possible harm could come from "liberating" them from the money grubbing claws of Motley Fool by posting them here? (That's a joke, I have no problem with the idea of Motley Fool charging for use of its boards.)

Not every Wednesday post that I put forward is going to change the course of Western civilization. My guess is that it will only be a small percentage of them that will do that (another joke!). But none of the words I will put forward in these posts have the potential to do anyone here any harm. Of that much I am certain. I believe that it is entirely possible that a few of them might do one or two community members a little bit of good.

The rejection you receive has nothing to do with defenders of any methodology. It's purely personal - people dislike you intensely.

There may be a few who have a personal dislike of me because I was the one who brought the SWR issue to the table. Most do not. There are a good number who pretend to dislike me. A poster named 2828 once said that he wanted to feed me through a trash compacter. More recently he said that he wishes me the best and that he is impressed by the extent of my research efforts on the SWR question. 2828 is a more typical community member than you, Lurker2. I've been around since the first days, and I can assure you that there is a good bit of support for that assertion awaiting your review in the Post Archives.

It's not personal, except perhaps in a few cases. It's tactical. I want to see honest and informed debate on SWRs not only beccause the SWR issue is so important; I also want to see it because I find it demeaning to the entire community that we go along with restrictions on our agenda imposed on us by puffed-up ego-case board founders (I obviously am not referring to Dory36 here). The community of aspiring early retirees has a right to talk about what it wants to talk about, the hurt feelings of board founders be damned. That's my take. I believe that it is very important that this point be established if our movement is to achieve its full potential.

We are a community. Communities go through ups and downs. We ran into some trouble re the SWR matter because of some unusual and difficult factual realities that pertain to it. We will find a way to work through it. We will move on to other things, and we will one day look back on all the silliness that was engaged in to block our forward progress and express astonishment at the craziness of the road we traveled.

This is how human beings cope with change. It always has been and it always will be. It feels intense to us because this is not history we are reading about in a book, it is history that we are creating through our own efforts. But what has happened here is much in line with what has happened to other communities at other times in history who were faced with other forks in the road and had to take some time to digest the implications of the choices before them.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:53 AM   #26

Hey folks, can't we just get along?

As a long-time reader from the Motley Fool days, I like *****' posts and find the hostility to him annoying. As ERs (or ER hopefuls) we are already on non-traditional paths. We shouldn't feel threatened by anyone, particularly someone who can represent his/her point of view so well.

I, for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new. Please let me!

Old 10-08-2004, 06:31 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The reality is that I have made huge contributions to the various board communities, blazerjeremy...

I am proud of my Retire Early contributions.
Hey asshole, we are laughing at you, not with you.

Go away. You are not liked or wanted here.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

kayaking - grey overcast day, light rain, chop on :ake Ponchartrain - stirs the the old Washington State blood. 1/4 mile out the kitchen window and 5 miles across open water off the back porch are entrances to the bayou's of the Wildlife Refuge.

Nobody but nobody has a kayak around here - flatboats, fishing boats, sailboats, powerboats, and pirogue's for duck hunters.

Does anybody out there kayak? How would one get started. Thinking room for a man and his golden retriever - and perhaps a way to fish a little. The lake is subject to sudden storms so 2-4 rollers might catch you on open water periodically.

Could use the phys. ed. - gyms and jogging are a turn off.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:43 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I had one and would kayak with my lab. It was a lot of fun, and a lot of work. I don't have it anymore because after I broke up with the kayaking boyfriend, I didn't have anyone to lift it on top of my car for me. Hah. (I'm 5'3" and less than 100 lbs).
Old 10-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
kayaking - grey overcast day, light rain, chop on :ake Ponchartrain - stirs the the old Washington State blood. 1/4 mile out the kitchen window and 5 miles across open water off the back porch are entrances to the bayou's of the Wildlife Refuge.

Nobody but nobody has a kayak around here - flatboats, fishing boats, sailboats, powerboats, and pirogue's for duck hunters.

Does anybody out there kayak? How would one get started. Thinking room for a man and his golden retriever - and perhaps a way to fish a little. The lake is subject to sudden storms so 2-4 rollers might catch you on open water periodically.

Could use the phys. ed. - gyms and jogging are a turn off.
I know kayaking has really taken off in popularity, but I really prefer my canoe. You end up with more capacity (no problem to have two people and gear for a day trip or overnight), fishing is much easier owing to the open top, it is a LOT easier to cover distance since canoes are usually inherently more efficient than kayaks at going in straight lines, and they are usually about the same weight as a kayak. Not as good a choice in rough water, though.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-08-2004, 08:48 AM   #31

I, for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new.

Thanks for coming forward with those kind words, Guest.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:26 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know kayaking has really taken off in popularity, but I really prefer my canoe.
Yeah, but it's hard to stand up in a canoe when you surf off those eight-footers... I see a couple kayakers at Barbers Point every time a big swell passes through. They're wearing helmets, too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah, but it's hard to stand up in a canoe when you surf off those eight-footers... I see a couple kayakers at Barbers Point every time a big swell passes through. *They're wearing helmets, too.
Uh-huh, but you see, I get seasick if it isn't pretty flat anyway, so I'm not ever out in the rough stuff. My idea of fun is a large, calm lake with lots of interesting nooks and crannies.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I love kayaking. A big plus over a canoe is you can manage it on your own, and more than one of you get your own boat and can poke about as you see fit. Havent put mine in the many waters here in my new area since I moved, but its about that time of year to go try out the currents in the river up the road...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:07 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I might be getting off-topic here, but as a lifelong whitewater kayaker I think I get the best of both worlds. It's hard to board-surf a whitewater river and canoes are no good in ocean swells, but I've surfed a six-foot standing wave on Class III whitewater in my kayak for ten straight minutes. That was the same boat I took to Cape Hatteras for two weeks one summer.

Big fun, soon come. This time next year I hope to be doing it full-time.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

New or used? - where's the best place to look - what brands/models - am I looking for.

Nord's - the windsurfers on our end of the lake have died off over the years - even old fashioned water skiers are rare. Waveriders dot the lake in summer. Back in our RV days - watching windsurfers spill and trying to get the sail back up - discouraged me from renting one and trying my hand at learning. More of a summer thing.

I'm thinking kayaking might be more year round.

Being in a fish camp - launching under the house is a given - has to be taken out off the water when done though - our side of the lake takes a pounding. Regular boats either have belly slings or are taken out and trailered between use.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I dont think brands and models have a lot to do with it unless you're pretty serious.

Basics: shorter=more maneuverable, longer=more stable ride in big water and lighter models are easier to load and unload.

Beyond that you can pay extra for foot pedals (I've never really found them to be very useful or more comfy unless you're white watering), better seats (although after buying a $500 one with an adjustable padded seat that looked great, I found the fixed plastic seat in the first $180 one I bought to be more comfortable), exotic materials, and big names.

Sit on tops are pretty easy for someone new to the sport to deal with, sit insides give you a lower center of gravity but can be more challenging.

Kayaking with a dog can be challenging, especially if the dog wants to run around. Expect to spend some time in the water rather than on it. A two person, wide, sit on top from someplace like Costco or Sams Club will do you, or visit a place where they rent them...rent several models and then at the end of the year when they're selling the old rentals, buy the one you like.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:26 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
New or used? - where's the best place to look - what brands/models - am I looking for.
Here in the Great Northwest, everybody wants a kayak, so used tends to be expensive. In your neck of the woods, I suspect just finding a used one would be a problem.

If you're just starting out, you want something wide and plastic. Later, if you want to go faster, something narrow and fiberglass may appeal to you. If you've got an REI near you, they'll have a good selection. I like Perception (a brand they carry).

Make sure you can swim pretty well. Kayaks tip over easily, and they're fairly hard to get back into after a capsize. Most kayaking deaths are from hypothermia after a capsize.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #39

There's a poster in this community who said: "I for one, want to keep reading what ***** puts out, old or new. Please let me!"

I am going to do what I can to be responsive to that poster's wishes. I will be putting up a non-SWR on-topic post at the "Young Dreamers" section of this board next Wednesday.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Beyond that you can pay extra for foot pedals (I've never really found them to be very useful or more comfy unless you're white watering)
If by pedals, you mean rudder control, then you definately want a rudder if you're in a windy area. Kayaks have no keel or anything to keep them from getting blown around, so a rudder is your best chance for stability and manuervability in wind.