Cheap Fun Stuff

My neighbor's 2 man kayak is about the same length and weighs over 100 pounds. That's a big defference when you've got to lug it around.

He got some rolly thing to help with that, and since he lives right on the shore, he only has to get it above high tide.

arrete

For DIY'ers there are some awesome kits out there. My friend built a gorgeous 15' wood touring kayak for about half the price of a new plastic one, and I think he enjoyed building it as much as he enjoys paddling it.

Wow. I don't know why - but I would have guessed at equal lengths - the kayak would always be the ligher of the two and easier to manhandle.

This weekend - may try to find some of both to look at - up close and personal.

BTY - in summer, canoe rentals are availible at the other end of the refuge. But only in summer. Still thinking kayak as a year rounder, and more flexible as to water conditions.

Wow. I don't know why - but I would have guessed at equal lengths - the kayak would always be the ligher of the two and easier to manhandle.

This weekend - may try to find some of both to look at - up close and personal.

BTY - in summer, canoe rentals are availible at the other end of the refuge. But only in summer. Still thinking kayak as a year rounder, and more flexible as to water conditions.

Kayaks are closed on top so there is more material and more weight. They typically have flotation chambers to help them stay buoyant, since they are so heavy for their volume.

Still thinking kayak as a year rounder, and more flexible as to water conditions.

I don't have a kayak, but I can definitely second you as to staying off big water in a canoe whenever there are storm possibilities. About 20 years ago I was crossing Lake Ozette on the peninsula when a squall blew up, and even though I was kneeling low and pretty experienced, I thought I was going to be swamped. It was a 15' Grumman, a really handy knockabout for small lakes, but no match for Ozette.

Mikey

I'm a fan of on-topic discussion. That's my thing. So I'm not jumping up and down and about this.

But I've seen worse.

Kayaks can get really warm in the sun. At least canoes give you some fresh air. Although then you have no sun protection.

Make sure you can swim pretty well.   Kayaks tip over easily, and they're fairly hard to get back into after a capsize.    Most kayaking deaths are from hypothermia after a capsize.

Which is why eskimo rolling is prolly a good skill to have if you kayak in white water?

I have only kayaked twice in my life and only in calm water. I watched people did white water kayaks though and I found it fascinating. I don't think I would try white water kayaks until I am super good with kayak.

Nevertheless, I have tried white water rafting (twice) which is less dangerous than white water kayak. It was quite a thrill actually, although I have to admit that I was scared shitless both times :D (Because although I can swim I don't consider myself a really good swimmer)

My first white water raft trip, we were in 6-people raft and there was one point where everyone (inlcuding the guide) got thrown out of the raft. Then we all swam like crazy to get back to the raft (I was the last one out of water). One of the biggest guys on the raft was so scared that he kept tellling us how he thought he was going to die. :eek:

Of course, the next year someone said, hey why don't we go white-water rafting? I said, yeah why not, it should be fun.

It's like childbirth, after it was over, you swore you would never do it again, only to find yourself wanting another baby a year after that (well, that's what my mother said anyway).

Jane

Back
Top Bottom