Join Early Retirement Today

Checking in
Old 12-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Checking in

It's been almost 5 years since my introduction, so I wanted to give you all an update on my progress. If I can't brag anywhere else, at least I can brag here.

I paid off my student loans in about 5 years ago in January 2011. I'm still debt free and focused on FIRE. I've doubled my income, more than quadrupled my net worth, and I managed to save 60% of my income this year. I'm roughly 20% of the way to "my number" and making progress faster every year!

It finally feels like early retirement is really possible for me, and I'm hoping to retire when I'm 45 (10 years from now). I think that having a long-term goal contributes to my happiness a great deal and prevents me from aimlessly wandering around my life, wondering what I'm doing with it.

Thank you all for making your experience and perspectives available to us here!
fireandearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandearth View Post
It finally feels like early retirement is really possible for me, and I'm hoping to retire when I'm 45 (10 years from now). I think that having a long-term goal contributes to my happiness a great deal and prevents me from aimlessly wandering around my life, wondering what I'm doing with it.
Save that for retirement!
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It sounds like you are making great progress. Just remember to have fun along the way!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the good news update, nice to hear you are on the path for success.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
It sounds like you are making great progress. Just remember to have fun along the way!
I'm doing great at that. I visited the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands this year, and I've been knitting up a storm. Good friends, healthy food, great job, and now the carefree single life! Doubling my income has come with significantly increased stress levels, but also a great deal of job satisfaction. They seem to mostly balance out.
fireandearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
Administrator

That is good news! Well done.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Hopefully we'll be reading about retiring at 45 from you in a decade.
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandearth View Post
I think that having a long-term goal contributes to my happiness a great deal and prevents me from aimlessly wandering around my life, wondering what I'm doing with it.
!
Brag away! It's not bragging anyway. This is the place that understands and supports the effort toward that shared goal. I agree with what you said about having a goal to keep you on track.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote