Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Honestly, I'd rather be a truck driver.
I thought about that when I first retired at 52. While the thought of being paid to tour the country has appeal, the thought of dealing with big-city traffic in an 18-wheeler where they ultimately make deliveries quickly quashed that idea.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't really count, I guess, but at 42/43 I fully intend to retire from the military and find something else. Not sure what that something else will be yet. Maybe a bike mechanic, triathlete, blogger, maybe a full-time megacorp guy. Who knows? I hope to have enough to call myself FI then so I don't have to worry about what I have to do... I've spent 20 years doing that...

nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I thought about that when I first retired at 52. While the thought of being paid to tour the country has appeal, the thought of dealing with big-city traffic in an 18-wheeler where they ultimately make deliveries quickly quashed that idea.
I likewise thought that would be nice. But then I was coming North on I-5 not far beyond the California line in the Siskiyous and it seemed like most of the trucks that had been on the road were now down in the canyon. Maybe running from Florida to DC would be nice, or the Imperial Valley to San Diego, but those guys dealing with the Siskiyous or Northern Rockies better be on the ball every minute. More concentration than I want to bet my life on. And lying in the slush to chain up or any of a bunch of other cold hard tasks.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Add me to the list.

- Around 40 (38 actually) - check
- NW only around $400k (including house) - check
- Went from being an [great] individual contributer to an IT manager 7 years ago - check
- Making good money - check
- Feeling dissatisfied and like my career is headed for a cliff - check
- Stuck in middle-management and no chance of getting promoted anytime soon since the position above are all taken and fewer senior management jobs - check

Then I think of the few positives:
- No more 24x7 pager duty, I have guys that do that for me
- Allows me more time on the holidays and weekends to spend with the family
- Money is decent so I can afford to have hobbies and usually spend every weekend out and about doing something which helps me keep sane

If I do end up without this job not sure what I'll do.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
Going to try to tough this out for 5 more years and I should have about $800k by then. Not sure if I can make it another year. Thought about quitting and finding part time work, then I added up the # and it didn't make sense to work for the next 50 years part time when I can make the same amount in the next 5 years full time
I started reading from the OP and was thinking that maybe you should just stick it out for 5 years to save some money that way you'll have more choices when and if you decide to switch careers.

My advice would be to start looking at other oppurtunities while you're still employeed. Start consulting, a side business or go back to school. Might even turn a hobby into a career, start an online comic book store or something .

Let your current employer "finance" you while you explore these other options.
Bored Beyond Belief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Bored Beyond Belief View Post
Let your current employer "finance" you while you explore these other options.
This is absolutely wonderful advice. This is what I'm doing currently.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado
It sounds like you (and a couple others) just don't enjoy managing people. If you are getting good reviews and are generally valued at your current employer, why not pursue getting moved into an Individual Contributor, high level role? I bounce back and forth between Management and IC roles and the pay is in a similar range, but IC typically pay a little better and are a lot less stressful.

Coffee Mavin is offline   Reply With Quote