Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Some of us have elected not to take that particular journey. There is no "must take".

As a pediatrician I saw many parenting disasters. People who obviously have difficulty managing their own lives bring children into their chaotic world and give them a disastrous start, setting up a cycle of dysfunction that will last for generations. But even parents who seemingly do everything right can be faced with disasters not of their own making. They are just better able to cope.
So no one should have children? Too much can go wrong! All human reproduction must stop immediately and permanently. Earth will be a better place in a few decades!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Its hard to determine the actual impact of having children on your life, good or bad, until you have them, and then its a little too late to make this decision.
You hit the nail on the head. This was the main reason we never had kids. We just kept thinking it was such a big decision. To this day I don't regret our (non) decision, but still do not know if that will ever change.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just curious. Those of you that decided not to have children did you come from a large/small family, close/not so close family?

I never even thought about having children, I just knew I would one day! I have 3 siblings and came from a rather large (aunts, uncles, cousins, neices, nephews) and close family. As a family we spent alot of time together on vacations, holidays, b-days, etc.

My mother was an only child and she had 4 kids and now has 11 grand children and 2 great grand children.

Things that make you go.....hmmmmmmmm

Mike
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

So no one should have children? Too much can go wrong! All human reproduction must stop immediately and permanently. Earth will be a better place in a few decades!
In what language does "some of us" translate to "no one?"
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Just curious. Those of you that decided not to have children did you come from a large/small family, close/not so close family?

I never even thought about having children, I just knew I would one day! I have 3 siblings and came from a rather large (aunts, uncles, cousins, neices, nephews) and close family. As a family we spent alot of time together on vacations, holidays, b-days, etc.

My mother was an only child and she had 4 kids and now has 11 grand children and 2 great grand children.

Things that make you go.....hmmmmmmmm

Mike
I was one of three, and my husband is one of two. I always disliked being around children, even when I was one. There was never a time in my life where I thought I would have kids. My brother was always playing with our younger cousins and I was always playing with the dogs.

Each of my siblings has 3 kids and seem relatively happy about it. My DH never wanted them either, as far as I know, but I guess if I'd gotten knocked up we would have dealt with it. Thank God, as Feever says, for being born late enough to have the choice.

I'm very very happy with my decision, and grow more so with every passing year. My <snort> "maternal urges" are used up being a caring and decent person to our wide circle of friends. I forget sometimes I'm actually in the minority, not having them, because we mostly have friends nowadays who don't have them.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

To paraphrase the late great Henny Youngman Porky Pig:

Take my children. Please. Thanks for another rousing discussion, and that's all, folks!

Closed Thread

Tags
child-free, children