CLASS OF 2027 to 2037

GatherYeAcorns

Dryer sheet aficionado
40 years old hoping to be semi-retired in 2027 and be in my PJs all day- 7 days a week by 2037. Raise your hands if these are your PR years!

:greetings10:

As my "name" implies, I'm targeting ~2035, but hope to split around 2033 (at 59.5). 2033 is if I keep my current job (with promised pension) for the next 20 yrs.

As my "name" implies, I'm targeting ~2035, but hope to split around 2033 (at 59.5). 2033 is if I keep my current job (with promised pension) for the next 20 yrs.

Word, on the pension part. I hope I still have it by the time I collect mine's either at the age of 55 or 65. I'm also worried about social security not being there fully for our generation when we decide to hand in our badges or be forced to. They say that back in the 1960s, a retiree had 18 workers funding his/her social security. Today or in the future, the ratio is like 3:1 ? :facepalm:

I've been reading this forum for a while but this is the first thread that made me register. I am also planning on retiring in 2035 if things go according to plan. I will be 47 and will draw a pension at 50 if I keep my current job.

If the pension falls through, I'll keep w*rking.

I have a good feeling that we'll all hit our goal of retiring. We got decades to prepare (our best asset). Just gotta keep earning them coins and stay healthy.

That's 14-24 years from now, and seems like quite a long time to me.

As another young person on these forums, I'm curious if you all would be willing to share your saving percentage? Is it a traditional 10-15%?

I'm hoping to be done quite a bit before then (but have a much higher savings rate than is traditional). Then again, I'm also wildly optimistic, so reality may come crashing down on me.

Best of luck to you all in your routes to FIRE. :)

I am 44 and currently save between between 35 to 40% of gross income.

35 currently, and targeting 1/1/2033. Tentatively planning a career change around 2023. The next 9 years are super critical for me. If I can continue on on my current path with out too many disasters for the next nine years I will have a really good outlook from there. $150k set aside so far, and currently saving about 25% of my income, while supporting DW's fledgling (but profitable!) business. Bit of a wildcard there.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm also targeting 2035 for retirement, or at least semi-retirement.

I think to keep each other motivated, we should post milestones at the end of the year...and more often as achieved.

For example, I got a late start, so I reached $100K (401, Roth) last January at 38, now I'm at $145.5K (401 - 120.25K, Roth - 25.25K). In addition to maxing out my 401(k) and Roth, I also buy $50 in I Bonds every two weeks. This represents 32% of my pay (company kicks in an additional 4.5%)...not an easy feat for a single gal in SF, but I have my eyes on the prize!!!!

I think to keep each other motivated, we should post milestones at the end of the year...and more often as achieved.

For example, I got a late start, so I reached $100K (401, Roth) last January at 38, now I'm at $145.5K (401 - 120.25K, Roth - 25.25K). In addition to maxing out my 401(k) and Roth, I also buy $50 in I Bonds every two weeks. This represents 32% of my pay (company kicks in an additional 4.5%)...not an easy feat for a single gal in SF, but I have my eyes on the prize!!!!

Good job...better late than never and you're doing better than many. 32% is terrific, stay consistent and that $145 will double in no time.

Looking back on my 401k balances, I crossed $100K in 2005, than $200K in 2009, than $300K in 2011. Today its very close to cracking $400K. I have a really good company match that helps alot.

40 years old hoping to be semi-retired in 2027 and be in my PJs all day- 7 days a week by 2037. Raise your hands if these are your PR years!

I'm also in this camp -- right now my outside ER date is May 2031. That would give my a pension at about 50K/yr (in today's dollars), healthcare for life, and a sizeable nest egg saved in other accounts. Based on reasonable projections from this point on I am well ahead of schedule. If I can reach FIRE before that date, I might just pull the plug earlier and give up the full pension.

Last edited:
As another young person on these forums, I'm curious if you all would be willing to share your saving percentage? Is it a traditional 10-15%?

Out of curiosity, how do people measure their saving percentage? I've seen very different calculations done. Personally I don't have a target savings %; nor do I even calculate that figure. I just try and keep my spending as low as I can and put everything else towards savings.

Out of curiosity, how do people measure their saving percentage? I've seen very different calculations done. Personally I don't have a target savings %; nor do I even calculate that figure. I just try and keep my spending as low as I can and put everything else towards savings.

I don't really track it, I know its around 30% though. Plus or minus in any given year.

33 years old. Currently, I'm converting my human capital to financial capital only half a year and consider myself as semi-retired but might not fit other's definition of semi-retired. Looking forward to FIRE in 2035 at 55 years old or earlier.

I don't really track it, I know its around 30% though. Plus or minus in any given year.

How do you calculate that 30%? Your annual savings divided by line 7 on the 1040 ("wages, salaries, tips . . .")? Divided by your total wages (without subtracting SS, medicare, taxes, etc)? Divided by your wages minus required witholdings like SS, and medicare?

Good job...better late than never and you're doing better than many. 32% is terrific, stay consistent and that $145 will double in no time.

Looking back on my 401k balances, I crossed $100K in 2005, than $200K in 2009, than $300K in 2011. Today its very close to cracking $400K. I have a really good company match that helps alot.

Awesome job!

I notice the trend for caninelover that it tooks 4 years for the investment accounts to increase from $100k to $200k, then only 2 years later to increase another $100k to $300k. The last $100k increase to $400k is less than 2 years. That's very inspirational to me as a saver.

So I went back to my excel to see my own trend. My retirement funds reached $100k in Jan 2012. It crossed $150k last month, Jan 2013. I look forward to $200k before the end of 2014.

It took me 7 years to get the first $100k. Hopefully, it'll take less than 7 years to get another $100k. And the good trend continues on the road to FIRE.

That's 14-24 years from now, and seems like quite a long time to me.

I'm hoping to be done quite a bit before then (but have a much higher savings rate than is traditional). Then again, I'm also wildly optimistic, so reality may come crashing down on me.

Best of luck to you all in your routes to FIRE. :)

I'm looking at 2015 for Semi-ER or ER, but 2028 will be when both my wife and I hang it up. 2028 is when my youngest will turn 18 and my wife wants to work until then (at least for now). We will be FI well before that time. Our savings rate is almost 50% calculated as: (pre- & post-tax total savings)/(gross income).

I'm also wildly optimistic about ER in 2015. S-ER could happen now, but then it would delay full ER. As a point of reference, I will turn 40 soon.

Good call....love trying to keep each other motivated. Good job last year...and in a high cost area taboot!

BTW, I'm 35 and looking to Semi-retire at age 50 (2028) and fully retire once the little ladies are finished educating themselves (ages 2 and 3 now). Let's go work on it, youngsters!!

I'm 27 and in my "worst case", I'm retired by age 45 (2031).

We're refinancing now, which took away one of my investment cycles, as I used the money for the new loan, but doing my calculations, it will save us $180,000 over the next 18 years (until we sell the house and retire), even with this large up-front cost, so it's totally worth it.

Right now I'm about 2 months ahead of my projected curve to retirement, but about 2 months behind where I actually want to be.

Hey everyone!

I'm 33 and plan to retire with DH by 50. That puts us at about.... 2030. We have a shot at making it sooner than that, but with so many variables we just take the "let's keep doing the best we can and when we get there, we get there" mindset.

We're currently investing about 1/3 of our gross income, living on 1/3, and taxes take another 1/3. Our FI target is roughly 2.5 Million, plus a paid off home. We live in a relatively high cost area, and plan to stay here if we can.

It's nice to meet you all.

SIS

I’m hoping I can retire in 2027. This would be the earliest after 25 years of service with my current company.

Back
Top Bottom