CLASS OF 2027 to 2037

I'll soon turn 31, and I'm sincerely hoping that I will at least be FI by 2037. Once that is achieved, I'll reevaluate whether I want to ER, ESR (working part time), or continue to work FT. It's all about having options.

There's yet another re-org currently going on at my megacorp, and I really wouldn't want to be in the shoes of some of my older colleagues who are far from being FI and would have a hard time finding work again... If something like that happens again when I'm in my fifties, I plan to be sitting on a significant pile of savings and praying that they axe me. The compensation packages are really generous if you've been with megacorp for some years.

Currently 33, hoping to be FI or RE at 48, so that would be aiming for the class of 2028!

Out of curiosity, how do people measure their saving percentage? I've seen very different calculations done. Personally I don't have a target savings %; nor do I even calculate that figure. I just try and keep my spending as low as I can and put everything else towards savings.

This discussion, for example, has some thoughts on the topic:
MMM Discussion Thread on Savings Rate

[mod edit]
I personally do this:
I personally do Savings Rate = (Net Income + Gross Tax Deferred Contributions - Expenses) / (Net Income + Gross Tax Deferred Contributions)

I don't count debt principal repayment. Though I AM saving that money, so I do count those other times (for example, when calculating expenses, especially when trying to calculate/estimate post-FIRE expenses).

Similarly, I don't take off a portion of my tax deferred amount saved to account for future taxes. (So even though 1k in a Roth is worth more than 1k in a 401k, for saving purposes for simplicity's sake I treat them the same). But I do take out the taxes on that for other calculations.

I only asked in this thread because I've hung out a lot on the ERE forums and MMM forums, and the population tends to be quite a bit younger (20s and 30s) and I'm more familiar with their savings rates (often quite extreme, up to 80 or 90%). The people here on these forums tend not to be as "extreme," so I was curious if you all were targeting an early retirement via high savings rate or were doing a more traditional 10-20% but just starting to plan/dream very early.

Relevant to the above, someone else started a poll over there on savings rates a few days after I asked the question here, and as of right now it looks like about half the respondents save 51% or more of their income.

For like-minded individuals those other forums are pretty good, but these forums (e-r.org) tend to have a lot more wisdom. I'm glad to see some more young [-]people[/-] dreamers on this one! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

We're just a group of younger folks looking to inspire each other and celebrate our successes. Also, from what I've read, most of us are seriously saving and planning.

True we could comb through old threads and find relevant topics here and there, but this is a targeted discussion for people a little dither behind the finish line.

Almost 47 yrs old. Didn't get serious about savings until a few years ago. Hope to be FI by 55, however if I'm enjoying the job I'll keep working for a few more years. Our current savings rate is 45% of gross. We use automatic payments for all our investments on a monthly basis. Best way for us to force-save. Plus I have a non-cola'd DB with 22 years of contributions to date.

I'm always impressed with 30-somethings being able to save at high rates. Well done people!

How do you calculate that 30%? Your annual savings divided by line 7 on the 1040 ("wages, salaries, tips . . .")? Divided by your total wages (without subtracting SS, medicare, taxes, etc)? Divided by your wages minus required witholdings like SS, and medicare?

I keep it simple, annual savings (incl. match) / salary + bonus (that would be the bulk of my line 7). My salary is fixed, my bonus is not, hence the plus or minus in any given year.

Awesome job!

I notice the trend for caninelover that it tooks 4 years for the investment accounts to increase from $100k to $200k, then only 2 years later to increase another $100k to $300k. The last $100k increase to $400k is less than 2 years. That's very inspirational to me as a saver.

So I went back to my excel to see my own trend. My retirement funds reached $100k in Jan 2012. It crossed $150k last month, Jan 2013. I look forward to $200k before the end of 2014.

It took me 7 years to get the first $100k. Hopefully, it'll take less than 7 years to get another $100k. And the good trend continues on the road to FIRE.

Thanks. That first $100K I think its the hardest though. I keep an excel file with my annual start/end balances - its motivating to see an uptrend. I tried not to look at it in '08 though :nonono:

I'm 27 and shooting for 2037 or 38(51 or 52). Working on paying off loans and mortgage first, then aggressive saving.

New Milestone:

$150,000!!!

401(k): $123,190
Roth: $26,739
I Bonds: $200

And Friday, I'll be doing my usual bi-weekly 401(k) contribution (1/26 of $17,500 + emp match), plus $458 for Roth, plus $300 I Bonds (catch up for missing two), plus adding $1,000 to my anemic savings account.. from bonus.

Not bragging, but posting here to you guys keeps me accountable...thanks!

Funny story, I went to a Schwab retirement seminar on Friday. Of course I was the youngest person by far..and the only person who answered all the quiz questions right. By the end, the others on the cusp of retirement were asking me for advice. I can't believe people can be in their 50s and 60s and still not know basics like what a Roth is or asset allocation. I sometimes forget, we're anomalies here.

WAIT!! You guys can't retire....who will fund my Social Security? :D

In all seriousness, keep up the good work. DH and I started seriously saving when we were in our early 30s and did a lot of the kinds of things I read here.

He retired on 12/31 and as of Friday - I am done. When you hit your number - it will feel really good!

I'm 27 and shooting for 2037 or 38(51 or 52). Working on paying off loans and mortgage first, then aggressive saving.
The first 100k was slow. Then we paid off all debt, including mortgage.

Savings took off like a rocket after that. I think it was part math, and part psychology.

I'm a mortgage pay off advocate. However, in today's environment, it may be a bit different, so there is room for different methods. It just turned out that OUR way was to start with all debt.

Good luck kids. We're depending on you paying our SS. :)

New Milestone:

$150,000!!!

401(k): $123,190
Roth: $26,739
I Bonds: $200

And Friday, I'll be doing my usual bi-weekly 401(k) contribution (1/26 of $17,500 + emp match), plus $458 for Roth, plus $300 I Bonds (catch up for missing two), plus adding $1,000 to my anemic savings account.. from bonus.

Not bragging, but posting here to you guys keeps me accountable...thanks!

Funny story, I went to a Schwab retirement seminar on Friday. Of course I was the youngest person by far..and the only person who answered all the quiz questions right. By the end, the others on the cusp of retirement were asking me for advice. I can't believe people can be in their 50s and 60s and still not know basics like what a Roth is or asset allocation. I sometimes forget, we're anomalies here.
Congrats! I actually hit 150k in retirement funds for the first time on Friday as well. Putting more in this week too. Love to see the numbers go up!

Congrats! I actually hit 150k in retirement funds for the first time on Friday as well. Putting more in this week too. Love to see the numbers go up!

Congrats to you too!!! I'm still flirting with the idea of buying a condo since prices are really good...for the Bay Area.

What's your RE date?

Congrats to you too!!! I'm still flirting with the idea of buying a condo since prices are really good...for the Bay Area.

What's your RE date?

January 2033. Finished 2012 taxes tonight, and dw contributed $5000 to her traditional IRA to save a thousand from the check we'll be sending to the IRS. I was not planning on that contribution. Woot!

He retired on 12/31 and as of Friday - I am done. When you hit your number - it will feel really good!

May you have a long and prosperous retirement!

I am nearly 41, and 2027 is pretty close to my target (age 55). I'd love to do age 50, but I don't think I'll make it. I have two kids and my wife stays home. My job is demanding and erratic in its stresses, so its unlikely my wife will re-enter the workforce in a high dollar fashion when both kids are in school full time in a couple years.

Having read in this thread a few folks commenting on how hard it is to accumulate assets, I read in this forum (pretty sure) an analogy that its like a multi-booster rocket. First 100K is the first stage, massive fuel spent to break gravity's hold. Second stage (500K), gets easier, you have some momentum, your career is hopefully on track, you've learned good savings habits. Third stage (1M) is easier still, the prime of your career, some compounding may creep in, etc. Fourth stage (FI) easiest of all, gravity is weakest, compounding starts to drive your results.

I am about at the halfway point between stage two and three for my total net worth. I will say I found stage 2 to be just as hard as stage 1, as 2008 really kicked my butt (both stock and real estate losses as I moved for a job).

Since I broke the 500k barrier, things have really moved. That probably means we are due to give back 10-20% in the market, but most of the growth has been from solid compensation growth and related savings. I get a lot of incentive comp, so year to year my savings rate moves. I max the Roth 401(k), pay extra on the mortgage, I converted TIRA's in 2010, and I am starting back-door roth's this year.

Good luck to the brethren.

Last edited:
I think to keep each other motivated, we should post milestones at the end of the year...and more often as achieved.

For example, I got a late start, so I reached $100K (401, Roth) last January at 38, now I'm at $145.5K (401 - 120.25K, Roth - 25.25K). In addition to maxing out my 401(k) and Roth, I also buy $50 in I Bonds every two weeks. This represents 32% of my pay (company kicks in an additional 4.5%)...not an easy feat for a single gal in SF, but I have my eyes on the prize!!!!

Greetings Folks,

I know we're not quite at the end of the year, but I'm posting my new milestones/stats now, as I'll be very busy until the end of the year.

A lot has happened since I last posted in the spring. I bought a single family home in the East Bay. It was a short sale, so I got it for much less than the seller paid for it 10 years ago. I forgot how expensive owning a home can be, especially for a single modest-income earner. It's old, but has gone through a few updates. My mortgage is only $300 more than my old apartment in the City, but there is always something to fix or update. All in all, I'm a proud homeowner and like all of my neighbors (except the German Shepard next door who barks at everything). My commute costs have quadrupled, but I'm near a quaint downtown with restaurants and shopping. It's definitely not my forever home, but I'll probably stay for a couple of years (2-5) and build a real emergency fund, plus play money.

My retirement numbers are pretty much the same because I borrowed against my 401(K) and took money out of my Roth. I'm not able to contribute as much to the 401(k) because I have to pay back $215 every two weeks, but it's basically the same amount as before (if you include the repay). In April, I borrowed $25k from my 401(k), reducing the balance to $101K, but since then I've put in $10K from all sources and I'm back up to $124k. Had I left the money in (no house), I'd have about $160K. I know for sure that I have more than that made up in equity, so I don't beat myself up too bad, and I am paying myself back. Conservatively, the house has gone up by 20%. I took $8.5k from my Roth and only put in about $500 since April, but it's back over $25k.

Lessons learned (Positive and Negative)

1. I'd rather rent an apartment in a artsy, urban area than live in the burbs (might feel different if I were married to a handy man). I like the culture and convenience of the City. Plus it's so expensive managing a house with one income.

2. For the time being, I think I made a smart move. The rents in SF are going through the roof and tons of people are being priced out of the city. My old place went from $1,433 to $1,895 and that is dirt cheap still for City now surpassing NYC.

3. I can't garden to save my life, and I don't love it either...though I have a nice little container garden going in my front yard and porch.

3. I now see the value of cash/emergency funds. I'm slowly working to build one up.

4. I bought at such a deal, that I'm almost certain to walk away with at least $50K after loan repay and CC payoff...shouldn't type that and jinx it.

5. I'll probably leave my job after I sell my house too and maybe move back to Seattle with healthier 401(k), Roth and 18 month emergency fund. Oh and travel a little, just a little...like Europe for the first time. I'm basically at 5 years, so I'll get $475/mo if I leave tomorrow and $100+ more for every year I stay.

6. Retirement savings are important but living life fully and seeing a little of the world is important too. I don't want to solely focus on "one day" in the future. A few colleagues have dropped dead recently and they were youngish, from cancers, sudden heart attack and stress.

New Retirement Savings Plan:
401(k): $1,650/month
Roth: $200/month (beginning January 3rd) - less but still something
Cash: $100/every two weeks

No change in retirement date.

Well, enough about me :LOL:....how are you folks doing?

Last edited:
My H and I are 35 and 37. This year has been pretty good so far. We are at $650k in retirement savings. We are putting away 33% of our money into pre- and post-tax accounts.

I think we'll hit $1M before I hit 40 (so less than 3 years). That will be cause for a celebration!

For 2014, the Roth IRA and 457b max limits are not changing, but the HSA limits are now at $3300 for 2014. H will up his monthly contributions to match the limit; I plan to open my own HSA in 2014 as well, so that will be 6 accounts between the both of us that we are maxing (Roths, HSAa and 457bs = $4383) opposed to the 5 accounts we were maxing for 2013.

Our employer also gives us 14.2% of each of our salaries on top of this to 401a accounts as part of our benefit package ($1782). Add this on to our personal contributions and 47% of our salary is being saved.

We recently had a talk about wants. Normally around New Year's we make a tick list for trips then assign tentative months to them. Usually they are all trips we can drive to and we do it cheap (aka camping or stay with friends). We want to go hike the the rifugios (huts) in the Dolomites; we want to take his parents with us on a trip to Norway before they get too old for a long flight like that; we would really like a hot tub for apres ski. If we stop all retirement contributions for just 2 months in 2014, we'd have all the money right there for the hot tub and for the Dolomites/Italy trip saved up in 2 months' time. Sounds tempting! I don't want to save all our big trips for retirement!

Then my car. I don't trust my car to leave the valley so it never goes more than 5 miles one way, but it does me fine for getting around town and to work. It's got a lot of quirks (some of which need to be fixed this month due to safety inspections), but it's paid for and so cheap the own. Not quite sure what to do about that. Probably just keep it until repairs are worth more than it's value?

Last edited:
My H and I are 35 and 37. This year has been pretty good so far. We are at $650k in retirement savings. We are putting away 33% of our money into pre- and post-tax accounts. I think we'll hit $1M before I hit 40 (so less than 3 years).

Way to go!

I keep it simple, annual savings (incl. match) / salary + bonus (that would be the bulk of my line 7). My salary is fixed, my bonus is not, hence the plus or minus in any given year.

+1
I try to keep it simple as well and maybe even a little more simple as I only count my inputs and not employer contributions. My current allocations are as follows:

Pre tax 401k - ~19% (maxed out)
After tax 401k - ~2%
HSA - ~4%
529 - ~2%
TOTAL = ~27%

DW's salary and allocations are almost identical with the exception of the after tax 401k as her company does not offer it so collectively we are sitting at ~25%.

Looking at between 2028 - 2030 to retire.

I am in awe of those that can save upwards of 50%. Well done!!!

I wish I was one of those people who could be happy eating at home every night, didn't like live theatre, or the occasional massage, but I'm not.

I know that I could/should have more, but I'm doing pretty well for a single homeowner making shy of $80k. We definitely live in a 2-income world.

This year has been good to me. Markets have been up which is nice of course, but I hit some personal milestones too. This is my first year of maxing 401k, and I maxed Roth IRA for both 2012 and 2013 this year too. My target retirement date is 2034.

That's great! Despite my name, I hope to go anywhere between 2033-2035. Race ya...🚣

I'm hoping for 2023 but looking like 2027 will be more realistic.

Back
Top Bottom