Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Confused and scared
Old 07-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused
Is retiring for me more important then my childs education?
Confused, let me jump on the bandwagon here regarding helping with your child's education.

The primary help you need to give a child is an environment that respects and nurtures the importance of learning. It does no good for you to scrimp and save for them to go to college if they don't see you valuing the importance of education while they are growing up.

We have two children that heard "when you go to college..." repeatedly from their parents when they were in middle and high school. They were conditioned ('brainwashed'?) that they would go to college after high school, understood they had to have respectable grades to get there, etc. Their degrees were financed through a combination of ways: scholarships, loans, work, a little from us, a little from grandparents, etc. The fact that they had to earn a significant portion of their tuition and expenses made them a lot more serious about their studies than some of their classmates.

Bottom line - it is much more important to create an environment that fosters your child's education than saving to fund it.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Bottom line - it is much more important to create an environment that fosters your child's education than saving to fund it.
Concur. For me the motivation was watching my father taking college classes when I was a kid - he did his homework at the kitchen table right next to me. For the first few years he took classes at night after working a long day. Later he went to school during the day and worked at night. He earned his college degree when I was 12 years-old. We went from poor to middle class within a month of him earning the degree (he went from manual laborer to engineer). I know there are other ways to succeed in life, but for me - having that vivid example at that particular age was enough to convince me of the value of an education and I made sure I got mine.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
The simpleliving forum can be a little extreme, but I've gotten some good ideas there.* Here is an example of an extreme post from this week (I'm not making this up):

The peanut butter strainer is a nut job of course, but unclemick has a point
about the electricity. *In June I spent 4 days fishing in northern Wisconsin.
No TV, no phone, no radio, etc. *The only electricity was provided by generator which was turned off most of the time. *I felt
no deprivation at all. *I could live there easily.

JG
Old 07-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #24

I was in a far worse situation at your age. I was a single mother (no child support) making less than 40k, owed 20K in back taxes, and was 36,000 in debt with NO retirement savings or any kind of savings whatsoever. I drove heaps that barely ran. I was robbing peter to pay paul. It was not pretty. However with sheer determination and time, I turned my situation completly around. I finished college and worked 7 days a week for 6 years. Now I'm 43, hold a Sr engineering position, make over 100K, own my own home and drive a brand new car that's paid for. I have a pretty good reserve account, enough to sustain me for 18 months should I lose my job. My 401k is on the light side, but I'm trying to catch up by maxing out my contributions.

Having said that, it is absolutely possible to improve your situation. It takes time and perseverance. Nothing happens overnight. You have some very good suggestions in this thread. You can do it!

I wish you the best of luck
Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #25

BTW - My child is 16 years old and she's smart, mature and responsible. Mouthy as heck, but I've never had any problems with her.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:18 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cube, you got game. Congratulations.

Ha
Old 07-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #27

Next on the Horatio Alger Hour......, I grew up in a single familiy household and my mom didnt have a college education. We still lived below our means and she never made anywhere near 40k and looking back I think it is good for kids to have some adversity. I was a pretty good student and was able to have a good education and have a nice engineering job, also.

If you have an excellent public university in the area, have the scrapper live at home, get scholarships, and help her out as you can and have her work summers. Works for a lot of folks!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #28

Further reinforcement: College vs. Retirement? Retirement Wins

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05072234.htm

REW

Old 07-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #29

That link's not working too well.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
That link's not working too well.
Thanks Al. Try it now.

REW

Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

So much information to take in. However, I can not stop feeling a little less confused and scared. I love the fact that people take time out to share their story. It is a great motivator. I think I can start not being so scared and just take a day at a time along with action. I do not see myself going to school, mostly because I am so slow at it and I @ 35 have to start with classes below high school level. That is hard for me to think about, but believe me I think about it. The car, I do feel I only got it because I needed something reliable and yes I am much buried. It is 16,800 I owe and $7000 is the worth and the other $2000 is medical dept. My credit is actually bad so I am cleaning it up. But I do not push that education is the big thing in my house which I know I should even more so now.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:08 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on your efforts to keep you and your child's life safe and stable.* You are a lot smarter than you give yourself credit, you are thoughtfull and prudent.* I have known book-smart folks who earned high grades in school who failed day-to-day living, and more who struggled through and did well.

Although you may not have done well in school there is no reason why your child can't do well.* Take time at the end of the day to read with him/her, do some math exercises together.* Not only is this good "Mommy and Me" time, your child will see that you are interested in education, and maybe you will refresh your own skills.

Live each day fully, save for your retirement, and you will be OK.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:03 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Yakkers really hit the nail on the head regarding the question of your retirement vs your child's education.* I'd just add (since I know that as a mother you're going to feel GUILY no matter what you do!* ;-)* *that I'm another example of his point.

I never got a dime from my parents for college - they just didn't have it.* But my grandfather and my mother were VERY clear about the value of an education, they encourage me to do my best, and reinforced the belief that I had the brains to do whatever I wanted.
People tend to really value those things that they've earned for themselves, as opposed to those that are just given to them.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote