Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Conspicuous consumption: I don't get it
Old 11-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lexus a beater car? guess I live in the wrong neighborhood. I look at all SUVs as CC and even more so now with the price of gas it takes to get those monsters down the road a few miles.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't understand people's drive for have "bigger and better". *I struggled with it mightily when I first got out of college and was trying to figure out what I was doing and where I was going. *I made some poor choices, but it has improved over time.

Now I spend way too much time asking aloud "Why the hell does someone want a house that big!?!?! *They have to clean it AND pay for it!"

Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I have no idea what AMT is going to do to us.
It will hurt.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Since when is a Lexus RX330 part of conspicous consumption?* It's a pretty inexpensive small SUV.* There are 4 of them on our cul-de-sac.* They are so prevalent in the community that they are considered just another ol' beater car.

Hummers are conspicious consumption though.* *You drive one when you want to declare to the world that you are an idiot and you just don't care.
I guess everything is relative. *I look at the thing and I see a fancy Toyota Highlander that costs more up front, has higher maintenance and insurance costs, and in general doesn't actually functionally do much more than the highlander. *Bear in mind also that these are folks who trade in for new every 2 or 3 years. *When asked why, I get answers like "it's got, like, 50,000 miles on it!"

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #25

I have a feeling that "conspicuous consuption" really doesn't have a hard-set definition. It's going to mean different things to different people. Now just by themselves, an '05 Mustang, an RX330, and an Escalade aren't necessarily signs of cc. Well, okay, maybe the Escalade is. But buying all three of them in rapid succession, especially when you have a Durango that's only a couple years old, screams cc to me. Now if these people make so much money that an Escalade to them is like a '76 Delta 88 with rusted out quarter panels to me, then maybe it's not really cc.

But, if they owe more on the Durango than it's worth, and are financing out the wazoo to buy these new cars, with the bonus only counting for the down payment, that would be cc to me.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Lexus a beater car?*
My other car is a Rolls Royce *

HH
Old 11-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #27

Brewer take the Chey emblem off the Avalanche and stick on the Cadillac one and whala you've got yourself and Escalade. Dh and I laugh every time one passes our Avalanche because we know we paid a whole lot less for the same dang thing!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
When I've decided to buy something, I usually buy something of quality.
Yeah, I think that's where you can draw the line. * Conspicuously silly consumption is when you pay more without getting higher quality. * *For example, some people like Rolex watches that don't keep time as well as a Timex and require winding (or shaking your wrist to "self-wind"). * *To me, that's not quality.

Same goes for the "luxury" car brands when they're just rebadged lower-end models with added frills. * * Even computer companies are doing this now (like Dell's XPS brand), and it just drives me nuts.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #29

Could be that we're wired to seek status for reproductive reasons, and wired to want stuff because up until recently stuff has been really scarce . . .

HH
Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #30

I remember reading where some wacko was saying that if you don't enjoy doing something, try doing it with no clothes on. *
Why not give it a shot CT, and let the rest of us know how it was.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfHaroldHill
Could be that we're wired to seek status for reproductive reasons, and wired to want stuff because up until recently stuff has been really scarce . . .

HH
Not sure I can see it as much for "status" as much as just the desire to have gadgets, cool cars, plasma TVs, high end stereos, and the "best" of something. If you have the cash you can get these things that make you happy (at least for a little while). If it were to attract a female for mating purposes (not that some don't do it for that reason) then women would not be a much a part of it as they seem to be; at least from my experience.

I have done my share of consuming. The things I like happen to cost money to own in order to use. I don't buy art unless I like it. I buy cars for a purpose and not for style. I have my share of "toys" and use them for what they where purchased for; enjoyment.

C-T likes his $600 fly rod-reel and that is because it makes him happy. I like my Kodiac 450 because it makes me happy and I enjoy riding it. I didn't get it to impress anybody. No one even sees it where I use it.

CC to some is in fact CC. To others it is a way to get the things that make them happy and being happy should be a part of living a good life. If you are only going to Scrooge away your money for future income then if you die tomorrow and have not lived, then what have you accomplished?

Just my two cents.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I saw a blurb on t.v. last night talking about a service where you can have the designer hand bags the stars own for much less. It's like netflix for purses. You pay $100 a month, pick out a bag from their selection (these bags allegedly go for 5 grand or more) and use it as long as you want, then return it for a different bag. Considering many people seem to find their handbag out of date after a few months, sounds like it might be a smart move for some. Fortunately DW has never bought a handbag for close to $100.

Now if only I could find a rent-a-rolex/expensive watch service. Hey, maybe I just hit upon a business model....
Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I fight CC every day!* I love all things lux.* I want a lexus, I want a Porsche, I want a Rolex, I want a 3000 sq. foot house overlooking the ocean, I want a plasma and a klipsch sound system.
Yesterday we splurged $800 on another 200 W of photovoltaic panels. When my pulse rate settles down a little I'm going to hang out at Inter Island Solar Supply and see what kind of mounting racks they have!

The seller's an interesting guy. He works at Enova Hawaii putting together EVs and fuel cell vehicles for an Air Force contract on Hickam AFB. The four PV panels are 11 years old, still in their original box, and he says he just hasn't gotten around to putting anything up yet. He's hinted that he has more panels and may be selling them later on. I think I've found a fellow solar groupie...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Now if only I could find a rent-a-rolex/expensive watch service. Hey, maybe I just hit upon a business model....
Go buy a $10 Folex from your nearby Chinatown. Lie your head off about it, and no one will know the difference.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yesterday we splurged $800 on another 200 W of photovoltaic panels.
Is that considered cheap for old panels?* *Our neighbor just put up a bunch of brand-new Sanyo HIT panels at a little more than* $4/watt.

Sanyo HIT
Old 11-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

What grosses me out about a lot of conspicuous consumers is that they don't put a lot of thought into their purchases. *I like quality, but when I buy something expensive its because I've done the research, have lusted after it a long time, and shopped for a good deal, not just because "all of the cool kids have one." *I think I'm immune to that kind of thinking, I just don't like spending money all that much.

OTOH, The husband does love to spend money on his hobbies, but also finds the hunt for a good deal is half the fun. *He has a high end triathlon bike that turns quite a few heads (Softride) but its something that he's taken 2 years to build - frame off ebay, friend of a friend had some extra speedplay pedals, etc. *He enjoys the bike, enjoys having got it for such a good deal, and yes, does enjoy having others "ooh and ahhh" over it. *I don't give him a hard time about it though - he commutes on it almost every day and while it might be conspicuous its way cheaper than a Lexus.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfHaroldHill
Could be that we're wired to seek status for reproductive reasons,HH
Old 11-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #38

FlowGirl that's how I feel about "stuff", we buy quality at the best price we can find, doesn't make sense to buy something we'll have to replace if only we'd bought the something well made. Same with my collecting, I can buy just about anything I want for my doll or glass collection on Ebay but the things I treasure most are the great pieces I found at a fleamarket for 1/100th of the real price. It's all in the hunt for the good deals, some how I think that's something all us LBYMers are all about.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

To me, CC means purchasing lots of stuff on credit or buying with windfall $$ ( bonuses, etc) when someone has debt that should be paid down or they haven't funded their retirement.

The inability to delay pleasure today to better prepare for the long/medium term is part of the issue.

my 2 cents..

goodguy
Old 11-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #40

Maybe I'm missing something, isn't part of CC being 'conspicous'? A person can reasonably or unreasonably consune what they want but the feature of CC is doing it for attention or (presumed) social standing. My neighbor has a 120K$ Mercedes in an area of beaters and cheap newer cars (I have an 05 Ford Focus). Its a nice car and if I could afford the Mercedes I still wouldn't buy it.