Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Isn't that within the normal band for a random blood glucose test ( assume that is what you meant by non fasting)

Criteria for diagnosing diabetes

I am labeled pre-diabetic.... but I have had some of the readings listed as being diabetic...

A normal reading when it was taken should have been around 100 as it was about 3 or more hours after eating... 80 to 100 is normal....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For me, crossing off each day on a calendar worked better. If I had thought about what I would buy with the extra money, I would have come to the logical conclusion that I would most like to buy a little more time in retirement.
Touche!
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My interpretation also.

Yes, extreme levels of stress can kill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

I hate to tell you this, citrine, but I think he died. DesiGirl used the word "succumbed". DesiGirl, can you clarify?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The odds of a 65 yrs lifespan are:
  • only 1 in 5 for males (19.7% deceased)
Thanks for the details. This seems to support ER in my opinion. Most people here want 95% - 100% Firecalc results, but we crossed over the life curve with only with 80% survival? Also, one out of every seven workers will suffer a five-year or longer period of disability before age 65. Too much chance for me of "one more year" not being so great.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew stress could be detrimental to your health but I have never heard it may affect diabetes. Diabetes runs strong in my family and I have had no indications of a problem in my checkups (infrequent) but I live a healthier lifestyle than everyone in my family so I assumed I wouldn't need to be concerned about it. I have plenty of stress to contend with so I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for sharing this sad story.
Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward1 View Post
I knew stress could be detrimental to your health but I have never heard it may affect diabetes. Diabetes runs strong in my family and I have had no indications of a problem in my checkups (infrequent) but I live a healthier lifestyle than everyone in my family so I assumed I wouldn't need to be concerned about it. I have plenty of stress to contend with so I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for sharing this sad story.
Actually stress and diabetes have been linked through inflammatory mediators (which are not annoying lobbyists, but chemicals released in the body). Here are some research studies if you want to read about it.

http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=s...ed=0CCkQgQMwAA
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote