Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dallas, Texas....good place to live?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:09 AM   #21

Hi Lurksalot! Well, I love Dallas. Austin reminds me of Madison, Wisconsin with better weather. I too have noticed Dallas' breasts (and other body parts, but I digress). When I was shopping for a marina at Lake
Texoma, my guide says to me "Yep, come back in July and you can sit right here and watch acres of silicone!"
Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country!

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2004, 06:56 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I certainly can't help but comment on a topic that mentions Austin!

As far as jobs are concerned, Austin has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Texas. Sure some PhD's wait tables, but there aren't many jobs out there for PhD's in art history anywhere. They just choose to live in Austin.

Texas in general funds programs (schools and such) on property taxes and sales taxes (at least as far as individuals are concerned). But, we don't have a state income tax. If the property tax rates in the Austin school district look too onerous, you can always look out west in the heart of the hillcountry for lower rates and smaller towns.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #23

Quote:
As far as jobs are concerned, Austin has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Texas. Sure some PhD's wait tables, but there aren't many jobs out there for PhD's in art history anywhere. They just choose to live in Austin.
Haha. I knew I was going to get a reply from someone in Austin. I was just hating because so many good bands avoid Dallas in favor of Austin.
Austin really does have a lot going for it, and it's own problems. Dallas sees a huge number of transplants who come because for jobs. Said transplants tend to complain incessantly about how bad Dallas "sux" compared to where they are from. So, as one of seemingly few natives I get a little touchy on the subject. But all in all, I suspect I'd be pretty happy just about anywhere.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The Truth About Austin, Texas

I moved to Austin in 1972. Great little college town, good geography on the west side (beginning of Texas Hill country. Had lots of fun, cost of living was cheap, and there was much free music and public ad hoc parties. Real cowboys and college kids got along fine and Austin was often described as 'laid-back'.

Fast forward 30 years. The high tech boom put the place on the map and it soon got Californicated. Now the housing prices are higher than Houston and most of Dallas. The traffic is much worse. The population of the city and adjacent counties exploded and is mow four to five times as many people with traffic that is unbearable.

There is no solution for the traffic... Politically and enviornmentally ... near gridlock twice a day. Taxes and fees go up and up. City government loves to throw money at every proposed project. I left Austin and bought a small ranch about 60 miles west. When I must go into a city I shop, I use San Antonio. S.A. though bigger is nicer and easier to get around.

I now dread having to drive into Austin and see the development of every hill and valley. It used to be a good place for ER but not any longer. The twenty somethings in town are rude, hurried, and certainly no longer 'laid-back'.

There are many small towns in Texas that are still affordable, friendly and have that special Texas character. Avoid Austin is my recommendation. If I were again in my twenties I would not live in Austin.

Check the website in my profile for a bit of real Texas.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 AM   #25

Hi Ol_rancher! I am not all that familar with Austin
but you confirmed my suspicions. BTW, as a big fan
of Texas, a disclaimer: I have only actually lived inside the Dallas metroplex, although I have traveled the
entire state (a lot of real estate) except for the extreme
south (Brownsville area).

John Galt