Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dead @ 52 :(
Old 03-14-2006, 08:18 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One year ago this week my brother died of cancer. I literally think about him* everyday. He was 56. We all know cancer or some other tragic event can happen to any of us but it doesn't really sink in until a loved one or friend is taken away.

This time next year I will be retiring. I want to retire early enough so that I can enjoy traveling and doing other things that I have neglected over the years. March 31, 2007 can't get here soon enough!*

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday my dh attended the memorial of an old friends wife. Retired Wed March 15th, laid down to take a nap Sat March 18th, never woke up, she was 59. No warning at all.

Dh wants me to retire.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Yesterday my dh attended the memorial of an old friends wife.* Retired Wed March 15th, laid down to take a nap Sat March 18th, never woke up, she was 59.* *No warning at all.*

Dh wants me to retire.
It sucks. My wife retired after 34 very tough years and died suddenly only 78 months into it. She was having a great time and was finally enjoying her life. We had no idea it would end so fast. She was 57.

Get out as soon as you can do so financially. This is not something you should dwell on but it is something everyone should keep an open mind about. I can't tell you the number of widows I know that lost a husband to a sudden heart attack before they were 50. Their husbands were mostly in good health and no history of heart disease. Add to that car accidents, industrial accidents, sudden death due to disease or getting a terminal illness. You just don't know when your number is coming up.

I am not suggesting everyone drop out of their jobs and throw caution to the wind so they can spend every minute with their SO. What I am saying is to do what you can today and tomorrow and the next day to spend more Quality time with your SO. Tell them you love them as often as you can. Show them you love them in little ways. Don't put off doing the little stuff to show them how much you care. The key for me is if my DW were to die tomorrow, what would I regret not doing more of with her? What could I do more or better for her? It is not about taking around the world cruises or buying fancy cars or jewelry; it is about share your self with the time you both have left.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

I am not suggesting everyone drop out of their jobs and throw caution to the wind so they can spend every minute with their SO. What I am saying is to do what you can today and tomorrow and the next day to spend more Quality time with your SO. Tell them you love them as often as you can. Show them you love them in little ways. Don't put off doing the little stuff to show them how much you care. The key for me is if my DW were to die tomorrow, what would I regret not doing more of with her? What could I do more or better for her? It is not about taking around the world cruises or buying fancy cars or jewelry; it is about share your self with the time you both have left.

Very well said! You obviously know what you're talking about and have seen the light.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I can't tell you the number of widows I know that lost a husband to a sudden heart attack before they were 50.* Their husbands were mostly in good health and no history of heart disease.
What am I missing here? Were they subsequently found to have signs of heart disease that had been misinterpreted or even ignored? Did they have any risk factors? Or did a heart attack come literally out of nowhere?

I've read about women's hormone imbalances that lead to cardiac instability. I've read about undiagnosed heart murmers that don't show up until you're mountain biking. But I'd sure like to know if there's something about guy's heart attacks that's gonna try to sneak up on me.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What am I missing here?* Were they subsequently found to have signs of heart disease that had been misinterpreted or even ignored?* Did they have any risk factors?* Or did a heart attack come literally out of nowhere?

I've read about women's hormone imbalances that lead to cardiac instability.* I've read about undiagnosed heart murmers that don't show up until you're mountain biking.* But I'd sure like to know if there's something about guy's heart attacks that's gonna try to sneak up on me.
A close friend lost her husband of 35 to a sudden heart attack while he was out of town on business. He was found dead in his hotel room. Died in his sleep. No prior history of heart problems.

I read the autopsy report of my late wife. She died from septicemia from subclinical pneumonia that moved into her bloodstream. She had no spleen and the infection was fatal. The report indicated she hd 90% blockage in her coronary arteries. A few months before she had had a cardiac stress test which showed normal fucntion and blood flow. Not exactly true in here case. She was a walking heart attack waiting to happen only the septicemia got her first.

Unless you have had an arteriogram of your heart you don't reall know what shape they are in. Family history is one indication of the potential for heart problems as are other risks such as smoking, high LDL cholesterol, high triglycerides, poor exercise habits, diabetes, etc. Some folks get a warning shot across the bow and have a minor attack that generates all the testing to confirm the diagnosis. Others never have symptoms or don't have them bad enough to seek out medical attention leading to no treatment and a worsening of the condition to fatal proportions.

Even with annual physicals and carido tests, there is still a good chance you can have a potentially fatal heart condition that could take you out like a light. Most medical testing will tell you if you HAD a heart attack but are not as predictive as one might think. Electrical problems with the heart are easier to see than circulatory ones unless you get inside to see how clogged up the plumbing has become. Blood clots are also a big unknown. If you create on in your leg because you sit in an airplane without moving around for hours at a time and it breaks off and gets into your heart to plug up a major artery you are toast. Potential clots are really hard to predict.

Sorry to ruin your day but the state of the art for heart attack prediction does not seem as rosey as one might hope. Most of the effort has been on fixing a problem once it has been found. It is the finding part that still needs some work.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #27

Dh didn't feel comfortable asking a lot of questions but he said it was a shock to everyone so there must not have been any underlying illnesses.

You really never know what's goind on inside you, do what you can to stay healthy is all we can do.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What am I missing here? Were they subsequently found to have signs of heart disease that had been misinterpreted or even ignored? Did they have any risk factors? Or did a heart attack come literally out of nowhere?

I've read about women's hormone imbalances that lead to cardiac instability. I've read about undiagnosed heart murmers that don't show up until you're mountain biking. But I'd sure like to know if there's something about guy's heart attacks that's gonna try to sneak up on me.
They have often said that the first symptom of heart disease is sudden death.

If Bill Clinton had a heart attack sneak up on him, with the best doctors in the world monitoring his health, then it is not surprising. Yes we all knew he ate Big Macs, but he still had yearly physicals by the best!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry to ruin your day but the state of the art for heart attack prediction does not seem as rosey as one might hope.* Most of the effort has been on fixing a problem once it has been found.* It is the finding part that still needs some work.
I'm just going to go on hoping that 3x tae kwon do and 2x surfing every week will help me detect the symptoms early in the process...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:21 AM   #30

nm