Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
My only advice is expect to do a lot of cleaning, purging & reorganizing once U drop out....at least that's how its been here..
When we moved less than 2 years ago, we did that in spades. We filled a 30 cubic yard dumpster with crap that was not coming with us and the tippage bill showed that it was almost 3 tons. Have not managed to reload on the junk yet.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats Brewer! Work on your ER to do list to pass the time.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Indeed. When I am ready to break the news to my superiors I plan to offer to be a contractor for them. I have unique expertise they cannot replace so I will pitch them on having access to my skills and a third to a half the cost of me as a full time employee.
I am planning to make the same offer to my CEO this month and hope this works out for both of us. ESR must be better than sitting at a desk full time.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I am planning to make the same offer to my CEO this month and hope this works out for both of us. ESR must be better than sitting at a desk full time.
Meh, if they don't want to do a contractor thing, so be it. I am sick of the nonsense anyway.

- George Orwell

Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Congrats to you Brew. A good plan for sure. I've been enjoying watching my DH get ready to leave his job for at least a year-long sabbatical this summer, and he has already been thinking of all the good fun stuff he will be able to do. I know you are equally excited now that you've settled on a plan.

Best to you and I can really see you gradually doing more consulting work in private practice as you detox from this job.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Meh, if they don't want to do a contractor thing, so be it. I am sick of the nonsense anyway.
Ditto; but, there is something about the devil I know being a somewhat comforting thought going into ESR.

Good luck and congratulations on making the decision.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Brewer, given the title of this thread ("Decision Made") the only response that comes to my mind is, "er, well, Congratulations?" I hope your decision is a happy one for you and that life gives you everything you desire.

Being done with the decision making process and seeing a clear path ahead is a nice feeling, that's for sure.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #28

Congratulations on making your decision; I know you have wrestled with it for awhile. I hope it all works out the way you want. The good news is that once you make the decision, all the crap that happens at work seems less important.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, this sounds awesome. It sounds like you are entering into this with the right attitude. Worst case, in a year or three you go back to work (somewhere).

One idea to do before you announce your resignation, make sure you have all your excess vacation/PTO/sick days/leave days used up sufficiently so you don't leave anything on the table. I am slowly realizing my employer has strange rules about getting paid out for leave time that are counter intuitive and totally different than what I am used to in similar jobs. I thought I had a vested right to certain pots of leave time I have accumulated but that vested right extends to only a certain number of hours of leave. In other words, I would be better off taking a few weeks off right before my resignation, then cashing out the remaining leave time. If I resigned with the full amount of leave time in place, the amount they pay out is limit to 30 days vacation (or something like that).
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Congrats, this sounds awesome. It sounds like you are entering into this with the right attitude. Worst case, in a year or three you go back to work (somewhere).

One idea to do before you announce your resignation, make sure you have all your excess vacation/PTO/sick days/leave days used up sufficiently so you don't leave anything on the table. I am slowly realizing my employer has strange rules about getting paid out for leave time that are counter intuitive and totally different than what I am used to in similar jobs. I thought I had a vested right to certain pots of leave time I have accumulated but that vested right extends to only a certain number of hours of leave. In other words, I would be better off taking a few weeks off right before my resignation, then cashing out the remaining leave time. If I resigned with the full amount of leave time in place, the amount they pay out is limit to 30 days vacation (or something like that).
Exactly: if it does not work out for some reason, I go back to work (or DW does if I find I cannot).

Things are pretty straight forward here. I cliff vest in retirement goodies in December. They don't allow us to carry over material amounts of vacation time and we don't accrue PTO/sick time at all, so there is very little to be left on the table.

- George Orwell

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats- I sort of did the same thing last year, except the impetus was me missing my young child desperately! DH has a job that covers our modest bills and allows us to save (only around 15-20% now).

I'm mostly happy and so is DH and the kiddo, but sometimes I'm conflicted because I know I'll never make the kind of salary I did again. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been wiser to stick it out for until we both had the option to RE.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrat Brewer!!!

Does your wife have a clear understanding you are not trading your Corp job to be a maid yeah? I see another post about house cleaning above and scare to death trying the same exit.
DallasFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have always shared house tasks, kid stuff, etc. I don't expect much of a change, although I will pick up stuff like mowing the lawn when we fire the lawn service.

- George Orwell

Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #34

Congrats! That's really exciting. I know you were intending to wait it out and go straight to ER, but this way it's like you're getting an early start!

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #35

Congratulations, Brewer.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #36

That's great Brewer! Now, you can slow down and smell the roses. And more important things like doing stuff with the kids, and hunting and fishing and gardening and...

Kinda like Donald, (The WebCajun)...

Ahhh...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #37

Congratulations, Brewer. I enjoy reading your comments and posts and believe you will be successful.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #38

Congrats making the decision. It seems that you have been unhappy for awhile regarding the job situation. I agree with the others that you are intelligent and plan well, so I think that you will do fine and will be much happier. Good luck!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Way to go Brew. Live long and prosper.

Ha
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #40

Hey Brewer - where in Colorado do you live, if you care to say? You mentioned lawn service, so I assume you're in Denver or the Springs.

I lived in Littleton, and also in Teller County (west of the Springs, up in the mountains) when I lived in Colorado, and loved it. Someday, I hope to get back there, at least for a year or two to start my "Life 2.0" hopefully in a couple years, if I'm lucky enough to be able to (semi) retire.

Regardless, be safe out there...I understand Colorado is having a heck of a time with the drought and fire conditions. Makes me sad to see all those forests burning in the summertime
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote