Join Early Retirement Today

Depressed
Old 06-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Depressed

I am just feeling depressed today. I am not sure why. Maybe because I think work is borring. Or maybe it is because we are doing layoffs. Or maybe it is because I have my performance review tomorrow. Or maybe it is because my last spreadsheet said it would take more than 7 years more of work. Or maybe it was because the my carwash lost a little money this last week. Maybe all of the above.

So what did I do about it, avoid work and read about living in thailand.

I keept looking at the numbers from every angle possible. I keep thinking there must be some way of spinning the numbers.

Does anyone else get depressed at 7 more years of work! It sounds like forever. Not to mention that my daughter will be nine by then! ARG! I just want to quit. I need a sabbatical.

Rodger
rw86347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Depressed
Old 06-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have any where from 11-15 years left and it is discouraging because work is no fun. But you need to enjoy today as well as dream about tomorrow. I look forward to the weekends and am always planning my next vacation in the short term.
RetireEarly50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retireinmy40s
you need to enjoy today as well as dream about tomorrow.
I would push this a little further...if you enjoy "every today" (even if that means enjoying today while 'planning' for tomorrows, well if you enjoy every today then, well, you win....
Old 06-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This might help:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=8363.0
Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Or maybe it is because we are doing layoffs.
This one gets my vote -- no question.

Layoffs suck! You're friends are out the door, everyone's got a sword hanging over their heads, those who are gone take a financial hit and those who are left do twice the work for half the thanks because management thinks they should feel lucky to have any job at all.

I'd be surprised if you were NOT depressed!

I think a little daydreaming about Thailand is not a bad idea... but maybe add something more active -- go running, life a few weights, take a walk at least...

I like to hike to the top of a local mountain, look down at the Bay Area and its teeming cities, and realize that hey, there's a huge world out there, with a million opportunities, and that my small world only LOOKS that way from my limited perspective.

Whatever you do, I hope you feel better...

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am feeling good today. My wife has the summer off because she works for the school system. She has now had five weeks off. It is driving her crazy. She wants to go back to work. I don't think ER is right for her, which means that I can ER earlier!!! Anyone got JG's number?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
You got that right!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
Anyone got JG's number?
I know his wife's got it... Oh, do you mean his phone number?

Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm right there with you this week. I have 15 years left at least. And Boston U. is not happy with my application, so if I get into the Master's program it will be on a probation/contigency plan. Geez, I can't believe I'm hoping to be put on probation.

Work has been pretty yechhy this past couple weeks. That compounded by the stock market tanking has made the glimmer of ER seem very distant. Bright spot is DW and Tori are having a great time.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I know his wife's got it... Oh, do you mean his phone number?

Actually I *do* have his phone number. Been meaning to drop him a little call...

But I cant decide between "Is your refrigerator running?" and "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Work has been pretty yechhy this past couple weeks. That compounded by the stock market tanking has made the glimmer of ER seem very distant. Bright spot is DW and Tori are having a great time.
Sorry that work has been hard. But the stock market hasn't exactly tanked. Be forewarned.

Also, glad your home life is good. Most important, for sure.

Ha
Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I think the saying goes, "Happy Wife is a happy life!"

I should be better in a week, Friday is the "off" Friday on my 9/80 schedule, and I'm taking Monday off, so I won't be back to work until Wednesday!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Rodger, keep your chin up, looking at the numbers should make you feel better, not worse. If it does, then take some time off from excel! But I know how you feel after the last couple of weeks!
Ours will be a two-step ER, with DH quitting in 6 years at 50 and me waiting another 8 until I am 50 as well. I think that last 8 will suck more than the first 6, but it is the only way he can quit early. DH retiring at 50 is very important to me, so that helps keep an eye on the prize.
Identifying goals along the way can help, too. I was the general contractor on our home (didn't do quite as much as you did!), and the satisfaction of watching each part of the house be completed was wonderful--now I just have to find ways to make the ER incremental goals "feel" that good. But I agree, sometimes I just daydream about Mongolia, NZ, Peru, etc. instead.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
But I agree, sometimes I just daydream about Mongolia....

Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

It takes all kinds, Ha. Not that many years ago I went on vacation in a place that at that time was a Navy base and a bombing/artillery range. 6 years later I can't afford to buy property there.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Fishing with prairie dogs? Last week we're killing and eating the bunny, now this...

If I were that guy, seeing the size of that fish, I'd have left the waders at home, stayed on shore for fear of being mistaken for 'bait', and brought a harpoon.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Point made, Cut-Throat. What a fish!

Ha
Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cut: That fish is outrageous!!

Appears that he was using light tackle also.

Landing him must have been an all day affair.

Thanx for sharing.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bunnay
Fishing with prairie dogs?* Last week we're killing and eating the bunny, now this...

If I were that guy, seeing the size of that fish, I'd have left the waders at home, stayed on shore for fear of being mistaken for 'bait', and brought a harpoon.
Hell, here in Texas, that fish IS bait... :P : :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bunnay
Fishing with prairie dogs?* Last week we're killing and eating the bunny, now this...

"Here are some great recipes for your dining pleasure. These have been sent in by some active prairie dog fishermen.

Prairie Dog Stew

Ingredients:
1 prairie dog, quartered
1 cup diced onion
2 large tomatoes (from your garden) or 1 can of tomatoes
Assorted fresh ,or canned veggies

Preparation:
Sprinkle seasoned salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional) liberally on the meat. Pour some cooking oil into a large pot (dutch oven). Sauté the meat with the onions until well browned. Drain the excess oil, add about 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cut up the tomatoes and add. If you use canned tomatoes add them now. Turn down the heat, and let slow cook for at least an hour. Important: older prairie dogs may require cooking longer than an hour. Check periodically for tenderness. If you don't you will have a hard time chewing the meat. After the meat is tender, add the veggies, carrots, potatoes, banana pepper, what ever you like. Cook until the veggies are done. An option you can use is, cook up your favorite pasta and serve over the pasta. (eliminate the potatoes). That's it, nice and simple."

Source:
PDFT Praire Dog Recipes
http://www.lovelandnet.com/toms-plac...df/recipes.htm