Join Early Retirement Today

Discussing salary, a taboo not to be broken?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Discussing salary, a taboo not to be broken?

So does anyone break that rule of not discussing salary? I'm totally guilty of it In fact I have a friend who moved to a cheap part of the east coast, and just got a new job making 6 grand more than me, and I'm saying, "Dang! Game on!" in a friendly competitive way. I have friends who are totally against this, who adamantly refuse to discuss it. I understand you don't want to cause hard feellings, but I've always felt I use good discretion as to who I talk to about it, and usually the difference in salary with those I talk to is relatively small, like the case above. When I find out somebody has been making more than me, I'm like, "dang, how did you do that? I'm going to pick your brain!". I don't get all bent like my more discreet friends warn me I might. Am I crazy?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Discussing salary, a taboo not to be broken?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Better to discuss your sexual practices than your salary. At least it was when I was working.

If you're making more than me, I'm mad; and vice versa. Causes all kinds of trouble, especially if I see myself as more qualified, harder-working, etc. I never discussed it, especially with friends or co-workers.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #3

People will just be jealous and think they deserve more. Same as discussing FIRE plans... I think it is human nature. *It is actually much easier to be petulant

It is one of the major reasons that I get so bored with co-workers.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

A few weeks ago, I read this article in Psychology Today:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...808-000005.xml

Sure, images of Donald Trump's gilded Boeing jet or of Kimora Lee Simmons's 30-carat diamond ring and 42-inch legs feed into our status anxiety on some level. But at the end of the day, we're concerned with our immediate reference group -- one made up of about 150 people. "When you see Bill Gates' mansion, you don't actually aspire to have one like it. It's who is local, who is near you physically and who is most like you -- your family members, coworkers and old high school classmates -- with whom you compare yourself
In the 1980s, Frank dismantled a premise central to economic theory: People will always choose the greatest absolute amount of wealth. Landmark research shows that our preferences are actually quite relative. We'd rather make $50,000 while living in a neighborhood where everyone else makes $40,000 than earn $100,000 among those who are raking in $150,000.

Peers in our little pond, such as the old college crew, are the most accurate yardsticks of our own performance. They probably started out in life with the same advantages as we did and are the same age. They are our rivals, fair and square.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Am I crazy?
As Martha Mrs. Putin says: "Alexander Vladimir, never ask a question you don't already know the answer to. You nut."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #6

I've found that the only people truly happy for you are your parents. They would love to here about your large salary or maybe an increase.

Everyone else is Jealous or envious.

No advantage for you to discuss your salary with anyone except your boss if you have one.

JMHO
Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #7

It's a good idea not to ever discuss your salary with co-workers.

I work in area which supports HR and PR systems for mega-corp and I see mega $$$$$$$$ in various types of compensation pass by my computer screen. At first I was shocked (more in awe as to what these people's lives must be like), then upset when I found out some of my peers were making way more than I was, then I learned to completely tune it out. Working in this capacity with mega-corp has been a good lesson for me. It also taught me to negotiate my salary much better with future employers.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #8

I worked for a company with the policy to terminate an employee that discussed their salary with another employee.
We believed them and didn't share our salary.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
It's a good idea not to ever discuss your salary with co-workers.

I work in area which supports HR and PR systems for mega-corp and I see mega $$$$$$$$ in various types of compensation pass by my computer screen. At first I was shocked (more in awe as to what these people's lives must be like), then upset when I found out some of my peers were making way more than I was, then I learned to completely tune it out. Working in this capacity with mega-corp has been a good lesson for me. It also taught me to negotiate my salary much better with future employers.
I don't want to leave the impression that I advertise it, but I do communicate at times wrt salary on a one on one basis and I guess the consensus here is it's a bad idea. But here CR touched on why I find it useful. No web site is really going to give me good salary research for my niche and geographic location, but research of my true peers does. For example, I'm mentioned I just moved to a new department, and while the immediate change in salary was slight, I was able to learn it had much better long term salary prospects in part by having these type of conversations on both sides. The department I left was not bad work, but I learned that I was fast approaching the upper limit of what I could make (i.e. I was only ten grand below my boss, and only 20k below the Director!). I guess I always took the information that some one made significantly more than me as good news, in the sense that "it can be done". Maybe I'm cruising for a burn when somebody learns I make more than them. I'll try to show a little more discretion.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #10

Discussing salaries among your peers only encourages people to expect you to pay more than your fair share of a dinner or bar tab. For all of the utility in knowing that it's possible to make more money than you are, it's more likely to invoke envy because there's nothing you can do in the short term to alleviate the discrepancy.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Discussing salaries among your peers only encourages people to expect you to pay more than your fair share of a dinner or bar tab.
that is true or borrow money and not pay it back
Old 11-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
No web site is really going to give me good salary research for my niche and geographic location, but research of my true peers does.
Very true. I used salary.com but find their job descriptions way too vague sometimes. As far as your manager and director, sometimes there are swings all over the place within a salary range. My boss is at grade XX and she has many counterparts throughout the organization who make 20-30K per year more per year, with the same responsibilities. I've also seen big variations at other grade levels. It has nothing to do with tenure either. It's hard to gauge reality sometimes, with so many swings at the same level.

Where's brat? She should be able to shed some light on this issue.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I discuss it with a close friend on occasion, but this is somebody I've known for 20 years. We aren't competitive with each other, so it works. I don't discuss it with my parents, who I am otherwise pretty open with (I manage their money, I'm the executor of their estate, etc.). They have a tendency to think that I can go hod wild on consumption because the top line number sounds good to them. Meanwhile, I bet my mortgage is bigger than all the loans they ever had.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #14

Had a group of old friends over for dinner a couple years ago ... the "mine is bigger than your's" discussion started.

I said "Keep your fly's up gentlemen ... it's what you've saved that counts. What's in the retirement account?"

End of discussion.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #15

Discussing salary is a great idea. As long as you're discussing it with the person who sets it. Salary is more a function of your willingness to negotiate than anything else. Most people just accept the first offer. Rarely a good idea. Job hoppers also tend to make the highest salaries.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Discussing salary is a great idea. As long as you're discussing it with the person who sets it. Salary is more a function of your willingness to negotiate than anything else. Most people just accept the first offer. Rarely a good idea. Job hoppers also tend to make the highest salaries.
Excellent insight, my man. You hit it hard and true with your last sentence.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have never discussed salary with anyone other than my direct boss and my wife. It would create jealousy and animousity amongst friends and family.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #18

Most Americans are reluctant to reveal salary info. This is not true with Asians. They share salary info and career ambitions.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Discussing salary is a great idea. As long as you're discussing it with the person who sets it. Salary is more a function of your willingness to negotiate than anything else.
Everytime I bring up this issue, my boss would say it is out of my hand. It is futile to discuss it with him. It seems as if I am talking to the wall.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
You hit it hard and true
Wheat bread.