Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: ditch the car retire early
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Plus, I guess the 24x40 garage I built last year kept food on a few contractors' dinner plates.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #22

Dallas-Fort Worth area public transit has come a long way in the past 10 to 15 years. I can actually catch a train and get 40-60 miles to the other side of the metroplex. It would take a couple of hours, though, and I haven't checked out how bus service is. I checked out of curiosity since the trains were pretty new before I moved away and have expanced between then and my recent moveback.

In another 10 years we may be where BART was 20 years ago!

It may be feasible to get around DFW without a car, but I wouldn't want to try it unless I lived close into one of the downtown areas. Then the price difference would probably offset the advantage of ditching a car.

Texas wasn't built with public transit in mind.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Cars are bloody metal leeches on wheels. I really wish I didn't have to drive, some of you are lucky. We live near my wife's job, so only one car, but it is absolutely necessary in So Cal (1 hour round trip commute).
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #24

I just came in from outside, sweeping out the garage floor. I was going to get it prepped and ready to paint tomorrow morning. But then I checked the weather and it's supposed to be in the damn 90's again. This epoxy floor paint is very temperature sensitive, so I'm going to have to wait for a cooler day.

Trust me though, while I was out there sweeping that floor up, sweating like a pig in heat, I was starting to question why I like cars so danged much! And I was starting to think, do I own them, or do they own me? Suddenly that "Maximum Overdrive" theme song "Who Made Who" is going through my mind.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I just came in from outside, sweeping out the garage floor.* I was going to get it prepped and ready to paint tomorrow morning.* But then I checked the weather and it's supposed to be in the damn 90's again.* This epoxy floor paint is very temperature sensitive, so I'm going to have to wait for a cooler day.
Oh, great, it's temperature sensitive, so no problems with hot tires...

You've probably already spent your money, but have you looked into polyurea?
http://www.polyurea.com/spps/ahpg.cfm?spgid=12

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
We used to have a car, a truck, five motorcycles, and two ATVs. (and a house and a cabin)* A little much.* Lots of insurance checks.*

Sold the cabin and bought the motorhome. The motorhome will depreciate to nothing.* The cabin likely would increase in value.* I like the motorhome and don't miss the cabin in the least.*
Gave the truck to my sister.* (We miss the truck)
Sold the ATVs.
Sold all but two motorcycles, though we probably will increase our motorcycle inventory in the future.

We seem to get along ok with one car for two people, especially because I don't drive to work.* I do feel at times that we have too many motor vehicles, but that ebbs and flows. I always seem to be up for another motorcycle or scooter. Because we like trying out different cycles we buy them used.* Often we are able to sell them for the same price as we bought them.

All part of the ER and preER budget.*
According to Peter Egan, five motorcycles is the optimum number.

I agree
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #27

Oh, great, it's temperature sensitive, so no problems with hot tires...

Maybe I shouldn't believe everything I read on the label, but it does say "no hot tire pick-up". It's really just temperature sensitive when you first mix it and apply it. The warmer it is, the quicker it cures and the less time you have to put it down. I think they call it "pot life".

I think when it has a chance to cure more slowly, it sets up better and will ensure a longer life. In the instructions it tells you what do do and how much "pot life" you have, depending on temperature. But the highest it lists is 81-85 degrees. Well, lately it's been like 85 degrees or close to it when I wake up in the morning, so I figure I'll just wait for a cooler day!

Poly urea? Doesn't Hank Hill have a narrow one of those?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 9 year old vehicle that I plan to keep until it falls apart. I drive to work and back, but am very strict on not driving it during lunch hour. I also insist upon using the company vehicles to go anywhere job-related.

When I RE, I'm thinking of getting a 125 cc scooter or motorcycle. Here in Kalifornia, you can ride those just about any day of the year.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Dallas-Fort Worth area public transit has come a long way in the past 10 to 15 years. I can actually catch a train and get 40-60 miles to the other side of the metroplex. It would take a couple of hours, though, and I haven't checked out how bus service is. I checked out of curiosity since the trains were pretty new before I moved away and have expanced between then and my recent moveback.

In another 10 years we may be where BART was 20 years ago!

It may be feasible to get around DFW without a car, but I wouldn't want to try it unless I lived close into one of the downtown areas. Then the price difference would probably offset the advantage of ditching a car.

Texas wasn't built with public transit in mind.
I used the Trinity Railway Express, FW to American Airlines Center, to see the Globetrotters.* Not bad; about 1/2 hour or so after the event, they run a (1) train back.* It was nice to read the paper, ala when traveling in Europe.* But you are correct; Texas does not cotton much to public transport.* I've also rode my bike on short trips.* Other than early Sunday a.m., biking on public highways is a life-threatening trip.* If you lived in a downtown condo, you might do without a car, but you'd still need one to go grocery shopping.* Or maybe not; just keep eat out all the time.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #30

This is kinda sad, but the youngest vehicle in my fleet, a 2000 Dodge Intrepid, is also one of the highest-mileage, at 120,000 miles, while the oldest, a 1957 DeSoto Firedome, is one of the lowest-mileage, at around 59-60,000 miles (just an estimate, odometer is broken). The next youngest, a 1985 Silverado, is around 119,000 miles. I also have a '68 Dart 270 with 338,000 miles, but quit counting it because it stopped running.

I'm going to have to break down and buy something eventually, I'm sure. I'd imagine though, that it would be a lot cheaper to get that Dart running again than it would be to buy a brand-new car!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
...I'm going to have to break down and buy something eventually, I'm sure.* I'd imagine though, that it would be a lot cheaper to get that Dart running again than it would be to buy a brand-new car!
I hear ya... I could put a new motor and trans in our Bonneville and still be ahead of a new car (even a lot of used ones).* They are so expensive.* But that doesn't stop me from lusting after certain new models...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh - car lust, an problem with me also.

I try to stay focused on the fact my 1994 GMC Sonoma(with rusty fender) only has 247,100 miles and still runs.

If I had a garage - I'd be in deep doo do - the car lust would win.

Before Katrina - 1978 Ford Ranger 4 wheel drive, 1994 Geo Storm, 1994 GMC Sonoma, and 1999 Silverado - no garage in LA either.

Now a street legal - retro 32 Ford hot rod??

One has to keep a grip.

heh heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Watch eBay for no reserve auto / truck auctions. Some real beaters, but ... running, and amazingly cheap. Just don't depend on them for the long trips.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote