Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ditched our AAA membership yesterday
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ditched our AAA membership yesterday

Finally convinced DW that we don't need premium AAA membership ($140 annually for two of us).
Starting today emergency road assistance (the biggest reason she wanted to keep it) will be provided by our car insurer (State Farm) at the cost of $12.20 annually for our two vehicles.
We never used any other AAA benefits (like AAA hotel rates), as I could typically score better deals online.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Works well for you, sounds like. We still have the big RV to keep on the plan, so it is easier for us to use the RV Plus. And we drive POS cars. But every summer I chafe when the renewal comes. Let us know how State Farm compares if/when you need the roadside.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

What a hoot....

I click to read this thread and a AAA ad is at the top...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Finally convinced DW that we don't need premium AAA membership ($140 annually for two of us).
Starting today emergency road assistance (the biggest reason she wanted to keep it) will be provided by our car insurer (State Farm) at the cost of $12.20 annually for our two vehicles.
We never used any other AAA benefits (like AAA hotel rates), as I could typically score better deals online.
$12.20 for two vehicles per year is a GREAT price and to me seems too good to be true. I would guess that is less than the cost of offering the service. The skeptic in me says the service is either not comparable to AAA or it's is being paid through higher premiums.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
$12.20 for two vehicles per year is a GREAT price and to me seems too good to be true. I would guess that is less than the cost of offering the service. The skeptic in me says the service is either not comparable to AAA or it's is being paid through higher premiums.
From what I've seen in the reviews, it's comparable to Plus level AAA membership (AAA middle tier).
I just think AAA charges a lot, especially for junk I don't need
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #6

Agreed. We pay $12 a year for each of our two vehicles with USAA.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I self insure in this regard, however I have seen the roadside assistance priced on auto insurance and it is usually way more competitive price wise vs. AAA rates. $12/yr seems about right.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This stuff through insurance is a good deal. And if you use it occasionally, it has no effect on rates, etc.

However, if you use it a lot, like 3 times in a short period, your whole policy could get cancelled. My co-w*rker's daughter was having car trouble and used the towing service 3 times in -- I think -- 2 months and was summarily cancelled.

Man was he hot. I never found out if he got it reinstated. Sounded to me like typical dumb computer stuff "if 3 = claims then call CANCEL" kind of thing.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #9

I guess you need to always be shopping. I switched from State Farm to AAA about 5 years ago because AAA was considerably less expensive even with the membership. I hadn't shopped again since the premiums went up very little since then.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

you better check to see if your insurance company sponsored road side assistance is reporting any calls you make to CLUE.

many are and that appears as a blemish as far as other insurance

companies go if your shopping around.

using the lockout service or having a battery boost can portray you as

driving an ill maintained car or not responsible as a person for locking your keys in the car.

you are entitled to one free clue report a year. check yours and see whats on it.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I sign up for AAA every 3-4 years and order all of their paper maps for free home delivery.
aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you better check to see if your insurance company sponsored road side assistance is reporting any calls you make to CLUE.

many are and that appears as a blemish as far as other insurance

companies go if your shopping around.

using the lockout service or having a battery boost can portray you as

driving an ill maintained car or not responsible as a person for locking your keys in the car.

you are entitled to one free clue report a year. check yours and see whats on it.

How do you check a CLUE report
Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
How do you check a CLUE report
According to this web site you can order a report free of charge: C.L.U.E.® Report
Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

very important to check your report.

every claim regardless of fault is up there and while your own insurance company didnt raise you if you go elsewhere they very well may as a claim is a claim in clue.

consumers magazine had a story about these insurance company road side assistance plans that report each time you use them as a claim.

if i remember correctly i believe geico was one of them but double check by asking a supervisor.

yes the report is free .
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

One other thing about clue. Properties can be flagged as well not just the owners.

As an example a prior owner puts in a flood claim or burglary claim and that property can be flagged as a risk.

You buy a home and go try to get insurance and you find out you either cant or the premium is very high .

The risk follows the property many times so its a good idea to get a rate before going to contract.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Thanks, mathjak.

This is the first I'd ever heard of CLUE. I checked that site and my records appear to be in order.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
According to this web site you can order a report free of charge: C.L.U.E.® Report
Thanks!!

Just checked and they did not have the accident where someone hit my parked car. Good.

But, they had a 'possible' that was my mother's accident!!!

It is amazing how much info is out there on you...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It is amazing how much info is out there on you...
That's nuthin'. You probably haven't noticed the drone circling your house.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Yep, you really don't want to ever use your insurance for anything non serious, or buy stuff from them that you'll probably need to use. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for roadside assistance from someone else and not get my insurance rates jacked up because I called for a locksmith or a tow more often than typical.

I applied for a higher tier insurance plan once for home and cars and an umbrella. They asked me about a water leak in my house from 8 years prior (refrigerator installer didn't tighten the icemaker line enough) and what my relationship was with my ex girlfriends ex husband from ~12 years prior. Turns out that he got into some insurance fraud. Never even met the guy.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
Administrator

Every year I wondered about retaining AAA but kept writing the check. Assorted discounts at restaurants and hotels probably offset the cost but a few years ago the membership paid for itself in spades.

We went camping in the middle of nowhere - several hours drive from civilization and managed to lock both sets of keys in our truck (yes, we know better, yes, it was very stupid, yes we could have broken the window...) After hiking to the top of a mountain to find cell service to call AAA, they came out and solved our issue. The guy they sent had a 3 hour drive each way. It took him 90 seconds to break into the truck

Money well spent imo.