Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do you get "paid" to live in high cost of living areas?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While it is true that you do get higher salaries in higher COL areas, I think it is likely that will become less true over time. In the Silicon Valley we are already seeing the programming jobs drying up as better electronic connections allow the work to be done in other cities or even over in India where they can hire 4 (used to be 5-6) Indians for the price of one SiliValley engineer.

On the other hand it seems like the very top "movers and shakers" will always live in the more desirable areas partially because they can work in person with other top people and also just because they like the area more. So like everything else I see things stratifying more over time. The desirable areas will probably pay the top people more while the medium-skilled workers get paid closer to national averages. The lower skilled service workers (e.g. restaurant employees) will have to be paid more in the desirable areas just to be able to afford to live nearby, but probably not enough to get ahead.

free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

NYC Employers definitely need to pay more than other places to account for the cost of living and competitive salary environment.

I had a great tactic--i got the job in NY and then decided I didn't want to live in NY and negotiated to work out of Seattle where my cost of living was much less but I kept my NYC salary.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal

Grumpy, you forgot to mention that DC has the highest concentration of single, educated women. I never get tired of visiting my buddy's apartment in DC because the building's roof always has a few hotties sunbathing topless, and you get to run into them later at the building's business center or while taking the elevator. There are also plenty of babes scoping out guys at the Smithsonian. None of these you'll get living in the boonies.
Well, Buns, having been married 36 years and having reached the age when libido is not what it once was, those advantages just didn't occur to me.

Grumpy
Old 02-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
That depends. Was the robber an educated topless single hottie?
Ah, since when have educated, single, topless hotties need to stick up guys for anything? Hence the threat, "Stop, or I'll blind you with my headlights" has never attained any level of popularity among would be muggers.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been "stuck up" by educated, single, topless hotties on a number of occasions.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I've been "stuck up" by educated, single, topless hotties on a number of occasions.
You mean "stood up"?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Noooooo.....
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

the hotties were transgender
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Do you get "paid" to live in high cost of living areas?
Finanicaly . . . No.

But that's not the only consideration.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #30

Quote:
But do you get "paid" by being in a place with more opportunities to create wealth - whether it be real estate, opportunity to work for some start-up company, high paying jobs? What do you think?
A friend of mine moved to Irvine, CA in 1997. He received a 15% increase, but that was insufficient to compensate the increased cost of housing. However, the house that he bought for $400K then is now valued at $1.4M. He also says that job opportunities are much better there and will never return to Minnesota. He just cannot stand the sub-zero temperature and the long, long winter. He is probably sitting in front of his pool and enjoying the warm sun while we are staying indoor to stay warm.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

For some reason companies continue to locate to CA to find workers which perpetuates this cycle. Nissan may be able to relocate a factory to TN but I don't think they could attract skilled workers there. Maybe people who spend so much time in a city environment for their education don't want to move back for small/medium sized city life. I had hoped Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Charleston, and a few other cities would start to boom but I haven't really seen it yet. However, I have seen three companies relocate to CA in the last year.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #32

Companies are net relocating staff out of California (this can still be true even though companies are growing within the state). So are people -- California has had net negative domestic migration for many years -- all of the net new migration is people who are from other countries. If memory serves, California gets 1 in 3 USA immigrants whereas it is only 1/9 the USA population.

This is slowly changing the voting pool here. We have large Democratic majorities in the legislature and only have one statewide Republican official and he now governs left of center due to recent setbacks -- Arnie's election was sort of a fluke via a recall election you might have heard about. When you consider that the voting population represents California demographics about 10 years in the past because it takes folks time to become citizens and vote, then the future is predictable.

These changes have led to an environment of high taxes and many regulations that are not conducive to business and have also led to shortages of housing.

I work for one of the 5 biggest tech companies in Silicon Valley. We are moving from less than 10% third world engineers to over 50% in a period of less than 5 years (we are in 4th year now). This has been in a number of company press releases with exact numbers -- something we didn't really understand, why they were publicizing it, but to their credit they have. I think this is an excellent move by the company overall. From time to time, my company also has "California" hiring freezes in certain groups.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote