Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I was 44 I was happily working my last job at the "micro-corp", making good dough, stacking the 401, driving a company car and eating well. Paying off the house, making other investments, setting up my first home theater and having fun.

Nope, no daydreaming re retirement, not even thinking about it. Preparing yes, dreaming no.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I don't have much time left- a year and a half maybe- but when I am having a rotten day, I daydream about the astonished look on my boss's face (I am 44) when I tell him I am retiring. Anybody else do this?

I think the material point is you are getting close to pulling the plug and it is therefore natural to day dream about no longer having to answer to another master. Sometimes day dreaming about reaching a goal is almost as much fun as reaching the goal. Sort of like day dreaming about a trip you are planning before you take the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #23

You need to wake up to the reality that nobody cares. Harsh yes. But realize you are on your own time and make your own path. Freedom is great!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #24

Well, I used to but about 6 months ago I came to an epiphany. I no longer daydream about retirement. The way I came to this was, (best Lewis Black voice), I F**KING RETIRED!!!!!!

no more daydreaming.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #25

I'm daydreaming of and mildly dreading the chorus of "but you're too young to retire!" and "what will you do all day?" that I expect to hear. Then again, I don't really care if they just don't get it. Let them keep contributing to the SS trust fund for the rest of us.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #26
gone traveling

Yeah, I daydream everyday but not about my peers' reactions, more like 'can I really do it?'. Then I read pundits saying that we must save more, more, and even more, and I then I wake up thinking 'it's probably not for me', not yet
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

I will admit to daydreaming about quitting from time to time, especially when work is particularly stressful or I'm feeling underappreciated. Like some others here, I also pull out the calculators sometimes to see how much faster I can get "there" (FIRE). In the end, my rational side knows that this place will not implode when I go, I'm totally replaceable, there will be no shock and awe when I leave, and I don't want to spend these great years wishing my life away. Even so, sometimes I do daydream about the moment when...
thebeachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I'm daydreaming of and mildly dreading the chorus of "but you're too young to retire!" and "what will you do all day?" that I expect to hear. Then again, I don't really care if they just don't get it. Let them keep contributing to the SS trust fund for the rest of us.

I plan to leave after completing a difficult project and say "I've decided to take a sabbatical and figure out what's next". What I know is that it happens to be the kind of sabbatical that has no end.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do daydream, but not about how others will react.I daydream more about what I would be doing instead of work.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

As of last year I am finally eligible to retire but decided to work another two years for the extra money. I've been on some PITA projects lately that have involved lots of early morning meetings and long work days, travel almost every week, unrealistic deadlines, etc. It makes the days go faster but causes me to think how nice it would be to give notice now so I can avoid all the agony; especially when getting ready for those early morning meetings or packing for the next trip. And every few weeks when I'm sitting at my desk stressed, I'll take a minute to recalculate my retirement income for the upteenth time. It gives me great pleasure to look at the numbers but I'm always disappointed that I did not find some mistake in my favor that would convince me to retire tomorrow.

-
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #31

I reached my FI goal this year, but for various reasons will probably work about 2 more years. Sometimes I think about the line I'll use to open a retirement discussion with my manager, and how good it'll feel to finally say it. And it is nice to think, "I'm FI and am just building on that number now". But I don't let myself dream too far out in case things change, and anyways my job isn't too stressful or much of a PITA.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote