Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ive actually moved some out of fixed and bought some more funds. Ill admit my mistakes. Who knows maybe down the road it will have been the right thing to do

Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I move a few percent from cash to equity a couple of weeks ago. Of course now I'm more cash heavy than I was before I made the move, percentage wise.

Holding tight for now, plenty of cash to get through a fairly long Bear if I have to before I need to sell. Just need to decide if/when to move more cash into equity.

Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
My portfolio has lost $60k from earlier this year - but I'm continuing to dollar-cost-avg into my TSP, Roth IRA - maximizing both. I'm optimistic that in 10-20 yrs, we'll look back at 2008 the same way we look at 1987.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
I dollar cost averaged through the tech crash and it paid off well then. Now that I'm enjoying ER I have to decide how much of the cash reserve to dump into the game versus keeping my head under the covers.

Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado
Don't pay any attention to Suze Orman, or anyone on tv that talks stocks or finance.

She's like....Billy Mays with the handy switch! Honestly is there much difference between the two?

You're suppose to buy low, sell high. But for my own account and own money, I'm not in stocks or any index like the S&P.

-Huge bull market in the 80's and 90's. The biggest bull market in history. Stocks went up more than they should. Historically it takes a long time to work off excesses like that. This may be "a" bottom, but not sure if it's "the" bottom.

-Higher commodities, higher inflation in the future. Historically, not good for stocks. If bonds drop in price (increasing in yield), that can't be good for stocks.

-A lot of fraud and sham accounting, shenanigans in the late 90's mania. Options expense. Pension expense.

-Valuations could swing in the extreme opposite. Everyone said, xyz can't go any higher. At 40, 50, 60 times earnings in the late 90's.

Could be possible that valuations swing in the other extreme. Down to single digits, but no one wants to touch them. We haven't seen that yet.

-FED's out of control printing money. The fed's balance sheet, the US government's balance sheet have been horribly damaged. Adding trillions of dollars in debt. Has that ever been good for stocks?

The market has already discounted alot, but these moves should be telling you something.

And the international changes...china, india, asia..I dont know.

It could be a long trading range, post 2000, of 15 or 20 years. But have to make your own decisions.

John23 is offline   Reply With Quote