Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

If you look at the associated forum on that site, there is a two-message thread (OP and responder are one and the same) along the lines of:

"How much to I need to save for retirement?"

"You need to save $3mm to $4mm for retirement."

End of thread. I think I'm done serving as an alpha tester for this project.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Most of the caculators will not let you enter in SS before your 62nd birthday .I 'm a widow so I got SS at 60 and then I am transfering to my SS at 66 so in order to get proper calculations I have to put in SS as if it's a pension and then put in the additonal amount ( the difference of the SS widow benefit and my benefit ) as SS payout at 66.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
While I agree this calculator has many, many opportunities for improvement, I would disagree with your statement above. Although you may choose not to increase your withdrawal % for inflation each year, the 4% withdrawal rate does incorporate an annual inflation adjustment. See this thread in the "Best of..." area for more: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ate-19234.html
Yes, there are dangers of not increase a little with inflation. However, even FIRECalc states that there's a 95% chance on withdrawal of $74,500k/yr with only $1,875,000 in retirement funds, which is just slightly less than 4% withdrawal rate. According to that calculator, it thinks to have a withdrawal of $75,000/yr, one would need $13M in retirement.
Granted, if one had that much, I would say there's a 100% chance (or better), that one could increase their spending by inflation every single year.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

omi, all these numbers being thrown around, slightly hard to follow being a newbie and all. does the calculator assume you have the same income each year?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Again - we appreciate all the feedback.
I still think that there is merit to showing that 75K today is 207K in 2042 as inflation awareness is too low with baby-boomers.

As stated - the idea was to start simple.

I view the Fire-calc to be a superior calculator for a serious retiree but too complex for first time users.

I value to concept of creating a plan - "what is my gap and how can I close it".
junopens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #26
Administrator

Among other things --

No ability to input additional contributions prior to retirement

Starts Social Security immediately upon retirement, even though not eligible

No way to account for pension income in retirement

Uses a fixed portfolio return -- much too simplistic

I'll stick with Firecalc thanks.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It seems to have a problem. I tell it I have $3M. It doesn't believe me.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Moi/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Calc-res.pdf (18.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

You are right. The problem is not the amount. The problem is that the calculator has a bug when the input is for a person in retirement (it was optimized for planning, before retirement).
We will fix it and will let you know the new version.
Thanks for trying it.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frankly, you're wasting you time. The world doesn't need another one of these: DATAQUEST
Old 02-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

My main gripe with the calculator is that it doesn't factor in contributions investments leading up to retirement. It also appears to overstate the amount needed in retirement, but I didn't investigate it fully.

musings on personal finance
hellodeli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Frankly, you're wasting you time. The world doesn't need another one of these: DATAQUEST
I actually disagree. As a software guy myself, even though it may be frustrating for you guys, this is an invaluable learning experience for the OP. Yes, he is revinventing the wheel, but he is putting a product out, people are finding errors and offering suggestions. Presumably he is going to go back to the drawing board and make his calculator even better.

Next time he will hopefully come up with a better development plan so he doesn't have to bring bad software to the users, but, hey, he's learning.

Keep working OP. You'll get it if you listen to the feedback.
putty is offline   Reply With Quote