Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is a lesson I learned during the great power outage of July 2003, when I was stuck in my office in NYC with no cash and no way to get any. Credit cards didn't work either. Since that time, we have always kept several hundred dollars in cash at home - mostly twenties, but some smaller stuff too (on the theory that no one will have change)
When a hurricane enters the Gulf of Mexico or develops there, I always get about $600 in cash and fill my vehicle with gas as part of my preparations.

I *should* keep a couple of thousand in cash around the house at all times in case of unexpected massive power outages such as the one you experienced, but don't. Maybe I'll start doing that this year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

We have about 12 months of living expenses in a separate savings account. Like many here, my only real emergency would be a job loss. Furnace going out or a major car repair really wouldn't hurt too much.

I think the amount you have in an emergency fund has a lot to do with how long it would take you to find a new job should you unexpectedly lose your job. Some people can find a new job within a month, some of us may take 6-12 months.
CorporateSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

When a hurricane enters the Gulf of Mexico or develops there, I always get about $600 in cash and fill my vehicle with gas as part of my preparations.

I *should* keep a couple of thousand in cash around the house at all times in case of unexpected massive power outages such as the one you experienced, but don't. Maybe I'll start doing that this year.
Just dont hide it in the freezer or under your bed. I just read an article yesterday that was the 2 most popular places, so I imagine the thieves know this, too!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just dont hide it in the freezer or under your bed. I just read an article yesterday that was the 2 most popular places, so I imagine the thieves know this, too!
Good idea - - I'll figure out a different place to put it. I'm more worried about the situation if one is home during the break-in. One reads stories of thieves holding homeowners at gunpoint, demanding money, and when the homeowner doesn't come up with more than a couple of dollars, shooting them dead. So maybe it would be a good idea to have some around, to give them so that they would go away.

Obviously I don't know what I am talking about - - haven't had anybody uninvited inside my home here, ever (thank goodness, knock on wood and all that). But my imagination works overtime with these scenarios.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When Rita was several days from us in the Gulf (we lived in Houston at the time), I got some canned food and several gallons of bottled water before anyone else started preparing. And by Wednesday night when the forecast was "category 5 right through Galveston", it was pretty much too late to make an emergency supply run. (As it turned out we packed the car with "portable" valuables, irreplaceable keepsakes and our two cats -- if it was replaceable and insured we left it behind -- and holed up with some friends in Austin. We used side roads, not the Interstates, so it took less than 5 hours when many others were stranded on the highways for many hours.)

If nothing else, in retrospect it served a valuable purpose in terms of reminding us what was really important to us -- the stuff we loaded into the car when we fled. And nothing else was really all that important.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Good idea - - I'll figure out a different place to put it. I'm more worried about the situation if one is home during the break-in. One reads stories of thieves holding homeowners at gunpoint, demanding money, and when the homeowner doesn't come up with more than a couple of dollars, shooting them dead. So maybe it would be a good idea to have some around, to give them so that they would go away.

Obviously I don't know what I am talking about - - haven't had anybody uninvited inside my home here, ever (thank goodness, knock on wood and all that). But my imagination works overtime with these scenarios.
Ive got money and I have it hide downstairs and it wont be near me if they break in. But unfortunately for them my loaded 9 mm is a foot away from me on my nightstand. Considering the area I live in though, I am more likely to die by a tornado than an armed intrusion. And of course if they break in when Im gone, the money wont be found but I guarantee you the gun will be stolen!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When Rita was several days from us in the Gulf (we lived in Houston at the time), I got some canned food and several gallons of bottled water before anyone else started preparing. And by Wednesday night when the forecast was "category 5 right through Galveston", it was pretty much too late to make an emergency supply run. (As it turned out we packed the car with "portable" valuables, irreplaceable keepsakes and our two cats -- if it was replaceable and insured we left it behind -- and holed up with some friends in Austin. We used side roads, not the Interstates, so it took less than 5 hours when many others were stranded on the highways for many hours.)
I can't imagine how dreadful it must be to be stranded on highways for hours with a hurricane headed right at one. I have never had to slow below 55 on the interstate when evacuating. But then, I always leave between 2:30-3:30 AM to avoid that problem - - - most people here don't think of trying that. Contraflow is spooky, but helps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy29
If nothing else, in retrospect it served a valuable purpose in terms of reminding us what was really important to us -- the stuff we loaded into the car when we fled. And nothing else was really all that important.
Yes, my hurricane list is now "battle tested" and a lot better than it was during prior evacuations. I was really surprised to find out what I missed and needed the most, of the things I didn't take during that evacuation. Who would have thought that a favorite comforter and pillow, or favorite artwork, or out of print book written by a dead friend would matter so much when you don't know if you have lost everything back home or not.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #88
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have 5 months emergency fund, in a money market. Working on a year. That suits my comfort level and having already experienced a job loss several years ago (had 3months $$ for expenses plus a tax return to get me thru), I would like to be prepared to take a year - a few months to just transition and explore options, without the stress and hurry to gain new employment.

Once I have a years worth, I would only keep 6mths in a money market and look for some other investment for the rest. And continue to feed that investment.
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned vacation/personal leave used for part of your emergency fund. Currently I have enough leave banked to last 5-7 months should I lose my job. We also have enough liquid funds to last another 3-4 months and unemployment should be enough to get us through a year and some months. I'm within two years of retirement so it's unlikely I'll get another job. The only hang-up is I'll take a tax withholding hit on the leave, which may cause a cash flow problem depending on when they occur.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned vacation/personal leave used for part of your emergency fund. Currently I have enough leave banked to last 5-7 months should I lose my job. We also have enough liquid funds to last another 3-4 months and unemployment should be enough to get us through a year and some months. I'm within two years of retirement so it's unlikely I'll get another job. The only hang-up is I'll take a tax withholding hit on the leave, which may cause a cash flow problem depending on when they occur.
Like a few other posters have mentioned, I have a decent wad of I-bonds from 2000/2001 with a hefty real rate that I count for my "e-fund". Of course, I list those in my balance sheet as an investment as opposed to an e-fund (since I doubt I'll ever really need them), but they'll work just fine if I need them. Only problem is what I do when they mature in another 19 years...although I'll be 54 then, and if I'm not retired by then, something really didn't go according to plan.

However, reading the other posts about hurricane/other emergency preparedness has me thinking about having a very small cash allocation tucked away somewhere. My only thing is, I like being 99.9999% invested at all times, and don't like the thought of any cash (even a few hundred or a thousand) just sitting there, being eaten away by the inflation moths. Perhaps it's a knee-jerk reaction to what my grandparents did - 40k in cash sitting in a safe deposit box for 30 years to "help pay for inheritance taxes". I cringe every time I think about that wad invested in just savings bonds all that time, although I'm sure it gave them a peace of mind, since my grandfather had strong memories of losing all of his job earnings in a bank closure in 1929 when he was less than 10 years old.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck
I'm surprised no one has mentioned vacation/personal leave used for part of your emergency fund. Currently I have enough leave banked to last 5-7 months should I lose my job.
At many - perhaps most? - jobs, one's annual vacation entitlement is on a 'use it or lose it' basis. You are fortunate to have a more generous employer, but banking unused time as insurance against unemployment or similar contingencies may not be an option for others.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
At many - perhaps most? - jobs, one's annual vacation entitlement is on a 'use it or lose it' basis. You are fortunate to have a more generous employer, but banking unused time as insurance against unemployment or similar contingencies may not be an option for others.
Depends on the state. CA requires that employers allow employees roll over 1.5 x their annual allotment. So for my megacorp - they have a use-it-or-lose it for everyone else - but CA employees are protected by CA law.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
]What you should have when your working and what you should have once retired are typically very different, one shouldn't compare with the other.[/b]
Midpack, I THINK I know what you mean, but could you clarify, for my itty-bitty brain?
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote