Join Early Retirement Today

Emerging Markets v.s. Global Value
Old 08-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Emerging Markets v.s. Global Value

I've been wanting to get more exposure to both areas but an not sure if they're pretty much the same. It looks like there may be some overlap, but I figured I ask the pros. I'm wanting to get Emerging Market exposure and not sure it Global Value will fill in the gaps for greater exposure.

(VEIEX) Vanguard Emerging Markets
(PGVFX) Polaris Global Value

I think I'm looking at something wrong, but I'm not sure exactly what. Thanks guys.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Emerging Markets v.s. Global Value
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you already have non-US equity or fixed income exposure? How much (percentage)?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just aside from Brewer's question and ass-u-m-ing you that is your Intl' exposure, I don't think there is anything wrong with holding a Global Value + Emerging Markets Fund.* May have some overlap but I seriously doubt the majority of Polaris's funds are in emerging markets, i.e. probably mostly in developed countries.* Ahh see below.

Top 5 countries
United States 41.8%
United Kingdom 11.4%
France 6.0%
Finland 5.9%
Japan 5.8%

Edit - Although I would rather be 100% Intl' Value instead of 51% via Global.* Just my opinion but do what you are comfortable with.* Nothing wrong with global type funds but it seems to cause more of a spill over into other allocations (makes it less clear what your actual allocation is) + may lose some of the dollar hedge for diversification purposes.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #4

Charlotte,

Without actually looking up Polaris Global Value, i'm going to assume that the international portion of the global is likely in developed countries like Japan and Europe.* *Usually, "emerging market" funds or funds that invest in emerging markets will specifically identify themselves in some form or another in the name of the fund.* * Other than just stating their emerging market, they may say something like American Century's International "Discovery" - which invests in both developed and developing countries.

The other point i want to make is emerging markets can be invested in either "value" or "growth" type stocks and either large or small caps and this will vary from fund to fund.* *For a fund to be emerging market, the only contingency is that the money is invested in developing coutries.* *As an example, USAA's Emerging market fund specifically buys mostly mid and large cap value stocks.

I'm crying a little that i dont actually own USAA Emerging Market now. Oh well, i did pick a utility fund about 1 1/2 years ago and dumped a bunch of money into it =p.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #5

If you are just starting your international exposure, I'd buy two funds.
Fidelity International Index--Low low fees and covers entire market
(FSIIX)
Vanguard Emerging Index-- As an index spreads your risk. Decent fees. (VEIEX)
You can get fancy later as needed.
The above are the core of my international portfolio and my dalmation is very proud of me
Old 09-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
If you are just starting your international exposure, I'd buy two funds.
Fidelity International Index--Low low fees and covers entire market
(FSIIX)
Vanguard Emerging Index-- As an index spreads your risk. Decent fees. (VEIEX)
You can get fancy later as needed.
The above are the core of my international portfolio and my dalmation is very proud of me
I looked at FSIIX and it looks like they do not cover the entire international market. It seems they omit emerging markets. The Vanguard Total int'l index fund has emerging markets in it already. You can add the VEIEX if you want to overweight emerging markets.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 25% of my stock portfolio in VG Tax Managed International. Should I add the Emerging Mkts and if so how do I determine the appropriate percentage.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I looked at FSIIX and it looks like they do not cover the entire international market.* It seems they omit emerging markets.* The Vanguard Total int'l index fund has emerging markets in it already.* You can add the VEIEX if you want to overweight emerging markets.*
Whichever way floats your boat.* I like to keep volatile sectors all by themselves so I can keep a closer eye on them.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #9

My international investment is about 20% of my total portfolio,

40%* TEMFX (Foreign)
40%* TEMIX (European)
20%* TEDMX (Developing)

This was an old Simple IRA which I didn't roll over when the new plan was started.*

Expense ratio of over 2% on the Developing Markets sort of frosts me, but I haven't done enough research to make a change.*

Any opinions on this mix and or allocation?

Old 09-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #10

I think you are getting overlap on the Euro and foreign. Probably have a lot of the same stocks so you are paying 2x for the same exposure. And yeah I would get outta of the high exp funds.