Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Engineering Career
Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I work in a highly sought after field, clinical engineering and frankly get paid about average. However, I am an expert enough in my field and efficient enough that I am fairly autonomous. That means I work the hours I want to most of the time.
Field clinical engineering is nice. You do not have to sit at the desk and stir at the computer monitor all day. I guess it's better than sitting inside a conference room and listen to complaints or issues.

Quote:
(making up for lost time perhaps?)
Yip - it's time to have fun since FIRE is near.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think engineering is a great career. And it pays incredibly well. In Silicon Valley engineers are making what GP physicians make in much of the country.

OK, I am tired of engineering for now after doing it for over a decade, but I think that is my problem and not a problem with the field itself.

I have given talks to engineering students about engineering careers. One thing that I explain is that many or most people with engineering degrees are not currently engineers. It is a good background for a variety of fields like technical sales, marketing, management, etc. However, I also stress that you should not go for an engineering degree if you do not have the aptitude for it.

Kramer

Old 11-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
This is a really, really, really bad practice. Many of the more progressive US private sector employers provide incentive awards, and sometimes royalty, to inventors. I have personally received almost $200,000, and have a friend who has received over a $million. You have every right to be POd about the matter!

Young engineers -- don't put up with this!!!!
For my last 3 stints at megacorps, first day on the job I have signed releases giving away any rights to products or patents developed while on the company time or using company resources.

Not a big deal in my work but others may want to look back at employment agreements before going above and beyond in developing products for companies with such agreements in place.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarzoms
For my last 3 stints at megacorps, first day on the job I have signed releases giving away any rights to products or patents developed while on the company time or using company resources.

Not a big deal in my work but others may want to look back at employment agreements before going above and beyond in developing products for companies with such agreements in place.

It would be highly unusual not to have such an agreement if your job could result in you coming up with something that could be patented. Even when I do employment agreements for physicians I put in that kind of provision.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

The agreement is indeed commonplace among employers. What varies is what you get in return. Could be nothing, could be "awards", could be royalties.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A wise old friend once told me that engineering is the most fun a man can have--if he can afford it!

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote