Join Early Retirement Today

ER and Career Planning
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ER and Career Planning

I'm finding that as I develop and fine tune my ER plan that my career goals are becoming more subordinate.

I make a decent salary and expect it to increase within the next couple of years. *At that point, I think I'd be prepared to put my career on autopilot. *

Is this too conservative of an approach or have others had similar thoughts? *

TD
Tommy_Dolitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ER and Career Planning
Old 03-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

TD,

How many years till your planned to ER?

An extended period of a drone-like attitude might be hard on the self esteem. In my experience it's better to stay engaged in the process as much as possible..time sems to drag less that way as well.
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You certainly don't want to be a mindless drone. You've got to be there for 8 or so hours 5 days a week so hopefully keep it as interesting as possible. That's not always possible as there are sometimes conflicting needs. You don't want to swing too much the other way and become the hard driving career person with no time for family, friends, and outside interests. Most of us are here wanting to FIRE (or already did so) because we want to spend more time with those aspects of life so shutting them off for the years leading to FIRE is not a good option. It's a balance and you've got to find the right point for yourself.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Good points.

I plan to be done in about 11 years.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #5

I think it's likely a big mistake not to try to drive your career while you're working. *The key to retiring is to LBYM. *The more you are able to reduce your spending relative to your earning, the quicker you get there. *Remember there are two important parts of LBYM: 1) maximizing your means and 2) living frugaly relative to those means. *If you can remain engaged and productive at work, you are more likely to get superior raises and promotions which bring you more quickly to FIRE. *
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't get me wrong. I am not stating that I would sacrifice quality. In fact, that is "wired" in me to do good work.

I just see a least resistive path that seemingly "fits" MY plan.

Appreciate the perspectives.....
Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #7

Tommy,

You've had some really good responses. The one thing that I might add is with 11 years to go will there be any chance of a lay off ? If so, you will want to be in control of your career path to the point of keeping your skills marketable.

Best of luck,

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote