Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am going to agree with Kronk and everyone else. I'm only 25 but have determined that I have a good sense of how much a spend and that I budget very well.

I try to make saving automatic, 15% to 401k, automatic monthly withdrawals to Vanguard accounts. I found I was concentrating to much on how much a I was spending each day that it didn't become enjoyable being such a tight wad with money.

So now that it's automatic, the money I need for early retirement never hits my bank account and I can spend my time writing new songs instead of checking my account balances.

I still plan to retire early, but I will adjust my automatic savings according to my goals.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup, agree with the OP. Reading this thread, I guess many of us "young dreamers" go through this stage at some point (probably when we realize we're so far away that it's depressing!).

Better to focus on being happy in the present than postpone it until after retirement. After all, you could do everything "right" in terms of savings, and some catastrophic event could still prevent you from retiring ever. That's one reality slap in the face I'd rather not experience, so may as well practice being happy now. Don't get me wrong; you should still do everything you can (within reason) to save for retirement, just don't invest all of your happiness in it.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I feel the same way as the OP. Finding that balance is unique to each of us, but similar in so many ways.

For me, the biggest thing is an ATTITUDE of GRATITUDE. Instead of grumbling "I HATE this job! I can't wait til I can sit at home and relax all day...." I force myself to say something like "Yeah, this sure sucks. Good thing I HAVE a job though...and a wonderful family, home, and some cool toys"
Old 09-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
For me, the biggest thing is an ATTITUDE of GRATITUDE. Instead of grumbling "I HATE this job! I can't wait til I can sit at home and relax all day...." I force myself to say something like "Yeah, this sure sucks. Good thing I HAVE a job though...and a wonderful family, home, and some cool toys"
Fed - you got it!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #45

+1 for thefed. I try to put a positive spin on my time at the job too. I guess it is what you make of it.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
+1 for thefed. I try to put a positive spin on my time at the job too. I guess it is what you make of it.
i actually got that term from Rev Run....the man writes a good book, believe it or not
Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #47

As retirement portfolios shrink in the current market turmoil, it is understandable that we begin to subconsciously rationalize postponing retirement ("Those grapes are probably sour, anyway").

That said, I agree that it certainly makes sense to seek joy in the present. Gritting one's teeth and grimly holding on for the promised land of ER isn't much of a life.

Quote:
Another big fallacy is the notion that if only something about the circumstances of our lives would change, then we would be happy. This kind of thinking is what I call "I would be happy IF _______" or "I will be happy WHEN _______".... The reality is that the elements that determined our happiness in the past, and can make for future happiness, are with us right now and are right here waiting to be taken advantage of.
Sonja Lyubomirsky, The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want (2007), p.40.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
My favorite black teas: ceylon and earl grey. I don't care much for green teas (too grassy).

Bigelow Ceylon is the best tea on planet earth...
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper9999 View Post
Bigelow Ceylon is the best tea on planet earth...
I actually found a few ceylons that make bigelow seem like childsplay.... at specialteas dot com. its all loose tea though, pm me if you want specifics!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Deferring gratification goes along with saving, but I'm finding that it is stupid to go through a decade with the outlook of "yeah, I'm unhappy now, but when I ER in 10 years I'll be loving life." Start loving life now and let FIRE take care of itself.

Between no longer "racing" to get to ER and just deciding to have a more positive outlook while at work, I'm feeling happier -- so I'm achieving my life's goal.
very good post! it got me thinking...my "race to FIRE" didn't start until 10 years before it actually happened. conditions changed at w*rk and i realized i didn't want to be there anymore. but job possibilities were too tight where i live, so it was either stick it out for the benefits (civil service) or do a complete relocation x 2. "sticking it out" motivated me to do start some investing for retirement, accelerated 5 yrs later by a financial planning consultation with a CFP. that's when the 5 yr plan to FIRE really got adopted.
life was lived and loved as usual, just in more of a mode of saving & investing to a real defined goal. w*rk was more and more intolerable, but having that goal and achieving it made all the difference in the world. a means to an end.
no regrets...i did it MYYYYYYYYYY way.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was thrilled with this forum at first. Then I started to see too many people from the 'ALL work is evil, I can't wait FIRE' camp and I considered dropping off this forum altogether, too negative and too much focus on RE. But now I've found a middle ground here...
Exactly the same issue for me. And let's face it, when the forum is dominated by 20 or so repeat posters (we won't use the word addicts) I simply loose interest.

I wouldn't say it's a middle ground in my case, I just think the downturn has shifted the forum consensus on working.