Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=irenecolorado;905569PS Consider the Western Slope as well as the Front Range. [/QUOTE]

Yss, Grand Junction is in some of the most beautiful country in Colorado and blessed with a climate that produces some of the best fruit in the country.

It would, perhaps, be on the border-line of being large enough to offer a sufficiently large job pool, however.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Whoa. You Coloradans and hope-to-be-Coloradans better quick come up with your top ten (or 100) list of reasons not to move to Colorado a la REWahoo's list to keep people out of Texas, before it's too late:
Yeah, well. We have found that wishes for solitude are not very productive.

Remember:

Bring your money and your dope.
And we all sincerly hope.
That you don't forget to leave here when you are done.

and that we voted not to have the 1976 Olympics here because it would create too much traffic during the games.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fort Collins winters are not bad at all. I biked all through the winter. I wouldn't want to try that on East Coast because of all the crusted ice one the ground.

As for property tax, my first three years were in the $10 to $20/year range. Yes, I said $10 to $20 because the townhouse was built on previously unincorporated land east of Timnath. When the assessor finally caught up with me 3 years later, I had to pay a whopping $600 for a 1600 sq. ft. townhouse.

The scenery, the bike trails, the cycling, the whitewater rafting, and the skiing cannot be beat, and the microbrews rock.

The only thing negative I have say about Fort Collins is that the people can be a bit of the same same, but if you are pretty white bread, you'll fit right in. I'd give Fort Collins another try but only as a temporary base.

For work, I have a friend who is freelance consulting as a stock analyst from his house. I'm sure with your background, you will have no problem picking up this type of work. Worst come to worst, there is Janus in Denver.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

As members of the whitebread tribe, I suspect we will have little difficulty fitting in. I don't even have a noticeable NYC accent, as I talk like Mom does and she grew up in Ohio.

The real estate taxes are shockingly low, at least to me. A very brief review of suitable housing on the web showed that houses that are larger and nicer-lookingthan my modest abode have annual real estate taxes significantly lower than what I pay for one quarter.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Brewer. I'm a Colorado resident of 30 years and have no intention of moving elsewhere in retirement. I concur in all the positive comments that have been posted, but wanted to mention what I think are a few things to keep in mind.

Colorado's population grows rather quickly and virtually all that growth is along the Front Range. I loathe driving I25 anywhere between Pueblo and Ft. Collins -- the traffic is relentless. In my opinion the growth is not particularly well managed and sprawl is a serious problem.

Skiing has become a pain for Front Range residents. During ski season traffic can be bumper to bumper on I70 eastbound Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Skiing during the week is much more tolerable.

Front Range golf course are open, and played, year around. But, when we get snow and cold stretches, courses can be closed for weeks at a time.

The state is politically polarized -- pools of liberality in an overall Western conservative background. Taxes are relatively low, but that comes at some cost in services. I'm in Colorado Springs, and they just turned off the streetlight by my house. One in three streetlights in town is to be turned off to save money. There is a plan afoot to save 19 of 147 city parks by watering. The rest may be let go with loss of grass and perhaps trees.

The transit service here runs a pretty popular bus service between here and Denver. By selling a number of buses they hope to keep this service running the rest of the year, but there's no money after that is gone. Our city historical museum is holding off closing by soliciting donations.

If I were moving to Colorado I'd look seriously at the Western Slope -- Grand Junction or Montrose perhaps. Much lower population density, access to really spectacular natural areas, and a great climate.

Coach
Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #26
gone traveling

I have a really nice residential building lot in Pagosa Springs I'll sell you- half acre, in a gated community with paved roads and in-your-face views of Pagosa Peak and the San Juan National Forest...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Understood about the front range, coach, but I need access to a job market and DW's family is in Denver so being on the other side of the Rockies would be inconvenient. Having watched the space between Denver and Boulder fill in in a poorly managed and at times downright ugly manner in the last 15 years, I agree that growth could stand to be managed better. I keep expecting limited water supplies to be a check on growth, but it never seems to happen. Suspect that by the time it does, the old joke about the water supply will be true:

The bad news is that in XX years we will all be drinking recycled sewage.
The good news is that there won't be enough to go around.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote