Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the OP has acquired a reputation for being "difficult" and is more likely to be let go than to be promoted. Whether he stays or goes, he needs to work on his communication.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another possible observation: your boss is in over their head as a people manager.

It's entirely possible that everyone on your team is being told they're "above average" or whatever the vernacular was at the OPs company. It's all fun to hand out high grades until you come the reality of only so much $$$ and so many raises to go around. The the truth will out.

Then, when you ask about comp/promo, they're in a bind and flip out.

Then they see an out to blame those evil people above them. "I'm on your side, but we're all such victims of the goomba's upstairs." Nice. Slip the noose.

All of the above is easier to do if the OP actually has been a bit too aggressive and created obvious excuses.

A few suggestions for the OP:
1). Do a great job and manage your personal brand. In ANY company promotions are about more than what is in the perf review

2). Sniff out where you were relative to other employees. If everyone is Exceptional then your perf review is useless to you and "higher ups" in assessing anything

3). Give yourself a long hard look in the mirror and recognize that you do, at a certain level, compete with the people on your hallway for advancement. Don't underestimate them or overestimate yourself

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks again for everyone's insight! I do appreciate it.

I have two bosses - one is a "he" and one is a "she"

While all of your posts have been very insightful, it has led me to conclude that everyone has different approaches and "styles" to situations like this in the workplace and that there isn't necessarily a right or a wrong answer, I think it just depends on what the end goal is (earn as much as possible? Experience? Resume builder? Job security? Coast through work? Team compatibility? Wanting/enjoying to work in a specific industry).

Anyway, the saga continues and takes an even more interesting twist.

This week they have announced 3 lay offs. I dont know if there will be more but I suspect there might be.

The bad news is that 3 people lost their jobs and one person was so sad they were crying on their way out. It is a sad thing so I felt bad for them.

Only one lay off was in my department, and was the person I was referencing above ("my predecessor") who is slightly more senior than me with a little bit more responsibility than me.

I was surprised by this. I spoke with him and he said that they didn't do a year end review with him and never had him set his goals and also aren't giving him a year end bonus. On the contrary for me as I did have all of the above and am getting a year end bonus. So i am led to believe that I made the cut but who knows??

I'm still stomaching all of this and will have a better feel for things after a couple months. I do know that my predecessor's job responsibilities will be dispersed amongst the team and, as unfortunate as it is for them to be laid off, I think it is creating opportunity for me and is a favorable thing for me assuming I want to stay at my current company. I will have even more work for 2017 yet with no promotion or pay change.

My plan is to stick through it for a couple months and see how I feel. I foresee two outcomes 1) keeping my head down and giving 110% in taking on the additional responsibilities and have it result favorably for me within the next year or 2) by June be completely fed up with things and jump ship somewhere else.

Time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
younginvestor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
Thanks again for everyone's insight! I do appreciate it.

I have two bosses - one is a "he" and one is a "she"

While all of your posts have been very insightful, it has led me to conclude that everyone has different approaches and "styles" to situations like this in the workplace and that there isn't necessarily a right or a wrong answer, I think it just depends on what the end goal is (earn as much as possible? Experience? Resume builder? Job security? Coast through work? Team compatibility? Wanting/enjoying to work in a specific industry).

Anyway, the saga continues and takes an even more interesting twist.

This week they have announced 3 lay offs. I dont know if there will be more but I suspect there might be.

The bad news is that 3 people lost their jobs and one person was so sad they were crying on their way out. It is a sad thing so I felt bad for them.

Only one lay off was in my department, and was the person I was referencing above ("my predecessor") who is slightly more senior than me with a little bit more responsibility than me.

I was surprised by this. I spoke with him and he said that they didn't do a year end review with him and never had him set his goals and also aren't giving him a year end bonus. On the contrary for me as I did have all of the above and am getting a year end bonus. So i am led to believe that I made the cut but who knows??

I'm still stomaching all of this and will have a better feel for things after a couple months. I do know that my predecessor's job responsibilities will be dispersed amongst the team and, as unfortunate as it is for them to be laid off, I think it is creating opportunity for me and is a favorable thing for me assuming I want to stay at my current company. I will have even more work for 2017 yet with no promotion or pay change.

My plan is to stick through it for a couple months and see how I feel. I foresee two outcomes 1) keeping my head down and giving 110% in taking on the additional responsibilities and have it result favorably for me within the next year or 2) by June be completely fed up with things and jump ship somewhere else.

Time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
My advice would be to start looking elsewhere. Typically, layoffs are a really bad sign about the health of an organization. The fact that they stiffed your predecessor on the way out is not a good sign either.

Don't be the last person off of the sinking ship.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
You're young, so can recover quite well. There are usually significant twists and turns in the business world. One move often leads to another, so work at improving your skills, and things will be ok.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote