Feeling great about 2015

Greencheese

Recycles dryer sheets
I went into 2015 knowing my $60k job would be outsourced in June. As a 25 year old whose parent's were lifers at a megacorp, losing a job was a scary idea for me. I had a few goals at old megacorp prior to the end of my time there, get my $20k severance, finish my MBA on company money, and search for a new and better job. I had several friends go through their first rounds of job losses around this time and sadly many of them wound up taking paycuts in order to find gainful employment again. So in my mind getting a 10% raise seemed like a great and realistic best case alternative.

Applied to several places and had multiple interviews all over Chicago and the suburbs (funny how much easier job searching is once you have work experience!) and finally got it down to 2 offers. While sadly the potential job to escape the broke state of Illinois didn't pan out, the financial best case scenario did occur :D

I wound up landing a job that offered me a 25% raise a higher bonus ratio that increased from my old 6% to a new 8%, lifted my 401k restrictions (previous employer allowed no more than 15% to be contributed towards retirement), and the new office is located on public transportation so I can turn my leased car in at the end of next month and bank another ~$300/month in lease/gas savings net of public transit fare. On top of that my 401k match remains at 9% and the HSA employer contribution holds steady.

I'm now looking at maxing my 401k next year and still taking home more money than ever before so no sacrifices for increasing those savings here :cool:

I also realized that with my new salary of $75k I'm sitting here at 26 and am expecting to end 2015 with ~$86k in retirement savings with a much higher rate of 401k contributions starting in 2016. Life just really seemed to pan out with 2 years of hard work and planning paying off .

Good job and congratulations.

Fantastic! You're way ahead of almost all others your age. When I was 26 I wasn't even thinking about retirement savings.

Congratulations! A great start to savings.

You're at a wonderful time of your life. Hopefully, you have balanced view of the world and aren't fixating on just savings.

Back
Top Bottom