Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What about a house? Are you going to pay cash for one? Hey, more power to ya........
I do currently have a new mortgage but it's <$30K on a $43K condo. I'll pay it off in between 2 and 10 years depending on if I want to prepay or invest extra in the market. After this mortgage is paid off(probably between age 31 and 35), I will not have any other debt the rest of my life. I drive very little so the 5 year old car I have now(30K miles) should last at least another 15. After that i'll pay cash. I don't plan to purchase another home until I retire and i'll pay cash. If I can't afford to pay cash, I can't afford to retire. Although it's possible i'll never buy another home, I can't see myself living in Wisconsin during the winter after i'm retired. I'll probably buy a small condo in Florida for the winters(I consider winter in Wisconsin to be Nov. 1st thru Apr. 30th) Whatever I can afford to pay cash for.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I do currently have a new mortgage but it's <$30K on a $43K condo. I'll pay it off in between 2 and 10 years depending on if I want to prepay or invest extra in the market. After this mortgage is paid off(probably between age 31 and 35), I will not have any other debt the rest of my life. I drive very little so the 5 year old car I have now(30K miles) should last at least another 15. After that i'll pay cash. I don't plan to purchase another home until I retire and i'll pay cash. If I can't afford to pay cash, I can't afford to retire. Although it's possible i'll never buy another home, I can't see myself living in Wisconsin during the winter after i'm retired. I'll probably buy a small condo in Florida for the winters(I consider winter in Wisconsin to be Nov. 1st thru Apr. 30th) Whatever I can afford to pay cash for.
You live in the Sheboygan area, right? I am near Milwaukee...... Maybe we can find enough forum members to have a meeting of the Forumites somewhere.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You live in the Sheboygan area, right? I am near Milwaukee...... Maybe we can find enough forum members to have a meeting of the Forumites somewhere.
I live south of Appleton near Hwy 41.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I live south of Appleton near Hwy 41.
I live in Germantown...........right down the road. martyB just moved to Janesville...........hey, it's a start........

Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I live in Germantown...........right down the road. martyB just moved to Janesville...........hey, it's a start........
Yes, Germanton is also near hwy 41 but it's about 75-80 miles south of me. Maybe on a nice spring or summer weekend I could make a trip down that way.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, Germanton is also near hwy 41 but it's about 75-80 miles south of me. Maybe on a nice spring or summer weekend I could make a trip down that way.
Maybe Lomira..........

Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe Lomira..........
As far as distance, Lomira would be a good compromise but what is there to do there. There's no park, no lake, nothing. I would probably have to come down to the lakeshore on the north end of milwaukee or if MartyB wanted to be involved then Madison would probably be better.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do currently have a new mortgage but it's <$30K on a $43K condo.
A $43k condo? I'm jealous.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
A $43k condo? I'm jealous.
Don't be too jealous. You get what you pay for. Good enough for me though.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, are you married? As young as you are, I wouldn't put paid to anything in your life at this point. You're looking at 40-70 years more of living (hopefully), and the only guarantee is it won't happen the way you expect it to. So keep your FICO powder dry.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you married? As young as you are, I wouldn't put paid to anything in your life at this point. You're looking at 40-70 years more of living (hopefully), and the only guarantee is it won't happen the way you expect it to. So keep your FICO powder dry.
No, i'm not married. Unless I accidently get a women pregnant I won't be getting married or having kids. With my life expectancy i'd say i'm looking at 30-50 more years(hopefully) not 40-70. However, I know "life happens" so I will do what I can to keep my FICO aove 720.