Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If that's all from the FF2030 only, then you could:
- start directing some portion of new contributions to one of the bond income funds, but not the money market
- convert some of the FF2030 to fixed fund
- slice and dice the whole thing, beginning with S&P500, and so on.
Looking backwards, FFFEX lost more than 60% off its high, and that would concern me too. You know, you can pick a more conservative fund, like 2020. Still, that fund had a steep drop, and I'd be worried.
Actually, I was considering going with 60% Spartan 500 Index (FUSEX) and 40% with US Bond Index (FBIDX) from this point on. I have a large chunk of money sitting in the Spartan 500 Index fund from years ago. Plus, the fees between those 2 funds combined are roughly 1/2 of what I'm paying for the Freedom Fund.

Mike

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Actually, I was considering going with 60% Spartan 500 Index (FUSEX) and 40% with US Bond Index (FBIDX) from this point on. I have a large chunk of money sitting in the Spartan 500 Index fund from years ago. Plus, the fees between those 2 funds combined are roughly 1/2 of what I'm paying for the Freedom Fund.

Mike
In your first post you mentioned that you are 100% invested in FF2030. I'm thoroughly confused.

To present your investments, try putting everything into M* portfolio for an analysis. Most would recommend that, rather than presenting parts here and there. This is a summary from a homegrown worksheet that summarizes everything.

10% VGTSX Frgn Lg Blend
03% VTRIX Frgn Lg Value
08% VIDMX MSCI EAFE
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Int'l Stock: 21%
11% PEOPX S&P 500
07% VTSMX Large Blend
01% VWINX Bal 40% Stock
01% XXXXX Co. Stock
03% VGSIX Specialty R.E.
06% FSLCX Small Blend
09% VEXAX Sm/Mid R2500
02% VISVX Small Value
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . US Stock: 40%
15% VBMFX Int-Term Bd
00% FIBIX Int-Term Bd
05% VNJTX Long-Term Bd
01% VWINX Bal 60% Bond
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IT/LT Bond 22%
17% VWSTX Short Term - TE
00% VWSTX Short Term - TE
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ST Bond 17%

Old 05-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
In your first post you mentioned that you are 100% invested in FF2030. I'm thoroughly confused.

To present your investments, try putting everything into M* portfolio for an analysis. Most would recommend that, rather than presenting parts here and there. This is a summary from a homegrown worksheet that summarizes everything.

10% VGTSX Frgn Lg Blend
03% VTRIX Frgn Lg Value
08% VIDMX MSCI EAFE
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Int'l Stock: 21%
11% PEOPX S&P 500
07% VTSMX Large Blend
01% VWINX Bal 40% Stock
01% XXXXX Co. Stock
03% VGSIX Specialty R.E.
06% FSLCX Small Blend
09% VEXAX Sm/Mid R2500
02% VISVX Small Value
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . US Stock: 40%
15% VBMFX Int-Term Bd
00% FIBIX Int-Term Bd
05% VNJTX Long-Term Bd
01% VWINX Bal 60% Bond
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IT/LT Bond 22%
17% VWSTX Short Term - TE
00% VWSTX Short Term - TE
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ST Bond 17%

I am currently putting 100% into the FF2030. Years ago I had a large percentage going into the Spartan index 500 fund, but I stopped that when the market started to tank.

Mike
Old 05-22-2010, 01:31 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

55% capitalistpig hedge fund
40% SYW hedge fund
5% (maybe bit more) Lone Star Securities oil/gas well partnership in Pennsylvania.

(Life investment)
15% cash with which when I quit my 6 figure tax free (mostly) income next month I will live on it for a couple years in my condo in Costa Rica since I sold the 3 bdrm house in Thailand a couple years ago.
Looking for a party mid 50's and single, last time I had a loan was 1984
to buy a used car so not looking for a hitch up with debt. When I am bored I'll head to USA get in the RV and go pester the kids....