Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity FREEDOM FUND 2030
Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity FREEDOM FUND 2030

Hello,

I just turned 50 (yeah...yeah.....I got my AARP card in the mail last week ) and have been invested 100% in this fund for my 401k. The fund is approx 77% stock. I've been told that this fund may be too risky and that I should diversify to roughly 40% bonds. Just soliciting inputs. Thanks

Mike

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Hello,

I just turned 50 (yeah...yeah.....I got my AARP card in the mail last week ) and have been invested 100% in this fund for my 401k. The fund is approx 77% stock. I've been told that this fund may be too risky and that I should diversify to roughly 40% bonds. Just soliciting inputs. Thanks

Mike
How soon do you plan to retire? In 2030? That's the target of the fund. If so, you have 20 years to go so it may be an appropriate allocation. Some people will use the 100 rule to figure their AA. 100 - age = stock allocation. So a 50/50 allocation would be your AA based on this rule, but many feel this is too conservative. During the last market correction, I found it to be a little aggressive for my liking.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #3

What other sources of retirement income will you have? If you have other sources that can be considered more "bond-like," then this might not be too risky at all.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
How soon do you plan to retire? In 2030? That's the target of the fund. If so, you have 20 years to go so it may be an appropriate allocation. Some people will use the 100 rule to figure their AA. 100 - age = stock allocation. So a 50/50 allocation would be your AA based on this rule, but many feel this is too conservative. During the last market correction, I found it to be a little aggressive for my liking.
Full SS for me is 68 years and some change. I currently have no real plans for retirement. Back when the "financial sh^t hit the fan" I was invested in primarily Index and large cap and took a beating. I kept what I had, didn't panic, and it has made a slow recovery to date. From that point on I put it all into the FREEDOM 2030 fund. A well respected acquaintance has recommended the following for me:

50% freedom 2030
10% Fid Contrafund
10% Fid Low price stk
10% Fid Capital and Income...aggressive bonds
10% Pimco real return
10% Fidelity US bond

I'm just picking people's brains to see what they think. I appreciate your input.

Mike
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
What other sources of retirement income will you have? If you have other sources that can be considered more "bond-like," then this might not be too risky at all.
I have a military pension and a few other investments. Thanks

Mike
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

With a military pension and SS in your future I don't see your choice of the 2030 Fund as overly aggressive.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Depending on the alternatives in your 401k, you might be able to roll your own target retirement fund by combining lower cost alternatives. The expense ratio for your fund is ~.75% (a fair amount of drag).
Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
With a military pension and SS in your future I don't see your choice of the 2030 Fund as overly aggressive.

Thank You.

BTW.......did you just use "SS and future" in the same sentence?

Mike
Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a military pension and a few other investments. Thanks
Then I think this AA is perfectly appropriate.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank You.

BTW.......did you just use "SS and future" in the same sentence?

Mike
Call me optimistic...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Depending on the alternatives in your 401k, you might be able to roll your own target retirement fund by combining lower cost alternatives. The expense ratio for your fund is ~.75% (a fair amount of drag).
Agree - downside of Fido managed funds is larger expense ratios than Vanguard. I use Fido, but rolled my own from their Spartan selection.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Agree - downside of Fido managed funds is larger expense ratios than Vanguard. I use Fido, but rolled my own from their Spartan selection.
True. The folks on this board tend to be far more "hands on" about their self-directed investments than most folks, though. Not everyone has a desire to do their own slice and dice and rebalancing and such, but I suspect control freaks hands-on folks like me would prefer to have the lower expenses since there's no reason to pay someone to do something redundantly when I'm already doing it myself.

The thing about a 401K as opposed to an IRA is that you often have a very limited subset of Fido's funds. (My 401K is with them also, and we have maybe 20-25 funds in total to choose from.) So when you're talking about a 401K, it's really hard to recommend the right mix of funds because you never know which Fidelity funds are part of the plan.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Full SS for me is 68 years and some change. I currently have no real plans for retirement. Back when the "financial sh^t hit the fan" I was invested in primarily Index and large cap and took a beating. I kept what I had, didn't panic, and it has made a slow recovery to date. From that point on I put it all into the FREEDOM 2030 fund. A well respected acquaintance has recommended the following for me:

50% freedom 2030
10% Fid Contrafund
10% Fid Low price stk
10% Fid Capital and Income...aggressive bonds
10% Pimco real return
10% Fidelity US bond

I'm just picking people's brains to see what they think. I appreciate your input.

Mike
With a military pension and SS in your future, the above looks fine to me. Looks like this gives you an overall 60/40 blend or near about.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
True. The folks on this board tend to be far more "hands on" about their self-directed investments than most folks, though. Not everyone has a desire to do their own slice and dice and rebalancing and such, but I suspect control freaks hands-on folks like me would prefer to have the lower expenses since there's no reason to pay someone to do something redundantly when I'm already doing it myself.

The thing about a 401K as opposed to an IRA is that you often have a very limited subset of Fido's funds. (My 401K is with them also, and we have maybe 20-25 funds in total to choose from.) So when you're talking about a 401K, it's really hard to recommend the right mix of funds because you never know which Fidelity funds are part of the plan.
Attached are my choices:

The 5 other funds that were suggested to me...some have lower expenses and some have higher expenses than the 2030 fund.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: gif fido_choices.gif (73.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: gif fido_choices1.gif (26.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

With that selection I might just go with 50% Spartan 500 and 50% US bond Index and rebalance as necessary. (maybe as high as 70%spartan and 30% bond)

The international choices are not good, unless the fees are waived.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My 401(k) is with Fidelity. You could do worse than a Freedom fund, but you may be able to do better. Freedom funds do not have the lowest expense ratios and are stuffed with actively-managed funds that make the big bucks for Fidelity. Our plan as a few Fidelity Spartan Index funds in them: US index (an S&P500 index), Extended market (the US completion index of mid & small cap), the international index. All of these index funds have a better 1-year return than the actively-managed funds that are available in our 401(k).

So you should be able to roll-your-own better asset allocation if you have these Spartan index funds. For bonds, you can use the the Fidelity bond index fund. Or you may have the Fidelity 4-in-1 fund which has the 3 Spartan funds I mentioned and the bond index fund I mentioned. Just add more of a bond fund to get the stock:bond ratio you want. (That PIMCO fund is not the PIMCO Total Return fund found in everyone's non-Vanguard 401(k).)

There is no point in using Contrafund or Low-priced stock fund or any other stock fund if you have the Fidelity Spartan funds ... except you should note that the Spartan international index fund does not have emerging markets nor does it have mid/small cap international stocks. Get EM and small-cap foreign in your Roth.

If you don't have all the Spartan funds, then the Freedom fund is probably OK.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
My 401(k) is with Fidelity. You could do worse than a Freedom fund, but you may be able to do better. Freedom funds do not have the lowest expense ratios and are stuffed with actively-managed funds that make the big bucks for Fidelity. Our plan as a few Fidelity Spartan Index funds in them: US index (an S&P500 index), Extended market (the US completion index of mid & small cap), the international index. All of these index funds have a better 1-year return than the actively-managed funds that are available in our 401(k).

So you should be able to roll-your-own better asset allocation if you have these Spartan index funds. For bonds, you can use the the Fidelity bond index fund. Or you may have the Fidelity 4-in-1 fund which has the 3 Spartan funds I mentioned and the bond index fund I mentioned. Just add more of a bond fund to get the stock:bond ratio you want. (That PIMCO fund is not the PIMCO Total Return fund found in everyone's non-Vanguard 401(k).)

There is no point in using Contrafund or Low-priced stock fund or any other stock fund if you have the Fidelity Spartan funds ... except you should note that the Spartan international index fund does not have emerging markets nor does it have mid/small cap international stocks. Get EM and small-cap foreign in your Roth.

If you don't have all the Spartan funds, then the Freedom fund is probably OK.

Thanks,

The ONLY Spartan fund available to me in our plan is the Spartan 500 index fund.

Mike
Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hello,

Mike
Mike, you're gonna get a million replies on this. I suggest you spend time at Morningstar for a couple of reasons: they have an x-ray tool, and the forums are finance-focused (sorta). The overall allocation is most important, as is the expense ratios of individual funds. For instance, at 57 I am approx. 60% stocks and 40% bond/fixed. My overall expense ratio is .25. So, you're on the right track. With a pension you can go with more risk.

Include all of your investments in the x-ray, and I think you'll find that you have a higher bond/fixed percentage than you think.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Mike, you're gonna get a million replies on this. I suggest you spend time at Morningstar for a couple of reasons: they have an x-ray tool, and the forums are finance-focused (sorta). The overall allocation is most important, as is the expense ratios of individual funds. For instance, at 57 I am approx. 60% stocks and 40% bond/fixed. My overall expense ratio is .25. So, you're on the right track. With a pension you can go with more risk.

Include all of your investments in the x-ray, and I think you'll find that you have a higher bond/fixed percentage than you think.
Thanks,

55% US stock
19% Foreign stock
19% Bonds
7% Cash

Mike
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks,

55% US stock
19% Foreign stock
19% Bonds
7% Cash

Mike
If that's all from the FF2030 only, then you could:
- start directing some portion of new contributions to one of the bond income funds, but not the money market
- convert some of the FF2030 to fixed fund
- slice and dice the whole thing, beginning with S&P500, and so on.
Looking backwards, FFFEX lost more than 60% off its high, and that would concern me too. You know, you can pick a more conservative fund, like 2020. Still, that fund had a steep drop, and I'd be worried.