Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Finance car advice - ghetto fabulous style
Old 11-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sarah,

Having to maintain two extra cars just so one will run and having it cost you $800/yr for maintaining the two (not including labor) sounds pretty steep. I only spend slightly more than that between maintenance and depreciation for my car I bought new over 5 years ago. I guess whatever works for you though! Time is a precious commodity to me, and spending Sunday night under the hood of my beater is something I would not like doing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #42

CJ:

When you say - I'll see how long it lasts, exactly what does that mean? *Does it mean until the engine or transmission needs rebuiding ? I suspect that what it really means is until you feel like having a better car.

Pretty much anything can be repaired on a car. It just gets down to how much are you willing to put into old betsy.

In my search for cars I have come accross a Nissan 300 with 700k miles on it. Also the Acura dealer had an old Honda with a million miles on it.

Mclesters:

My third car costs me around $250/year in insurance (liability only) and around $75 for the tags. So based on my numbers those two extra cars would cost you an extra $650 or so plus whatever money it takes to keep them running. Maybe the concept of how much money you are really saving should be reconsidered.

- Just something to think about

Old 11-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the threshhold for me is when rust becomes a problem or the car starts becoming a hopeless piece of trash and constantly breaking down.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #44

We don't really have to maintain them to some huge degree. *It's just what you're willing to do, I guess. *We like our old boat, old motorhome, and old cars a lot, so it's not some hairy hassle. *And it pleases us to know that we spend very little on them. *Different strokes for different folks. *Some of my best memories of my dad are when I was perched on the side of some car he was working on, talking about whatever was important to me at the time, and learning how the @#$% thing worked. *Thanks for generating a favorite reminiscence, Justin. *

CJ, my insurance on all of them is $716 a year and the tags are $12 a year. *The Cutlass is the only real "extra one" as the truck is needed for farm chores. *I could get rid of all of them and just drive the tractor to work at this pace!

Brewer, I'm with you--the 1984 truck isn't passable in polite company any more!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Some of my best memories of my dad are when I was perched on the side of some car he was working on, talking about whatever was important to me at the time, and learning how the @#$% thing worked. Thanks for generating a favorite reminiscence, Justin.

CJ, my insurance on all of them is $716 a year and the tags are $12 a year. The Cutlass is the only real "extra one" as the truck is needed for farm chores. I could get rid of all of them and just drive the tractor to work at this pace!
I have memories of sitting on the side of some car my dad was working on too. And he said @#$% an awful lot really loud, if memory serves me!

Our insurance for good liability, comprehensive and collision on two fairly new Hondas is $820/yr. Maintenance is maybe a few hundred/yr for scheduled maintenance and oil changes. Depreciation is what kills us, at over $1000/yr per car. But the piece of mind is worth it. Having old fixer-upper beater cars and saving a thousand bucks or so per year wouldn't be worth it to me. I guess it depends on your priorities.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
We have two spares in the POS fleet for just that possibility!* But I agree we are an unusual case!* Not everyone has room for 3 cars, a pickup truck, and an Airstream motor home in the driveway (I did say it was a POS FLEET).* And yes, my husband has experienced the Sunday night car torn apart feeling you describe!* He is 42 and will probably want later model cars when he becomes a "late model" himself in a few years, but for now, I've convinced him our possum living is leading to his retirement at 50!*
Sarah
And you also have an old boat and a tractor sitting around?* It sounds like you're on a farm way out in the middle of nowhere?* For your neighbors' sake, I hope that's the case.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #47

I hope this is not yours

Attached Images
File Type: gif motorhome.GIF (39.5 KB, 139 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gif_thumb motorhome.GIF_thumb (29.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #48

Or this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outhouseonwheels.jpg (16.5 KB, 136 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb outhouseonwheels.jpg_thumb (30.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my experience, with the usual oil changes, etc., the drive train will run nearly forever. It's all the bushings, wiring, and stuff that starts wearing out...

Myself, I HATE working on cars...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #50

ooh, ooh, where can I get one of them there mo-bile homes pitchered? and if we had yungun's--why they cud ride on top!

Well, it's 4 acres, the truck is parked next to the vintage airstream RV, the tractor is under the house (we're on the water, so the house is elevated), and the sailboat is actually kept in the water, on a mooring not far from the house (too big for a trailer). It isn't as junky as it sounds, although the sheep pen is far from Architectural Digest material. We are on an island out in the country. We did think about finding some really old stuff to put up on blocks when the house next door went up for sale for $ 550,000, though, just to keep uppity folks from moving in with us riffraff. Justice was served, as the house was purchased for list by some rednecks with money who have at last count 5 boats and two pickup trucks plus an impressive Lynyrd Skynyrd cd collection (only southerners will understand).
But if I had that mo-bile outhouse, well then even those folks might have some trouble with us.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:25 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
CJ:

When you say - I'll see how long it lasts, exactly what does that mean? *Does it mean until the engine or transmission needs rebuiding ? I suspect that what it really means is until you feel like having a better car.

I guess that means until it costs more to fix the thing than it's worth, or until I no longer think I can depend on it to get me where I want to go every day...* So far I've only had to do the routine maintenance.*

But you are right about the "until you feel like having a better car" - it's very tempting to want to get something newer and more fun!* Every now and then I see a car and "wish" I had that.* But the feeling eventually passes, until I see yet another car I like.* <sigh!>

I think that what will eventually happen is that my husband will "have to have" the pickup truck of his dreams, and I will inherit his 2001 RAV.* I have also said that maybe my Honda will be my nephew's first car.* He just turned 12.* *

CJ
Old 11-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #52

Where you live has a lot to do with how long you can will last too. If you are in the snow belt, your car may rust away long before the engine and drive train fail. The same would be true near the ocean. Salt is a nasty thing on metal over an extended period of time. Also, heat, cold, UV rays, hail, rain, etc. all have an effect on the car and the mechanical, metal, electrical, rubber and plastic parts over time.

Also, the days of the shade tree mechanic are pretty much gone. Unless you have some pretty expensive gear to "talk" to your car and make the hundreds of adjustments to the air polution control systems and fuel injection systems, you are going to have to take it some where for this kind of work.

A good reliable car in this part of the country is a requirement. 4X4 is more than a gizmo; it is required where I go.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #53

Salt, Snow - what's that ?* Don't they make those Mexican Marguarita cocktails with that ?

OK here in SoCal snow and salt are not a problem. Cars do not rust and last forever as long as they are maintained. There are lots of vintage Mustangs and Camaros etc still running around here in SoCal working as daily drivers. They have become hip to drive again. Personally I think the sixties car craze is all in people's minds. These cars handle poorly and suck down the gas - but what do I know.

You have a point about sensors and computers on newer cars. However, being a shade tree mechanic myself, I have to disagree with you about their days being gone. There are lots of common repairs on new cars like water pumps, alternators, suspension, brakes etc etc that your average Joe could handle. Sure, engine driveability diagnosis is a job left for the pros - which I indeed leave to them. If you choose to pay someone else to do those repairs to keep Betsy running then that's your choice.

My last dealings with the service department at the dealer occurred a couple of years ago and left me thinking that I won't be back soon. The heater blower fan quit on my Buick that I used to have. so I made the mistake of taking it to the dealer as I didn't feel like pulling the dash to get to it. I thought maybe an hours labor plus $40 for the part would do it - maybe. So I give it to the service advisor and tell him the blower fan motor needs to be replaced. They then charged me an hours labor for "diagnosis" at $82.50/hour. The genuine GM part retailed at $125 (avilable after market at around $20) and they charged me a few more hours for installation. The total was way over $400 and I felt like a real sucker. I won't be back there anytime soon.*

If people are paying rates like that to get their cars fixed then I can understand why people buy new cars all the time. The relative economics of new cars versus very high dealer repair costs make flipping new cars an attractive proposition.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #54

One reason a lot of those old cars handled so poorly was because the wheels and tires were often horribly inadequate and under-sized. I had a '69 Dodge Dart GT that I bought in 1989. It had those old 14" bias-ply tires on it, which was actually an upgrade...I think the cheapest Darts were still running 13" wheels back then! Anyway, I changed those old bias-plys for some decent 205/70/R-14 tires. Made a world of difference, and probably brought the handling up close to what a comparably-sized 1989 car would've been. Sure, the steering gave you no response and was overboosted, and the non-power 4-wheel drum brakes made sure that your leg muscles got a good workout, but it wasn't a bad driving car.

Some of those older cars are actually more comfortable for taller drivers, too. Most modern cars don't fit well with me because the dead pedals are often poorly placed and take up too much legroom, and the seats usually don't give me good thigh or back support, and often I find myself looking down at the rear-view mirror, instead of straight ahead at it or even slightly up at it.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try the dart with manual steering, a four speed and air shocks with the 205/70/R-14 tires. Lots of road feel. Mine was a 76 Duster though

Bruce
Old 11-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #56

Bruce, I can go one better on that (or worse, depending on your perspective )...after my '69 Dart got totaled I bought a '68 Dart 270. This one had a 318 V-8, whereas the '69 just had a slant six. It had power steering, but the pump had failed! So I had the ratio of power steering (something like 3.5 turns lock-to-lock, where I think manual is usually 4 or more), and the weight of a V-8 on the front wheels, but nothing but my own two arms to maneuver that sucker. Now that I think about it, I had some pretty nice triceps back then!

Actually, the car wasn't too bad to drive, but in tight situations such as parking, especially parallel parking, it could be rough. Or getting into the car after a good workout at the gym. I remember one of my friends took his driving test in it, failed almost immediately, and the cop that went out on the course with him had to drive it all the way through the course to get back, and he wasn't too happy about it. My buddy said he was cursing the car under his breath the whole way through!

Road feel actually seemed pretty good in that car...until I finally got the power steering fixed. Another thing that was kind of odd was that, even though it had drum brakes all around, it was almost impossible to lock them up on that car. I swear I can lock up the 4-wheel discs on my Intrepid more easily.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:03 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 (manual 5 speed) that I bought new. It has just under 70K miles now and gets a pretty steady 30mpg on the highway. It was my first ever new car which I bought because of a 50 mile/day commute. I've got zero complaints about it. I think it was car of the year in its class for several years, both in the US and in Europe.

cheers,
Michael
Old 11-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I just sold a 96 Camry that had 160,000 miles on it for $3,000.

I just bought a 2001 Camry with 79,000 miles on it for $8,350. I bought it from a private owner who had all his maintenance records showing oil changes and any repairs that were performed.

It's for my daughter to drive back and forth to school, so I wanted something with fewer miles on it.

John
Old 11-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlw
I just bought a 2001 Camry with 79,000 miles on it for $8,350.* I bought it from a private owner who had all his maintenance records showing oil changes and any repairs that were performed.
Ya gotta love those sellers. Finding just one of them makes the entire used-car experience so gratifying.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #60

1996-1999 Nissan MAxima

Thsoe motors were the #1 ranked motor (i forget by who, but whoever does the rankings) for 10 years straight!

Theyre nearly bulletproof. The trannies arent so great, but average-they'll last 150k. I'd say MOSt of these motors WILL hit 250k with reasonable maintainence...ive seen ti first hand

a 1999 max with 70-80k will run you maybe 8-9k fully loaded.