Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Finance car advice - ghetto fabulous style
Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, I stumbled across a car I really like, the Mazda 3. A coworker bought one a year ago and loves it, I love the look of it, and it's been rated a top ten most reliable car. Anyone have feedback on that car?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2005, 11:30 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Hey, I stumbled across a car I really like, the Mazda 3. A coworker bought one a year ago and loves it, I love the look of it, and it's been rated a top ten most reliable car. Anyone have feedback on that car?
Laurence: Martha's sister in LA bought one a couple years ago and is very happy with it. She drives like a maniac, misses most some mainenance items, and abuses things so bad that I can barely stand being around her when she is using anything mechanical. The car has held up beautifully. She once was driving from Chicago to LA many years ago and stopped to see us. I asked when was the last time she changed the oil. Got some weird look and a comment like "Why, I just add new as it's needed?" The worst black gunk I ever saw came out. I was going to drive it around the block and change it again but thought "The car may not make it if the oil is too clean." An old Ford. I had a 323 years ago. Excellent car at a good price. Oh, and a Mazda truck that was also very good.
Change the oil and the timing belt at 60000 miles were the only maintenance items on any of them.

--Greg

Old 11-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #63

Is your definition of a great car one that won't die when it's abused ?

While the Mazda 3 may be a great car. I have a real problem with spending $15-20k on a new car and then not ever changing the oil.

If you are of the maintenance challenged variety then I suggest you find a used car to abuse. Maybe a 5-year old car for around $5-7k that has been taken care of would fit the bill.

Then when the car has it's inevitable problems at least you could walk away from it without too much pain.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Is your definition of a great car one that won't die when it's abused ?

MasterBlaster: No! But one that is well engineered will probably take quite a bit of abuse. That was the point of my comment. I'm not recommending abuse.

--Greg
Old 11-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
I'm not recommending abuse.
But Vladimir, I thought you liked to be abused.

Lyudmila

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, I stumbled across a car I really like, the Mazda 3.* A coworker bought one a year ago and loves it, I love the look of it, and it's been rated a top ten most reliable car.* Anyone have feedback on that car?
I hear good things, but they are pretty small.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #67

If I had the guts I'd do a scientific test. I'd buy a new car and never change the oil or anything else. I'd add oil when it needed it but never change it. Then I'd see how long the engine would last. At $30/change with changes every 3k miles then I'd save around $1000/100k miles. If the engine goes 200k miles then I'd save $2000 or about enough to have a rebuilt engine installed. However I somehow don't think that the engine would get that far.

But I don't need to do this myself as my neighbor has an old Volvo that, as far as I could tell had never had the coolant changed or anything else done to it. This car was green I believe but was hard to tell as a protective coating of dirt obscurred the truth. Well the coolant had gone way past the watery green stage to the rusting badly stage. The coolant was real thick looked like mud or gravy. The engine oil was similar but was even thicker and quite a bit darker in color. After a hose burst and sprayed "gravy" all over the engine compartment it stained everything. That rust stuff never came off and the stain in the engine compartment was permanent. But that kinda went with the cars' style that had developed over the years.

But it still runs.* Those Volvos must be great cars.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Not that I would subscribe to this philosophy, but I have a friend who says that he never changes the oil in his vehicles. He claims it's a racket.

John
Old 11-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

Lyudmila
Lyudmila: NO! I like marching around naked--with my epaulets bouncing in the breeze. 8)

--Vladimer
Old 11-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Lyudmila:* NO!* I like marching around naked--with my epaulets bouncing in the breeze. 8)* --Vladimer

In Minnesota!?!?!* They'll freeze together!* Now THAT would be a cold war...
Old 11-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For your entertainment and enjoyment, the FIRE Forum brings you the adventures of Lyudmila, --Vladimer, and brewer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

Lyudmila
Quote:
Lyudmila: NO! I like marching around naked--with my epaulets bouncing in the breeze. 8)

--Vladimer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I hear good things, but they are pretty small.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #72

Getting back to the topic of the thread...

I've been toying with the idea of getting a new car for the past couple of years, but the sticker shock of both new and used cars is somewhat of a disincentive to buy anything. *A few years ago, you could get a 3-year old Honda Accord with ~35k miles for $10,000. *These days, I'm finding that one would cost ~$13,000, and that's with 40k+ miles. *I don't know about you, but why buy a 3-year old Accord at that price with those kind of miles when a new one is a few thousand more? *This is an especially good question since the expensive maintenance tasks begin to mount at 60k miles (e.g., timing belt for $500+, new brakes $300+, etc...) *It's even worse with BMWs, Mercedes, and lower-end Lexuses (Lexi?)

The foregoing is a testament to Hondas holding their value, but I'm not concerned about "holding value" when I'm the one shelling out the money to buy one. :P
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #73

Some people have, like you, noticed that late model used Japanese cars are no bargain. Therefore some advise against them. Others have noticed how American iron drops like a rock the fiirst few years.

Therefore, in my opinion Japanese cars have their best value bought new and American cars have their best value bought one to 3 years old.

Out in my neck of the woods the volume dealer is selling base Camry's for $16k and LE Camrys for $16.6k. If Camrys sell used for what Accords do then I calculate that these cars only drop around 7 percent a year. That may be pretty hard to beat.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Getting back to the topic of the thread...

I've been toying with the idea of getting a new car for the past couple of years, but the sticker shock of both new and used cars is somewhat of a disincentive to buy anything. *A few years ago, you could get a 3-year old Honda Accord with ~35k miles for $10,000. *These days, I'm finding that one would cost ~$13,000, and that's with 40k+ miles. *I don't know about you, but why buy a 3-year old Accord at that price with those kind of miles when a new one is a few thousand more? *This is an especially good question since the expensive maintenance tasks begin to mount at 60k miles (e.g., timing belt for $500+, new brakes $300+, etc...) *It's even worse with BMWs, Mercedes, and lower-end Lexuses (Lexi?)

The foregoing is a testament to Hondas holding their value, but I'm not concerned about "holding value" when I'm the one shelling out the money to buy one. :P

That's exactly why I didn't buy my subaru used (or the honda, either). Ya gotta be nuts to buy a new Merkin car, though.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bought a used '98 Bonnie in 2001 with 45k on it. *Currently at 130k, we have had to replace the intake on it twice (achilles heel of that generation 3800). *Other than that, very little out-of-ordinary maintenance.

Have had numerous people complement the interior and ride (it's an SLE - leather, bucket seats) and I love the way it rides and drives. *Runs like a sewing machine, too.

When the time comes to buy another car, I'll likely look for another GM with the 3800. *There's a boatload of them.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #76

I'm not a fan of American cars, except the Jeep line of SUVs. A Jeep Cherokee Sport SUV is relatively inexpensive to maintain, and will last for years. In fact, the body style of the Sport changed only slightly year-to-year, leaving people guessing whether a well-maintained one was new or several years old.

It all comes down to personal preference and a willingness to spend $$$ to get what you want. I guess I'm not there yet (although I'm getting there as my current car repair bills amortized over the past several months are ~$250). I'm hoping to make it through the winter before buying a new(er) car.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 11-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has 61k on it and has been perfect. That inline 6 has been built for half a century, I think they got all the bugs out at this point.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #78

Quote:
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has 61k on it and has been perfect.* That inline 6 has been built for half a century, I think they got all the bugs out at this point.*
At 61k miles, I'd like to think your Jeep (and really any car for that matter) is still in pretty good shape. For something that costs $15,000+ brand new, it ought to last at least five (5) years before needing any major repairs. While it's true that cars aren't "investments" in the truest sense of the word (they depreciate rather than appreciate), they are investments in regards to safety and reliability.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
At 61k miles, I'd like to think your Jeep (and really any car for that matter) is still in pretty good shape. For something that costs $15,000+ brand new, it ought to last at least five (5) years before needing any major repairs.
Quote:
Tell that to VW!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #80

Quote:
Tell that to VW!
Heh. I've never been a fan of German automobiles. Although BMWs and Mercedes may be fun to drive and "status" cars, they're expensive to maintain. I don't know why anyone would buy a VW when they can get a far more reliable and inexpensive to repair car from Honda, Toyota, Nissan or even Jeep.