Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Finance car advice - ghetto fabulous style
Old 11-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
I wonder if this is a Toyota thing, or perhaps a legacy of the early days when Japanese cars were designed for 5'5" Asians.* My Toyota Prius forces me to drive with my arms almost fully extended.* Annoying, actually.
the Corolla seat is more adjustable than the one in a Prius

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2005, 09:32 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tozz, I've noticed that the Camry seems to have a bit of an awkward driving position as well, so maybe it IS a Toyota thing! I can get the seat of an Accord or Altima positioned to where I have plenty of room, but not the Camry. It's still a bit short in legroom, but the steering wheel seems positioned a bit better.

Toyota did seem to get it right with the Avalon, though.

Also, which Prius do you have, Tozz? First-generation or second? A friend of mine has a second-gen Prius. I've never driven it, but as a passenger it feels pretty comfy.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:42 AM   #123

2nd generation, Andre.* Yes, the interior is quite roomy--especially rear legroom.* A couple of the local taxi companies are even trying them out for commercial service.* Dunno what the verdict is, yet.*

I just wish I knew why they placed the steering wheel so far from the driver.* You would figure that all the ergonomic standards would be pretty well settled by now.* I get no relief in my Sprinter-based motor home either.* That comes equiped with a non-adjustable Ralph Cramden style horizonal steering wheel.* How sweet it is.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
2nd generation, Andre.* Yes, the interior is quite roomy--especially rear legroom.* A couple of the local taxi companies are even trying them out for commercial service.* Dunno what the verdict is, yet.*

I just wish I knew why they placed the steering wheel so far from the driver.* You would figure that all the ergonomic standards would be pretty well settled by now.* I get no relief in my Sprinter-based motor home either.* That comes equiped with a non-adjustable Ralph Cramden style horizonal steering wheel.* How sweet it is.*
How is the Sprinter home working out? Not too small?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Yeah, but for a couple thousand more you might as well go with the Legacy.
I guess I have to recheck. I am looking at wagons, and it appeared to me that the cheapest Legacy is still almost $7000 more than the Impreza.

Ha
Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I guess I have to recheck. I am looking at wagons, and it appeared to me that the cheapest Legacy is still almost $7000 more than the Impreza.

Ha
At carsdirect.com, I get no haggle prices for the base wagon version of each:

Impreza - 18097
Legacy - 21520

- Will Rogers
Old 11-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #127

No haggle prices are fine, but Cars Direct still has to go to the dealer to locate the car. Seems to me that Cars Direct is not a non profit company, your just adding a middle man. It's OK if you want to pay more and not haggle I guess.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #128

To quote Goldilocks, it's juuuust right.* I've been jonesing for something like this for a while. Any smaller and it would only be not-quite-functional (Rialta);* any bigger and it wouldn't fulfill my nimblility requirement.* It also gets 20mpg if I hold it to the speed limit which is 2-3 times the mileage of other Class C's.* If those scary folks in the $4/gallon thread are right, I suspect the choice will look even better in the future.*

Last week's project was ripping off the Dodge grill and affixing the original Mercedes grill, no simple job with some type of urethane adhesive from hell.* I now not only act like an aristocrat.* I look like one.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
How is the Sprinter home working out?* Not too small?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
No haggle prices are fine, but Cars Direct still has to go to the dealer to locate the car.* Seems to me that Cars Direct is not a non profit company, your just adding a middle man.* It's OK if you want to pay more and not haggle I guess.
I just use it as a benchmark. When I have bought cars in the last few years, it has been a convenient way to establish a baseline.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

If I may recommend a car...the Acura TL.

I have an Acura Vigor...which "became" the TL.

Here are some of my reasonings:

1. It's a Honda. It has 210,000 miles and is still running very strong. If I wanted to, the car will EASILY last to 300,000+.
2. It's a 2.5L 5-cyl (straight 5)...a bit more power than a 4-cyl, less gas than a 6-cyl.
3. It's a "luxury" line...the doors are bit heavier, all power features are standard.
4. It's not a HUGE volume seller, so thieves won't want it (they can't re-sell the body parts/powertrain like they can with Civics, Accords, etc.).
5. It still maintains its value, but not as well as some of its more popular brothers and cousins.

I paid $2000 for my car 4 years ago from a couple where the husband just got a new Benz and the wife a new Lexus. They only had a 2-car garage. It had 145,000 miles at the time.

I spent $1500 on safety and maintenance items. Even though the tires were in good shape they were no-name tires. I had a bad experience with no-name tires blowing out on me at freeway speeds. I bought the best-rated Bridgestones to replace them.

I have also replaced the following:
-timing belt and water pump
-accessory belts
-brake master cylinder & brake pads (had the brake rotors resurfaced)
-clutch master & slave cylinders

The brakes were in "OK" shape but I would rather replace them BEFORE they failed. And being in the automotive performance industry I spent about $20 more for all 4 pads to be upgraded from OEM Honda to Hawk HPS. Being able to stop that extra 10-15 feet shorter makes a huge difference.

Other than that, it's just been oil and gas!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE:Well, after all that, we sold out to the man. After hours of on line research, cruising the lots, etc. I hit, of all places, the Volvo dealer. DW had one and loved them, so I thought we'd just cross it off the list. Well, it's the end of the year, and they had some 2005s left over. Specifically, they had a loaner S60 (normally 30k) with a whopping 7k miles on it for sale for 19k. Dual climate control yadda yadda, and really a nice ride. We bought it. I know, I know, not the cheapest we could have gone, but it feels like true luxury for just a couple grand more than a civic. Plus free maintenence (even oil changes) and new car bumper to bumper warranty. Not that I'm trying to rationalize/justify it (yes I am). I admit we just really, really liked the car. And it's black:

Old 12-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Good choice! Always liked Vulvas...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Good choice! Always liked Vulvas...
I thought I was the only one who did a name play on Volvos. My mind is perpetually in the gutter.

Awesome deal, Laurence!

Old 12-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

I think you made a good choice

Nice car, L, enjoy it. I think you made a good choice.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #135

I don't have any of those, but I pay them lip service!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Laurence--

Ireally wish you well with your Volvo. Mine was an absolute
nightmare. It was a 2000 S80 T06 with 17000 mi when I bought it in 03 from a Volvo dealer. I got it for less than KBB and was thrilled at the bargain I drove. A month later, Volvo HQ pulled the dealership and all the parts and specialized garage equipment. Any warranty necessitated a 3 hr drive each way. Even getting an oil change was a hassle--no 10 min "Quick Lube" would touch it. And parts? Let me just say Sweden must be a long way away!!!!!!!!

Bottom line: it was a lemon and a money pit!!!!!! I hope you fare better than me. I hate undependable (and expensive to maintain) cars. My Volvo was the poster car for both!!!!!!! Never again.

Professor
Old 12-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I don't have any of those, but I pay them lip service!
Says the guy with a talking beaver...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #138

Nice purchase Lawrence. I'm still holding off on buying a new(er) car until winter is finished. The idea of buying a new(er) car and having it coated with sand and salt immediately after driving it off the lot, not to mention parking it outside for the next several months, doesn't sit well with me.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

I've driven a Volvo for 13 years now-the same one. We bought it when I was 39 weeks pregnant with #2. I wanted something safe and roomy (wagon).* Luckily, I never needed to test it's safety features with them in the car but this spring I rear-ended (OK, I can hear all the jokes coming) someone in an older model Suburban.* Crinkled my hood and broke the grill but she still runs like a ...emphysemic cat.* Still going strong at 200,000+. But I know the end is coming-there is this high-pitced whirring sound, which i call Hyperspeed, but it can't be good long-term. I've been looking at what I might buy when the time comes and keep thinking Honda/Toyota but just hate to not have another Volvo-this car has been so good.

So Laurence, I hope you have the same success.

Judy
Old 12-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
I've driven a Volvo for 13 years now-the same one. We bought it when I was 39 weeks pregnant with #2. I wanted something safe and roomy (wagon).* Luckily, I never needed to test it's safety features with them in the car but this spring I rear-ended (OK, I can hear all the jokes coming) someone in an older model Suburban.* Crinkled my hood and broke the grill but she still runs like a ...emphysemic cat.* Still going strong at 200,000+. But I know the end is coming-there is this high-pitced whirring sound, which i call Hyperspeed, * but it can't be good long-term.* I've been looking at what I might buy when the time comes and keep thinking Honda/Toyota but just hate to not have another Volvo-this car has been so good.

So Laurence, I hope you have the same success.

Judy

Check out a Subaru. They have thus far retained some of the pleasant quirkiness of the older Volvos (without the gauges/instructions in Swedish).

- Will Rogers