Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway19145 View Post
So, common theme is to learn it all and do it myself.
Yes, but the secret the financial industry doesn't want you to know is that the "all" you have to learn really isn't much, nor is it difficult to learn.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #22

While I completely agree with the advice to get educated on your own, there is nothing wrong with consulting professionals for advice. Fee-only planners can help you with asset allocation, general financial strategies, etc.

I find Kiplinger to be an excellent and trustworthy source of general financial advice. Here's an article from them on selecting financial advisors:
https://www.kiplinger.com/article/cr...l-planner.html
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes, but the secret the financial industry doesn't want you to know is that the "all" you have to learn really isn't much, nor is it difficult to learn.
Ding, ding.

I'm pretty sure Bogle received death threats.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And to put a finer point on that, all you need to know is that in the accumulation phase, a reasonably aggressive investor would probably be well served with an 80/20 AA ( 80% equities, 20% fixed income). You can do that with one Total Stock Market Index fund/ETF and one Total Bond Index fund/ETF.

You could get a bit fancier with some Int'l, some REITS, but it probably won't make any big difference in the long run. And that is so easy to DIY, it isn't even funny. Far easier than picking an FA.

Studies show that few FAs beat the market, and you don't know which ones they are in advance, so it's a moot point.

Quote:
I totally understand that. For me, though, performance is #1; Customer service is #2. Unfortunately, my finances are quite complex so I am in need of tax and planning professionals.
As other's have said, for tax issues you need a tax professional, not an FA.

I'm confused about 'my finances are complex'? If this is due to a business, that's separate from investments. I fail to see how a business would change what you invest in outside that business?

Quote:
... I just bought an engagement ring so a house will follow and the one thing I have always wanted is a boat. So lots of planning needed! ..
Well, an anchor came with the engagement ring, so you are half-way there! <j/k>

Welcome to the forum, and a Happy 4th to you too! (caught my typo to vs too)

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Conway19145,

You may find this short book helpful. It goes over all the important points of the three fund index investing approach. It will be well worth your time. The book was just released so it won't yet be in libraries.

Best of luck to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Gu...folio+larimore
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
As other's have said, for tax issues you need a tax professional, not an FA.

I'm confused about 'my finances are complex'? If this is due to a business, that's separate from investments. I fail to see how a business would change what you invest in outside that business?
Yes, I agree. I guess my issue with my previous/current situation was/is, is that my FA and CPA wouldn't communicate. It drove me nuts. I just want a clear-cut strategy that will work. Instead, I was a constant middleman conveying info. No matter how many times I made this clear, nothing changed. I guess, for me, when I offer a business service to my clients, I take care of everything so they have little to worry about. I also charge a lot for my services but people who don't want to worry about things, don't mind paying. I'd like to find someone with this mentality, but they seem to be few and far between.

When I say complex, I own a few corporations. Sure, they're self sufficient but I do occasionally make investments with a focus on growth. I have various retirement plans (Some of which have had to be rolled over or moved - which is where a CPA comes into play). I also have many sources of income. In addition to that, I own a few million square feet of real estate which are all structured differently. My annual tax return is grossly complicated because of this.

For me, saving 1% management fees comes nowhere close to saving .5% at work. That is where I spend most of my time and energy.

My girlfriend constantly yells at me for working a lot. But the difference between her and I is, she shows up to work, collects a paycheck and comes home. I on the other hand, have to no only worry about my best interests at home, but I have to worry about 1,000 others and their families. I have to worry about turning as much of a profit so I can fully maximize my exit strategy.

Quote:
Well, an anchor came with the engagement ring, so you are half-way there! <j/k>

Welcome to the forum, and a Happy 4th to you to!

-ERD50
Haha!!! This made me laugh out loud. Thank you!!

I will take a look at the book that Helen mentioned.

Thank you all!!
conway19145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I agree. I guess my issue with my previous/current situation was/is, is that my FA and CPA wouldn't communicate. It drove me nuts. I just want a clear-cut strategy that will work. Instead, I was a constant middleman conveying info. No matter how many times I made this clear, nothing changed. ...
Maybe because there wasn't really anything the FA could do?

Quote:
... I guess, for me, when I offer a business service to my clients, I take care of everything so they have little to worry about. I also charge a lot for my services but people who don't want to worry about things, don't mind paying. I'd like to find someone with this mentality, but they seem to be few and far between. ...

... For me, saving 1% management fees comes nowhere close to saving .5% at work. That is where I spend most of my time and energy. ...
Likely because you offer experience, and/or have tools or time to do what your clients cannot do, or at least you do it better than they can.

But that doesn't apply in most cases to an FA. The studies show that that there aren't stock picking tools or experience that works reliably - they can't predict the future. So you do better on average with the "Couch Potato" approach (but & hold a few simple broad-based index funds). It is so simple/easy, it doesn't take any special knowledge or time and anyone can do it. It's not about trading money for a service in return, it's about giving someone money, and getting essentially nothing for it.

I know it seems like a pro should do it better, like in most professions, but FA just isn't one of them (at least for the basic investment part of it).

-ERD50
Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Maybe because there wasn't really anything the FA could do?

Likely because you offer experience, and/or have tools or time to do what your clients cannot do, or at least you do it better than they can.

But that doesn't apply in most cases to an FA. The studies show that that there aren't stock picking tools or experience that works reliably - they can't predict the future. So you do better on average with the "Couch Potato" approach (but & hold a few simple broad-based index funds). It is so simple/easy, it doesn't take any special knowledge or time and anyone can do it. It's not about trading money for a service in return, it's about giving someone money, and getting essentially nothing for it.

I know it seems like a pro should do it better, like in most professions, but FA just isn't one of them (at least for the basic investment part of it).

-ERD50
I had to take annual disbursements out of my account with Morgan Stanley and my accountant called to notify them, but then my FA would call me to ask a questions, and this was the whole go around. My FA also made decisions that they shouldn't have (And more importantly, I shouldn't have followed their advice - totally my fault). So, in my opinion, there was a lot my FA could have done that didn't involve picking investments. Oh well. It was an expensive mistake, which I call, tuition. Live and learn!

Thanks for your help, ERD50!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Amen to that.
I'm trying to guide a young man as he recovers from a death, and opens his new business. He is very smart, but I can tell that he believes the sharks that circled his father really do have some secret sauce. He sends me 30-page MS slide shows. I try to begin with basic concepts, but he is having a difficult time understanding why simple is better. Another behaviour I see is that he just wants his "shiny things". The shiny things held by father are now a heavy weight on the estate. And the maintenance and carrying costs of these things were a factor in death at 55.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

If your FA averaged 20% per year over the last 10 years he beat the market soundly.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
If your FA averaged 20% per year over the last 10 years he beat the market soundly.
But he has also made expensive (Careless) mistakes. I can't get an hour meeting for updates, planning or anything. It's incredibly frustrating. He performs but his service is terrible. I'm conflicted.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had an accountant who made numerous mistakes so I just hired a new one, so we shall see. Right now, my fees at Morgan Stanley are 0.9% and I have been earning on average 20.8% for the past ten years. Making 20% and not having to research, make phone calls, follow the market in-depth and ultimately, buy, is quite nice. I have a small real estate holdings portfolio so that is where I put my time and energy.
Do you know whether the performance figure is based on XIRR or something like that. Different institutions have different calcs and name for the calc. It may be called personal performance, or something like that.

Since the 10 yr S&P 500 average return is a bit over 10%, getting 2X's that is fantastic.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Do you guys have any good questions to ask FA's? Anything that I should look out for?
First decide if you want a broker, a salesman, or a real Financial Adviser.

If the latter, start at: Financial Advisors & Planning Professionals | CFP - Let&#39;s Make a Plan

Here are some good questions: https://www.edelmanfinancial.com/edu...ancial-advisor Pick some that apply to your specific needs.

Look out for a Fee-Only Fiduciary Adviser. Talk to several before deciding on one.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'd keep that guy doing my investments and hire another guy for advice. If the 20% includes his careless expensive mistakes he paid for those too.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right now, my fees at Morgan Stanley are 0.9% and I have been earning on average 20.8% for the past ten years.
That is worth a very hard examination, relative to applicable indexes.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
......Are there any good excel sheets or calculators that you can recommend for calculating future value of money or retirement yields? Right now, I save about 30% of my paycheck and plan to do so for the rest of my life but I'd like to calculate A) What I will have and when so I know B) When I can make a boat purchase to sustain an upward trend in my portfolio. Unfortunately, my family history is not in my favor as most pass before the age of sixty. So, the sooner I can achieve my goal, the better. I'd like to at least enjoy a little bit of it

Thanks again, everyone!
Welcome to the forum. The forum was originally established as a support group for the Firecalc calculator. You can enter the variables you mention*, including a future large purchase, and it will provide answers to your questions and more. Make sure to read and understand what the Firecalc results are telling you. They are based on certain assumptions like all financial calculators and it is important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the tool. Members here will be glad to answer questions regarding the use of Firecalc.

*Since you have several businesses and real estate, you may need to make some assumptions on investment returns within Firecalc instead of using the set assumptions. But, Firecalc will allow you to do this.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conway19145
Right now, my fees at Morgan Stanley are 0.9% and I have been earning on average 20.8% for the past ten years.
That is worth a very hard examination, relative to applicable indexes.
Wow, 20% per year compounded for 10 years is over 6x growth! SPY grew 1.6X the past 10 years. Amazing performance!

Love to see how that was done.
edit/add: So maybe this was the Dave Ramsey version of "average returns", where a minus 40% and a plus 80% give you a 20% "average return", but does worse than the S&P?

Code:
0.6    0.60
1.8    1.08
0.6    0.65
1.8    1.17
0.6    0.70
1.8    1.26
0.6    0.76
1.8    1.36
0.6    0.82
1.8    1.47
1.2     < Average
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'd keep that guy doing my investments and hire another guy for advice. If the 20% includes his careless expensive mistakes he paid for those too.
No, I'd dump the guy/gal. If he/she really did that well, I'd expect reversion to the mean. Get out while the gettin's good!

-ERD50
Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
What kind of errors and what type of investments? Both are pushing credibility without details!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #39

Quote:
No, I'd dump the guy/gal. If he/she really did that well, I'd expect reversion to the mean. Get out while the gettin's good!
But you would have said the same in each of the previous years, so you would have missed out on a lot of gains. (Assuming they were relatively level).
Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
But you would have said the same in each of the previous years, so you would have missed out on a lot of gains. (Assuming they were relatively level).
Of course. But w/o a crystal ball, that is still the reasonable approach.

It's like saying buying lottery tickets is smart - after you won.

It's also assuming the claims are true. And if they are Dave Ramsey style 'average returns', the S&P did better anyhow!

-ERD50