Join Early Retirement Today
Financial Guidance Book For Recent College Grad?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Financial Guidance Book For Recent College Grad?

I'm no "Young Dreamer", but rather the father of 2 soon-to-be college grads. I'd love to be able to present them some kind of financial guidance on the road ahead as they maneuver through life, especially their 20's and 30's. I try to give them a foundation of good advice, but I'm far enough away from that time in my life that I'm convinced I can't relate to much of what they may be encountering. Besides, a message from me about how not to get into trouble financially probably sounds just preachy enough that it's taken with a "Yeah, sure Dad" attitude. I've been impressed reading some of the posts here by those young'uns just starting out who seem to have it squared away, so I'm posting this question in the "Young Dreamers" forum to solicit the name of a book (or other medium) that you found provided not only the "how to" of sound financial planning while young, but also, perhaps even more importantly, the "why". I did a skim-search for something similar before posting this, and there are some references to be found, but they seem to go back more than a few years. I'm looking for latest/greatest, but I'll be happy to know of an old stand-by. Thanks in advance! (BTW, all suggestions are welcome, not just those from the Young Dreamers!)

"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near. Let it roll, baby, roll." - The Doors
Tree-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I gave DD a subscription to Money magazine when she graduated from college. While Money is less than perfect, I think that by and large they focus on the right things (LBYM, minimize credit card debt, save regularly, invest in low-cost index funds, etc).

After a year or so, DD told me she really didn't have time to read it so I didn't renew it. Nonetheless, she is doing well - owns her own place, LBYM, has retirement savings more than many adults my age, etc.

I think the important things are to LBYM and save and invest regularly. I know when I was that age I realized that if funds hit my bank then it is likely they would be spent, so I made sure to have savings taken out of my paycheck.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
I gave my son "Bogleheads Guide to Investing" this year for Xmas. He read it and immediately began switching his mutual funds to Vanguard. He is doing fine, living at about 30% of net income, debt free, no college loans, has more invested than many 50 YO's.

I gave the same thing to my daughter a few years ago. She is now in grad school so not too interested in investing beyond human capital. However she and her DH are buying a home, maxing his 401 and doing the LBYM thing with vigor.

Good Scottish stock.
"Here's to them who would read,
Here's to them that would write.
There's none ever feared that the Truth would be heard,
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Start them off with something easy especially if they are not much interested in personal finance or investing to begin with. I recommend "The Only Investment Guide you'll Ever Need" by Andrew Tobias. Its an easy read, and a good starter book. Even some humor in there.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'll bet there are some good threads on this site that would also make for good reading for recent grads, and you can't beat the price.
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
The Millionaire Next Door? I think it was the first time I realized that millionaires look like regular people and why.

The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous and Broke by Suze Orman?
iam21177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
"The Wealthy Barber." Enjoyable quick-read, yet provides nice 'n' easy practical advice. I think it's a great starter book. And if they read nothing else, they'll still have a good personal finance foundation.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
My dad gave me "Getting Loaded" by a bit after college. I think that it was a pretty good starter, though to be fair, like many around here, I probably have some natural inclinations in this direction. Out of print now, but amazon is showing over 60 copies available. I lent out my copy (maybe to my brother?) and haven't seen it in years.

Getting Loaded: 50 Start Now Strategies for Making a Million While You're Still Young Enough to Enjoy It: Peter Bielagus: 9780451205926: Books
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Here is a thread that is directly related and that I found useful.

What's the best overall Money Management book?
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
I was most impacted by Get Clark Smart and The Millionaire Next Door as a new college grad ten years ago. They both served me we.l
chasesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
My vote goes to "The Richest Man in Babylon".
The free ebook is available on a google search.
hsv_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Over the yrs I've learned a lot from American Association of Individual Investors. Found their articles high quality & representing wide range of viewpoints.

AAII: The American Association of Individual Investors

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote