FIRE Friendly Careers

ambition187 said:
However, I've heard engineering gigs can be kind of disappointing career wise (hard to get promoted, bureaucracy, hard work doesn't get you much).

This hasn't been my experience, and I've worked for one of the biggest tech megacorps out there. Of course bureaucracy is very real, but that's going to be true for any large company you work with, engineering or otherwise. You're not going to get rich*, but it's a decent living, and I still find the work interesting after 9 years. I've come to the conclusion that I can't ask for much more than getting paid pretty well for interesting work. There are so many other sh*tty jobs out there that pay a lot less. But the bottom line is that if it's not interesting to you, then it's not worth it.

* EDIT: I don't mean you won't be able to FIRE, just that you won't be "living large," as the kids say. But then again, if you're looking to FIRE, you won't be doing that anyway.

1966 - 1993 American SST, Skylab, Viking, Space Shuttle. Ala the late Joseph Campbell 'follow your bliss'.

Beat those Ruskies, final frontier and all that rot.

Decent pay didn't hurt either. Although aerospace was famous for feast and famine depending on your skill subset.

So where's the romance for this generation - genetic's, bio medical, the oceans, space, international business? There has got to be a noble cause beyond just the money - or is that just 60's history.

heh heh heh - :D

meets your requirements but does require more education:

Radiologist. also right up your alley with lots of physics, tech, etc.

starting salaries not unheard of >$350k/y, PT jobs several thousand $/weekend, starting pay (like for most medical specialties) actually less in more metro areas since usually more desirable to live in.

Hey Ambition,

Concerning your question about travel, yes, I often do travel alot, tho you can throttle it somewhat. When you work as an field apps engineer under sales, you go to the customer alot for pre-sales meetings and benchmarks. Sometimes it's just for a day, sometimes a week, sometimes your back every week tho you usually come home for weekends. I got a gig in 2004 that let me spend the year supporting products all over Europe, that was great and all accommodations, food, etc paid for ! You need to like to travel a bit, but you have some control as well. Just remember, you want to be in a pre-sales role, having some control over bringing in a big purchase order makes you valuable, and you usually get a better salary + commissions as well...

just my $.02

-Pan-

btw: I worked in defense for the first three years of my life, they paid well going in, but didn't nearly keep up with the industry. Follow John Greaney's advice on the retireearlyhomepage, jump when you get a better offer.

Anything that allows consulting/contracting would be considered FIRE firendly... This would allow one to work temporary jobs and not work for longer periods.

pharmasist

- $115K per year.
- Paid uniform
- live anywhere
- can cut hours as you achive FIRE
- Can leave and come back without missing a single raise.

Downside ...

- As exciting as working at McDonalds.

Back
Top Bottom